Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:35 PM

180 posts, read 597,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Calling some of the bigotry in this thread "thinly veiled" would be an insult to all thinly veiled sentiments in the world. It's comical that someone would act like NHL and NFL players are angels, all the while using Pac Man Jones as an example of why Nashville shouldn't want the NBA.

WOW! Not a single ounce of bigoty here and the fact that you THINK I am when you don't have a clue who I am is insulting at best. Not to mention, flamebait and that is breaking the rules of this board. You are also putting words into my mouth about the NFL and NHL players. Man o man, if only you could read.

I got nothing else for you partner. Nothing at all.

The current "Players" in the NBA couldn't hold the jockstraps of players like Jordan, Chamberlain, and Bird. Heck, they don't belong in the same locker room with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 PM

149 posts, read 478,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
2007 Oakland MSA

2007 San Francisco-Oakland MSA

2007 Pittsburgh MSA

2007 Nashville MSA

I was talking about city limits. Plus, I do not think Oakland's metro is that big. And, I think SF'S metro is bigger. I could be wrong.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
I was talking about city limits. Plus, I do not think Oakland's metro is that big. And, I think SF'S metro is bigger. I could be wrong.

Dude, franchises look at MSA's. Not the city population. Good grief!

Oakland is all part of San Fransisco!!!! That, my friend, is pretty darn big!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
Dude, franchises look at MSA's. Not the city population. Good grief!

Oakland is all part of San Fransisco!!!! That, my friend, is pretty darn big!

Well, our metro is growing!!!

I bet if it reached 2,000,000, and we shipped out the preds, we would get a basketball team.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Well, our metro is growing!!!

I bet if it reached 2,000,000, and we shipped out the preds, we would get a basketball team.

The growth has slowed dramatically recently.

Preds aren't going anywhere and we won't see this metro reach 2 million for a while. We still have easily, 500,000 people to add and with the current economic problems, that number is that much harder to reach. I pray to God that when we do reach that number, the suburban sprawl is curbed.

What's your beef with hockey anyway? I don't claim to be a HUGE hockey fan although I love to go to games (was a season ticket holder until last year). This is the second, or third, post you've made bashing a franchise, the only major professional franchise at that, that carries the name of our city.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 PM

153 posts, read 689,622 times
Quote:

Preds aren't going anywhere and we won't see this metro reach 2 million for a while. We still have easily, 500,000 people to add and with the current economic problems, that number is that much harder to reach. I pray to God that when we do reach that number, the suburban sprawl is curbed.

What's your beef with hockey anyway? I don't claim to be a HUGE hockey fan although I love to go to games (was a season ticket holder until last year). This is the second, or third, post you've made bashing a franchise, the only major professional franchise at that, that carries the name of our city.
The preds have threatened to leave town repeatedly, and cannot fill their seats. The NHL as a whole is barely staying in business--cancelled 2004-2005 season anyone?

You claim that the NBA would give Nashville a "black eye," and reference a football player as evidence? As far as I can see, the appeal of the NHL is strictly the fights, the NFL is a sport based on violence, and you feel that the NBA would give Nashville a black eye.

I wonder how much basketball you watch when you make statements like: "The current "Players" in the NBA couldn't hold the jockstraps of players like Jordan, Chamberlain, and Bird." To say that players like Shaq, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Lebron, Kobe, etc couldn't hold their own is simply asinine. Arguing about how to rank each player is one thing--claiming that they are in different leagues is simply evidence that you must not be paying any attention.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Why would anyone go see a ball team with all the other entertainment going on in Nashville. Nashville is fine as it is.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Why would anyone go see a ball team with all the other entertainment going on in Nashville. Nashville is fine as it is.

I would agree with you on this for the most part. If you absolutely have to have an NBA fix, drive down to Memphis and get your itch scratched. It's not that far away and the FedEx Forum is a cool venue! Tickets aren't hard to come by either!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Memphis has a smaller metro than Nashville and Memphis has a basketball team/ Explain that.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Memphis has a smaller metro than Nashville and Memphis has a basketball team/ Explain that.

They gave a dolled up package to the Vancouver Grizzlies to move there. Just like Oklahoma City and the Sonics. Now look at how pathetic the Grizzlies are. They can't even halfway fill up a brand new, well almost brand new, arena in a city that begged to get the NBA there. No excuse.

As for the Preds in a earlier post, this season the attendance numbers have been pretty good. A gentle steady climb has been the trend year after year. As for the fights, you have to understand the game and you clearly do not Ben. Fighting is PART of the game and most of the time, these guys who fight go out for beers afterward. I know because I have friends who used to play for the Preds and would engage in this behaviour from time to time. Want an NBA player that is a black eye, try Latrell Sprewell for starters. Need more?

People who gripe about hockey fights are typically those who don't attend games and don't understand the games. Before you take on a sport and try to berate it, you must understand it and know about it and the history. Don't talk about something you don't understand.

Ben, I come from a state (Kentucky) where you are born into basketball unlike Tennessee. I've played all my life up until college and have friends who have played D1 college ball. I also used to work in the media and was good friends with former NBA players in Kentucky. I feel I am qualified to talk about the sport I was basically born into.

Also Ben, LeBron can't score without walking halfway down the court. Most purist would agree the game has been dramatically dumbed down in the last 10 to 15 years. Jordan was a much better pure scorer and a superior talent THUS FAR. LeBron still has a long way to go and with the right team, he will make it. Still, Jordan has the rings and the MVP's to prove his worth to the league. Everyone wants to be like Mike!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville