Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,125 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move to Nashville. We are looking to rent for the first year. What areas can you live in that you would be able to walk around town for errands, shopping, dining etc. We don't know the city well enough yet to know what part of town has what yet. So any info on the vibe of each area would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 04:17 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate109 View Post
My husband and I want to move to Nashville. We are looking to rent for the first year. What areas can you live in that you would be able to walk around town for errands, shopping, dining etc. We don't know the city well enough yet to know what part of town has what yet. So any info on the vibe of each area would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to say, but none. Some on this board may claim Hillsboro Village is walkable, but I disagree. Nashville is not a walkable city. Perhaps, I am biased coming from NY, but you will almost definitely need a car in Nashville.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,872 times
Nashville will never be New York in my lifetime, my brother lives in Hillsboro Village & hasn't had a car for years. I could do without one in East Nashville by taking mass transit but I chose to keep my car & I ride the bus too.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM

153 posts, read 525,933 times
hillsboro/belmont/12 S is walkable. no doubt about it. cafes, restaurants, grocery, parks, etc.

you will of course still need a car as you will also want to go to other places. walkable does not equal no car in nashville (or really anywhere in US outside of NY).

If you are with Vandy or Belmont, they have zipcars now, so that could help if you wanted.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
you will of course still need a car as you will also want to go to other places. walkable does not equal no car in nashville (or really anywhere in US outside of NY).
Not true. Most cities with a good mass transit system are walkable. Chicago, DC, Boston, San Francisco, are ones that first pop to mind.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
hillsboro/belmont/12 S is walkable. no doubt about it.
"No doubt about it." Then, why do so many people disagree with your remark? To some, Hillsboro Village is walkable. To others, not so much.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM

48 posts, read 160,468 times
We are definitely not walkable by Chicago or NY city's standards. However, there is certainly a resurgence of urban communities that are working to create neighborhoods with walkable ammenities. Hillsboro Village definitely fits the bill, I lived over there for years and walked shops,bars, restaurants, parks. East Nashville has the 5 points area, 12south has a great strip, and there are some pockets in Germantown,etc.. There has been some investment in our bus service, some new hybrid buses have been added and we have a mayor who hopes to see downtown blossom into a more walkable connected community. So, yes there are options but you aren't going to get lost in a sea of interconnected districts just yet.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:46 AM

137 posts, read 630,029 times
it's walkable if you buy a treadmill

Old 06-21-2009, 04:02 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Kate, you didn't specifically say you were trying to get by without a car, so I'm guessing you don't need to walk everywhere, you just prefer to do so when possible. If so, that would definitely open up more options, especially outside of the city core. Not New York-walkable in the sense of never having to leave your city block, but places where the shopping and residential are next door and designed for people to be able to get back and forth easily on foot. Lenox Village, Providence in Mt. Juliet, McKay's Mill in Franklin among others would fit that description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville