Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 AM

34 posts, read 186,930 times

Advertisements

There is another article in todays City Paper about Winberry Place.

This time it refers to "the charming Cleveland Park historic area"

the last article I read called it "the troubled Cleveland Park area"

a definite improvement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Default N 2nd St

There is a WONDERFUL house in the 1200 block of N 2nd st that is not listed with a realtor, but is for sale. If anyone knows anyone that is interested in finding a house to rehab, they should look at this one. It is across the steet from my house. It is a victorian style house, with very few modifications. The architecture is very good. The ceilings have been lowered, but other than that everything else is original.
If anyone is interested email me and I will put you in contact with the owner.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 PM

25 posts, read 77,419 times
Default Lockeland Springs and Cleveland Park

As someone who owns in Cleveland Park, lived in the community and now lives three block outside of the neighborhood, CP is a great place to live. We moved to Lockeland Springs when it wasn't what it is now. I drive around Cleveland Park and am reminded so much of what Lockeland Springs used to look like. If you have questions about Cleveland Park's potential, just drive through Lockeland Springs and notice the similarities.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM

45 posts, read 166,373 times
Just bumping this a bit.
What's up in Cleveland Pk these days? Are things still humming, real estate-wise, or have things slowed down a bit?

How's life on N. 2nd?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 PM

25 posts, read 77,419 times
Default Hey Whit

Good to see you Whit! Life is still hoppin' in CP. North 2nd is getting two new Hope 6 homes. Both went under contract immediately. I was at the Governor's Housing Summit today and yesterday. Cleveland Park was one of the stops on the tour of impressive emerging communities in Nashville. It was cool to see the place I love included as a "cream that rose".

Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 AM

142 posts, read 637,992 times
Nevermind the driveby on Stockell last night.

Of course, there also was a shooting right down the street from the house we ended up going with as well (Greenwood).

Gotta love life in the city.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Brian - what is a Hope 6 home?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,739 times
Talking how come no responses in so long?

I am from Nashville originally and moved to the great city of Chicago 6years ago. I haved lived and owned a condo downtown just off michigan ave. and have also lived and still live in the uptown neighborhood an up and coming neighborhood still with homeless and drug deals etc. I have to say if I had never moved I may also be as ignorant as some Nashvilleians are about east nashville but thankfully I'm not. It kills me how my friends cringe when I say I'm coming to town and I wanna go eat over there or when I say I may move home and open a business over there. I'm sorry but just cause there are black people in the street does'nt mean they are running around slitting peoples throats. You better bet that I am putting a offer in on a house in Cleveland park as soon as I can. I missed the germantown,lockeland springs, eastland boom and areas and parts I cant offord here in Chicago I will not miss this one.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 AM

142 posts, read 637,992 times
does'nt mean they are running around slitting peoples throats.

Funny you mention that...some chick working at a Mexican restaurant just S. of Inglewood had that exact thing happen to her last week.

But in all seriousness, East Nashville is no worse than pretty much any other area in the city. West Nashville just had 5 people murdered in 7 days a week or two ago. ***** happens. You're much more likely to get killed driving to work. Just live life and enjoy where you are, no matter where it is.

An interesting stat I read the other day. Only 18% of the murders in Nashville from 1975-2005 were committed by a perpetrator who did not know the victim...so as long as you don't keep that type of company, you should be in pretty good shape.

That being said, Cleveland Park is still very shady and in the 5 or so visits I made there while looking for a house in the area, I saw two or three drug deals right in front of me. The people over there don't give a flip about police...and that's what scares me. As much as I'd love to take advantage of the inevitable gentrification that is going/will go on there, I've also got to live around that and I'm just not brave enough. I'd prefer to pay 20,000 more to live in Eastwood Neighbors (which is where I ended up buying), make 20-50k less after the sale, and keep my sanity/health.

More power to ya if you are brave enough though, and good luck.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 AM

625 posts, read 4,570,852 times
I'm from Memphis, so I know about crime...I will give Nashville this-the rate of RANDOM violent crime is pretty low compared to Memphis. kcnative is right, most crime here occurs between people who know each other vs. in Memphis where thugs will target random people who they can rob/kill-I think that has a lot to do with the entitlement/"us against them" mentality in Memphis, but I won't get into that here...the thing that scares me about the future of the criminal element in Nashville though is the misdirected focus of the police force...I've observed that they're more interested in catching speeders than getting out in the community to prevent crime and catch criminals. In Memphis, yes you'll see speed traps on occassion, but in general they are just using that to have a legit reason to find drugs/etc. In Nashville, they just want to ticket regular citizens trying to get to work, etc...case in point, two motorcycle cops were lasering and pulling over cars this morning during rush hour on 65 South which is pretty wide open in the mornings going that direction so it's not like they're trying to prevent accidents by getting speeders-they just want the bucks.

FYI, for cities with population 500K or more: Memphis is ranked #3...Nashville #7
City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Guess Nashville is trying to catchup to Memphis!

Nashville was also ranked Top 5 on the speed trap list! Tennessean.com Blogs » Blog Archive » Nashville one of the worst speed-trap cities? (http://support.tennessean.com/blogs/?p=3648 - broken link) and other sources...

Last edited by scottv; 11-15-2007 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville