Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannamaki View Post
I was there on sunday with my husband to looking for a house in East nashville and Cleveland park. We did tour in 2-3 house in cleveland park. We love those house Great house but the most scared people on the street make us think twice to buy house there. I have to stay home allday while my husband go to work in city with my baby in these area. I think i gonna pass this area though even it will be great investment in next 3-5 years.
You should a least think about movin there in another time because i use to live there im not tryin to scare you or nothing but any where you go bad things can happen but like 2 days after me and my mom move up there i house was shoot at because this boy used to live there and he went to state custody because his dad killed his mom in that home. And he did not want nobody to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,385 times
Default Lischey and Vernon Winfrey

I know its been a while since this thread was used, but anyone still interested in talkin' Cleveland Park? I'm from Chicago, 25 yr old guy who has lived in Hillsboro Village for the last year. I'm looking to buy and am unfortunately priced out of much of East Nashville (Hillsboro Village is not nearly as "hip" as everyone says, particularly when you're not a student anymore, plus I love all the little bars and restaurants in East Nashville, and the idea of owning a home is just too much to pass up). I've found myself looking in Cleveland Park and have found this particular forum to be full of wonderful insight. That said, has anyone heard anything further about the Winberry development? I looked it up and I see that that they've gone through all the zoning ordinances for it, so they should be breaking ground soon, right? Also, can any of the local posters shed a little light on Lischey between Cleveland and say, Evanston?
Thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM

142 posts, read 638,153 times
I can't speak to the specific areas about which you are asking, but wanted to let you know that there has been a BIG crackdown (no pun intended) on drug trafficking in that area. From a City Paper article I read a week or two ago, police were hoping that the bulk arrests could transform the area overnight.

I don't know how likely THAT is, but it's positive news, nonetheless.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:15 AM

150 posts, read 619,933 times
Default I'll always talk Cleveland Park--probably more than you would like :)

Since you've read this thread, you have likely seen my past posts. I moved here from Chicago in 2003 and am a neighborhood organizer. I am on Stainback between Vaughn and Evanston, one block from the part of Lischey that you asked about. I know some great folks that live in that part of Lischey. The truth is the two blocks you referenced vary wildly with homes closer to Evanston being generally nicer than those closer to Cleveland. Personally, I would not want to live on a street with as much car and foot traffic as Lischey has, but that is just me. I like my quiet street that doesn't go through to Cleveland. There are some real gems on Lischey, though.

The most recent skinny I have heard on the Winberry Development (bearing in mind it is at least second hand) is that Vernon Winfrey is trying to be nice to the guy who runs the little yellow market that was scheduled to be demolished in February or March and the owner of the market (the business, not the building) doesn't want to go. So there are just some personal politics going on, as far as I can tell. At the same time, I do wonder if the current financial climate hasn't give the Winfrey family pause. I know it would give me pause.

That said, the market in Cleveland Park and neighboring McFerrin Park is still pretty strong with sellers frequently getting more than the asking price (according to Nashville And Beyond (http://nashvilleandbeyond.com/blog2.html - broken link)). That doesn't mean there aren't some homes for sale just sitting, but I would say the seller has likely seriously over-priced the house in many of those instances. With so many people still pricing their homes in the starry-eyed $400,000s on the other side of Gallatin, we get a lot of traffic from people who like 5-points but don't want to pay 5-points prices.

There are a couple of renovations in the immediate area you referenced that aren't on the market yet. Keep your eye out for 1001 Stainback and 330 Vaughn. This is assuming that you want a renovated home. If you're looking for a serious fixer upper, there is one at 1008 Stainback that could be great. Allow me to stress that I have no financial interest in any of these properties other than the fact that the future owners will be my neighbors, so I'd like them to be good neighbors.

Feel free to send me a direct message if you want more info or a tour of the 'hood.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,344 times
My partner and i moved to North 2nd off of Grace this past November and we are very glad we did. the area still has problems and we see drug deals all the time but the police are literally swarming the area to clean it up. the few other residence that we have met so far are very friendly and just as concerned with cleaning up the area as we are. in my opinion that is the best area to start an investment. the property value will double in five years.

i work for a real estate company (don't worry, i'm not a realtor or trying to sell anything) in Hillsboro Village and i have the opportunity to watch the trends across the city. the company i work for specializes in condo/urban developments. i see so many new buillding popping up all over the downtown area. not everyone wants a condo or wants to be downtown but most people would like to be as close as possible. the McFerrin Park/Cleveland Park area is the next hot spot. it's the perfect compromise. it's not as expensive as Inglewood and downtown but yet close to everything. Dickerson is just waiting to be redeveloped. it's just a matter of time. i also get to see what will be coming on the market in that area and what is planned by a few of our realtors. the new consturction projects that are planned are really going to help change the area and add so much more value. you can now get the cute houses they are building in Hope Garden at a great price in the Mcferrin Park area.

my partner and i were very blessed to find our home. we moved in with equity. the problem is that you will need patience. it is still kinda scary. someone bashed in one our windows in one of our cars that was parked in our parking lot in the back of the house. they didn't even break in and steal anything. they just broke the window for fun. that is the only thing that we have experienced.

So, i'm not trying to sell anyone anything. i'm on salery, it doesn't matter to me. this is just my experience. we don't regret our decision. i'm excited to see that area turn around and i'm glad i'll be apart of it.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,754 times
My fiance and I just moved to Cleveland Park on North 6th and we love the neighborhood so far. It's quite, eclectic, friendly and very close to all the bars and restaurants at 5 points. It's a little dirty in some places, but there are at least 6 beautiful homes being renovated on our street alone, all half the price of homes east of Gallatin. It will be a few years until things really get turning around, but right now is a great time to get in because the prices are still reasonable.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 AM

150 posts, read 619,933 times
Default Winberry Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Hassle Me I'm Local View Post
...That said, has anyone heard anything further about the Winberry development?
Here is a recent article about the Winberry Place development:
Barbershop Duet

It is a little too fluffy for my taste [Vernon Winfrey may be a great guy (and really it is his wife, Barbara, who is responsible for pushing this development), but there are a lot of people helping to turn this neighborhood around].

The article does verify that the delay is related to the tenant in the market. The most recent word I have heard is that this is going to court, either to hash out lease details or to evict the tenant (not sure which). It is gratifying to know that the plans are still in place to move forward.

There is also some great looking (historic style) new construction going up on Lischey in the same block as the planned development (900 block). I would guess it is going to go for low to mid $200,000s when complete, based on similar recent sales. The house at 1001 Stainback around the corner is also now on the market.

Last edited by Carol McCullough; 04-14-2008 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Hassle Me I'm Local View Post
I know its been a while since this thread was used, but anyone still interested in talkin' Cleveland Park? I'm from Chicago, 25 yr old guy who has lived in Hillsboro Village for the last year. I'm looking to buy and am unfortunately priced out of much of East Nashville (Hillsboro Village is not nearly as "hip" as everyone says, particularly when you're not a student anymore, plus I love all the little bars and restaurants in East Nashville, and the idea of owning a home is just too much to pass up). I've found myself looking in Cleveland Park and have found this particular forum to be full of wonderful insight. That said, has anyone heard anything further about the Winberry development? I looked it up and I see that that they've gone through all the zoning ordinances for it, so they should be breaking ground soon, right? Also, can any of the local posters shed a little light on Lischey between Cleveland and say, Evanston?
Thanks
Hey, don't know if this is too late for a post, but I thought I'd reply. I've been in the neighborhood since December '05 and have had a great experience. It's definitely hit and miss - some pockets are better than others, but overall I really love it. I live on N 7th and have never had any problems. My neighbors are great and everyone is very welcoming. Even in the relatively short time I've been here, there's been a tremendous amount of renovation. I have several friends who are looking to buy in the area. It's a great pocket of the city that's still affordable - especially just on one income.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 PM

25 posts, read 77,443 times
Carol is right. There are several historic replicas going up in Cleveland and McFerrin Parks. The first completed and sold immediately on Stockell. The second is going up at 701 Stockell. Then there are two more going up on Lischey. They will be priced between $199K and $209K.

Affordable housing is always a concern. A recent check of the Nashville market overall shows that quality, affordable options ($150K and below) are limited. Cleveland Park is one of the good stories, however. Currently there are 67 homes on the market in Cleveland and McFerrin Park. 49 of those home are priced below $150K. Very promising in affordability.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 AM

34 posts, read 186,955 times
I like the replicas that are being built, but can't they change the design after a couple of houses? I don't think it is good to have the same design built all over the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville