Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Hendersonville within the next year from Los Angeles. I have never seen or been anywhere near a tornado and I'm absolutely terrified! It's my one reservation about moving to TN. Have they hit Hendersonville? When we looked at homes, almost none of them have basements. Why is that?! Thanks!

Sincerely,
Anxious Woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 34,824 times
Yes, a tornado hit Hendersonville in April 2006. You can google info on it. I have just moved here and am also terrified of tornados. I am also terrified of earthquakes, fires, and planes hitting buildings in other places I have lived. We looked but did not buy a house with a basement. Seems like only older homes have them. There is a lot of rock and the cost of blasting is high. We are installing an above ground storm shelter in our garage, doing a drill with our children, and not living in fear. It's not tornado alley, but tornados happen everywhere. We are very pleased with our decision to move to Tennessee and wish you find the same peace of mind.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
I think every city in the Nashville area has been hit with a tornado at some point. But tornadoes usually have fairly small paths of desturction compared to Earthquankes and Hurricanes.

For what it's worth, in all the time I've lived in Hendersonville, I've never actually seen a tornado.

Just take precautions and keep a close eye on the local news when we have bad weather.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Ditto... I never saw a tornado until I moved away. Ironically, that tornado was the one that swept through downtown Nashville in April 1998. I just happened to be in town that week. So people can blame the tornado on me LOL... just please don't sue me.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
You can always get a tornado safe room put into your garage. I don't have a basement either so this is an option for us.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,140 times
I have SUCH fond memories of Hendersonville - lived there in the late 70s & early 80s for 7 years - oh I am so happy, thought my old house & subdivision were wiped out on earth google, but located it finally on another web site ! this area was SO wonderful to live in & I still dream of the area ! I miss the people - and a good storm shelter is definitely a plus in this region of the country...HELLO HENDERSONVILLE ! from beautiful upstate New York Saratoga Springs

Last edited by islek; 05-06-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville