Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,350 times

Advertisements

This Spring I spotted a muskrat in my backyard. I mentioned it to a friend and his response was "better shoot it, you're gonna have issues." It's a cute little furry creature, I left it alone. I was sitting on my couch yesterday and glanced outside. There were four of them running around. I'm not gonna mention them to my friend this time. They're fun to watch. As long as they stay out of my garden, we can be buddies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
This one's a bit overexposed, but you get the idea.
wow, nice! were you really that close or were you using the zoom function?

my observations as of yesterday: 2 tiny ticks dug in around my beltline and fireflies flitting around the lawn

Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
^^

Used a zoom function. The other 2 in the album are a bit better:

and

Old 06-16-2011, 12:34 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Yes keep it to yourself and enjoy they are fun to watch..!
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
This Spring I spotted a muskrat in my backyard. I mentioned it to a friend and his response was "better shoot it, you're gonna have issues." It's a cute little furry creature, I left it alone. I was sitting on my couch yesterday and glanced outside. There were four of them running around. I'm not gonna mention them to my friend this time. They're fun to watch. As long as they stay out of my garden, we can be buddies.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:48 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I had a real thrill yesterday! As I was driving on US Hwy 12 on my way home from work, through the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, I spotted a large flock (at least 50) of Great Egrets in the swamp near the road. I had never seen more than one egret at a time, and what a joy it was, to see a whole bunch of the stately white birds! And so close to our NWI steel mills. It's hard to believe the diversity of flora and fauna in these parts that thrive despite the heavy industry nearby.

Anyhoo, I found a safe place to park, and hiked along the road, camera in hand, to view the egrets. When I was about 100 yards from them, they became skittish and took to the air. What a beautiful sight it was! I was moving my camera all around, trying to capture my feathered friends. Consequently, my photos are not very clear, but at least they depict what I saw. Here are a few of the photos. I had to zoom in and then enlarge and crop the pictures.

This was a few seconds after the birds first noticed me.

It all happened so fast. Wish I could've gotten a clear in-flight shot.

Here's one bave soul who stayed behind for 30 seconds or so.

There's a bonus bird in this picture! I think the little guy to the left is a Green Heron.

I got one decent shot of an egret who alighted in a tree. Even though it's not very clear, I love this photo. What a thrill it was, to see these gorgeous birds in my neck of the woods! When the flock took off, I also spotted several Great Blue Herons in flight as well. I'm a happy camper!!!!

This is the mucky stuff that the birds were standing in! Eeeew!

Sorry this post got so lengthy. I'm just thrilled to pieces that I got to witness such beauty. I can hardly contain my joy!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
^^

What a thrill, so see fox in your yard! I'm glad you shared your pictures, bjh!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Amazing you get to see this beauty in your own backyard!
Quote:
^^

and

Old 06-16-2011, 01:52 PM

Woohoo for you!!! An incredible nature moment....you will not forget it! (they are indeed stately...so many at one time, wow!)

Good thing you had the camera-or maybe you keep it w/you?
Very good pics for such an unexpected sighting-and I think it looks like a green heron too-at least by silhouette...your cherry on top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I had a real thrill yesterday! As I was driving on US Hwy 12 on my way home from work, through the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, I spotted a large flock (at least 50) of Great Egrets in the swamp near the road. I had never seen more than one egret at a time, and what a joy it was, to see a whole bunch of the stately white birds! And so close to our NWI steel mills. It's hard to believe the diversity of flora and fauna in these parts that thrive despite the heavy industry nearby.

Anyhoo, I found a safe place to park, and hiked along the road, camera in hand, to view the egrets. When I was about 100 yards from them, they became skittish and took to the air. What a beautiful sight it was! I was moving my camera all around, trying to capture my feathered friends. Consequently, my photos are not very clear, but at least they depict what I saw. Here are a few of the photos. I had to zoom in and then enlarge and crop the pictures.

This was a few seconds after the birds first noticed me.

It all happened so fast. Wish I could've gotten a clear in-flight shot.

Here's one bave soul who stayed behind for 30 seconds or so.

There's a bonus bird in this picture! I think the little guy to the left is a Green Heron.

I got one decent shot of an egret who alighted in a tree. Even though it's not very clear, I love this photo. What a thrill it was, to see these gorgeous birds in my neck of the woods! When the flock took off, I also spotted several Great Blue Herons in flight as well. I'm a happy camper!!!!

This is the mucky stuff that the birds were standing in! Eeeew!

Sorry this post got so lengthy. I'm just thrilled to pieces that I got to witness such beauty. I can hardly contain my joy!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post

Don't you dare apologize! What beautiful photos and thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Ooo...this morning, when I went for my walk, the moon was still out and it was an absolutely beautiful shade of orange! What I didn't realize is that there was a lunar eclipse! I missed that part, but seeing the moon that way was definitely a special treat.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Woohoo for you!!! An incredible nature moment....you will not forget it! (they are indeed stately...so many at one time, wow!)

Good thing you had the camera-or maybe you keep it w/you?
Very good pics for such an unexpected sighting-and I think it looks like a green heron too-at least by silhouette...your cherry on top!
I have been lugging my camera and zoom lens around with me lately, to and from work, hoping to have some good photo ops. I first saw the flock of egrets on Wednesday, but it was not safe to pull my car over at the time, plus I was in a bit of a hurry. I planned ahead for Thursday. I told myself, "If those birds are still there, I'm taking pictures!!!!" It's not a very safe stretch of road - almost no shoulder, but I was careful. It was worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Don't you dare apologize! What beautiful photos and thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Ooo...this morning, when I went for my walk, the moon was still out and it was an absolutely beautiful shade of orange! What I didn't realize is that there was a lunar eclipse! I missed that part, but seeing the moon that way was definitely a special treat.
Wow - I would've liked to see that moon. I hadn't heard about the lunar eclipse. Although, I would've missed it anyway because it was completely overcast here yesterday and until just a couple of hours ago.

Don't you just LOVE nature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature