Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 05:11 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

My hero of the day!

Cute little guy...glad she called you before using that hoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:16 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My hero of the day!

Cute little guy...glad she called you before using that hoe
lucky her husband was at work ,, he kills with no discretion ..

Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Never saw a garter snake marked like that. Ours have stripes.

Today a squirrel was busy pulling up mushrooms on the lawn. When he got done eating the cap, he sat there gnawing the stem, holding it in both hands like a kid with a peppermint stick.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Never saw a garter snake marked like that. Ours have stripes.

Today a squirrel was busy pulling up mushrooms on the lawn. When he got done eating the cap, he sat there gnawing the stem, holding it in both hands like a kid with a peppermint stick.
Awww....sweet little guy. Glad your yard has mushrooms

Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I have several hummingbird feeders right outside my sewing studio windows. Several times I have seen a hummer perch and scratch behind their "ears" just like a dog. Very fun to see.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Not super exciting but still fun to watch. Every year around November turkeys come down from the hills and march through the neighborhood. They stick to the sidewalks and lawns, don't go into the street. A lot of times it's mamma turkeys with little babies waddling behind. But last year there were ten or twelve grown ups, no little ones visible. For once, got it on video.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Not super exciting but still fun to watch. Every year around November turkeys come down from the hills and march through the neighborhood. They stick to the sidewalks and lawns, don't go into the street. A lot of times it's mamma turkeys with little babies waddling behind. But last year there were ten or twelve grown ups, no little ones visible. For once, got it on video.

I'd be exciting to me! Good you got that on video...I've not seen baby turkeys. Maybe the second batch included some juveniles...

Envious

Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Here is a picture from the first year we saw him.. Taken in 2016, so he's been in there for three years..

Get a load of those paws... wouldn't want to meet up with one of those paws... And he's only a little black bear..

We do walk in these woods sometimes. There are dirt paths that we stick to. Never came upon him while in there.

Last year when he came through the yard for water, our little mixed corgi chased him up a tree. So he is very timid still, which is a good thing.

We have called our state EPA and they are unable to do anything unless the bear is troublesome. Which makes sense.

Want to also add that our ruby throat hummers have successfully fledged two babies... We can tell that two of those flying around the last few days are young ones, bc they are so curious.. They stop their high speed flights right in front of us and hover in place, looking at us and cocking their heads, looking, looking..

How neat!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
The pair of Orioles returned...just in time for blackberries and tomatoes.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:35 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We have had a happy accident in our yard this year.

We have a flowerbed next to the house, into which runs the drain pipe from our AC. I think it was intended as a passive watering system for the bed, but either the coldness or the amount of water, kept killing the plants.

DH extended the pipe and placed a big dog bowl to collect the water. We were thinking of our dogs when we put it there, but it is the birds who use it. All summer we’ve enjoyed the birds drinking and bathing in this water. I gave up on bird feeders as too messy and I’m unconvinced they are good for the birds, but I do try to have wildlife friendly plants and keep a birdbath full. This accidental bird bath has been the best addition to my yard yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature