Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times

Advertisements

Lizard running around in the office. It has been in here for two weeks and nobody can catch the thing. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:14 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Saw a Yellow throat male yesterday, lying on its side on a step. Left it as I did errands. Came back and it was sitting up as usual. Must have hit a window and been stunned.

I approached it slowly...it flew away.
Beautiful bird.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:53 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Saw a chipmunk stuffing leaves in his mouth. Nesting materials?? He bypassed a peanut I was offering.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:47 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Moved into my parents house ( they passed and we were renting it out). It has a bit of woods behind, no air condition and it was really hot so windows and slider doors were open. Stuff was everywhere as I was in the process of moving. I got up in the middle of the night and stumbled into propped up metal futon ends that fell over with a huge clang.

Something outside starting making a huge "alarm" (I guess) ruckus. I had no idea what it was other than suprisingly loud. Went on for quite awhile too. Stood out on the porch trying to figure out what it was but couldn't.

Turned out must have been the woodchuck I've since seen out there frequently. Lives under the neighbors shed.
I had no idea woodchucks could, or even would, make noise like that.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I have five game cameras out so that we can see the animals that visit. One spot on a trail had a black bear sow with three cubs, a fisher and a young bull moose in a 24 hour period. Is it alright to share pics or will that clog up the thread too much?

Old 09-29-2018, 12:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
We put cat food in our greenhouse to feed our outside cat Rufus. We also have a monitor in the greenhouse that sends a signal to an inside alarm. Lately, it's been going off a bunch. Neighborhood cats have found the food, and not only that but a skunk has decided the pickings are pretty good around here. He's not shy either and we just back away slowly......

It may be time to shut the monitor off.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:11 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I have five game cameras out so that we can see the animals that visit. One spot on a trail had a black bear sow with three cubs, a fisher and a young bull moose in a 24 hour period. Is it alright to share pics or will that clog up the thread too much?
I would love to see pics, especially of the elusive fisher. Don't know how many would be too many.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:46 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I would love to see pics, especially of the elusive fisher. Don't know how many would be too many.
He's on the camera often but I've seen him only once. I think he's responsible for the declining red squirrel and snowshoe hare populations.

This bull moose is probably two years old. He wandered through quite a few times during the height of mating season.

This wee one is eight months old. Black bear.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
He's on the camera often but I've seen him only once. I think he's responsible for the declining red squirrel and snowshoe hare populations.

This bull moose is probably two years old. He wandered through quite a few times during the height of mating season.

This wee one is eight months old. Black bear.

Thank you...

Old 10-03-2018, 01:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times
Being in SWLA, trees are still green. Except for a few. Noticed the American Sycamores (not all, just some) change to a lighter green in August. Some Tallow, Red Maples, Sweetgum and Hickory has been turning red. I love it. Heading north next month, hopefully. Wanting to see some beautiful fall colors!!!

Just the other night, I took out my frogging light. Looked around, checking on our animals. They were good. A small opossum graced me with his presence. Have 6 goats, 8 chickens, pair of Black Turkeys, pair of guineas and a wood duck. Getting him a gal pal soon so he won't be too lonely. Had 1 cat, but 9 more (the ms and her kittens) adopted us.

Been raining a lot lately on my end. Yard is soaked and muddy. Waiting for it to dry up and *fingers crossed* cut our 3 acres 1 more time this year.

Been riding around town and the country to stock pile some wood. During the winter and fall I love to cook outside. And yep, make some fires in my pit. Have my gun with me, if I see anything in season, say some dove, rabbit, duck and geese, I'll bag it and throw it on the pit. Wife done caught me with a duck, when she came home from work.

Haven't been seeing many spoonbills lately. (Roseate) Beautiful birds. But with the coming seasons, I'll be seeing a lot of snipe and woodcock. Every now and then I'll see some quail.

Oh, forgot to mention, I started a leaf catalog. I take leaves of trees, dry them out and tape them on paper. I write out the name, including the botanical name. Just started this hobby. If we do head north, gonna snag some leaves in color as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature