Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2023, 10:44 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times

Advertisements

We have that too! Sometimes it really gets loud. They aren't really back yet, to start that up. However, the first Robins came 2 days ago. So nice to see them. I keep hearing a Red Bellied Woodpecker, but of course as usual he/she won't show himself. The suet feeder tells me differently. The doves are back too. Sigh. 2 more months until Spring Equinox.

Yesterday I put on some Red Bellied calls on YouTube. The live one was answering back. I'm a bird nerd and I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 10:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have what I think is a woodpecker, pecking on our metal chimney. The sound resonates all the way down the metal chimney. I can understand his trying it once, but several days in a row? Surely we have some buggy trees that would be a smarter choice.
He's not trying to make a hole. He's making loud notice of his territory, and what better to make noise than a metal chimney.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:02 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,220,898 times
With an impending ice storm coming I put out extra bird seed and corn for the deer yesterday. There is about 20 birds eating at a time out there this morning. So I threw out some more bird seed for them.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:30 PM

Yes, lots of extra birds the past week. I'm going through lots of Black Oil sunflower seeds.

Not happy with Pennington. They just started padding their Black Oil Sunflower Seed bags with little tiny bird seeds, the little tiny round ones.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, lots of extra birds the past week. I'm going through lots of Black Oil sunflower seeds.

Not happy with Pennington. They just started padding their Black Oil Sunflower Seed bags with little tiny bird seeds, the little tiny round ones.
I think that is finch food. When it get wet it plugs up my feeders. I even bought a finch food feeder and it stayed plugged up when wet.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:47 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Just heard the red-shouldered hawk for the first time this year. Keeya! Keeya! We're on a canyon in East San Diego county, with big trees, and the R-S hawk usually stops by every spring, and fights a battle with the resident crows. Now I'll go outside and look for it. It's a beautiful hawk, and I wish it would nest here.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I think that is finch food. When it get wet it plugs up my feeders. I even bought a finch food feeder and it stayed plugged up when wet.
I think I'll call Pennington and ask about that. I have a good relationship with them. Two years ago I bought some "Wild Bird Food" that the birds absolutely refused to touch. They sent me a refund, which I then used to purchase Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. I had just thought I would try their Wild Bird Food.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:37 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

Pathrunner, I believe those little round seeds are millet. Less expensive than the sunflower, for sure.

RR, if I'm correct, special finch feeders are designed for thistle seed, not millet. (so, yes, millet seeds would clog up the holes)Thistle seeds are very tiny and can easily be pulled through the little finch feeder holes. A bit pricey, but last a long time.

:-)

Old 01-31-2023, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I'm paying for Black Oil Sunflower seeds and now getting millet mixed in. It's really obvious. Reminds me I need to call.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:04 PM

The birds has started to bring the sunflower seeds to my rear patio and these are attracting mice. My wife squealed when one ran out from under the chairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature