Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times

Advertisements

Well I'm going to pretnd that I'm a Hopi, hoping that that legend of death is not true. Though I have had some chest pains lately and also in the elbows, knees, fingers and lower back. Now that's a pain in the butt or is that arthritis, hmmm, time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
My People are very superstitious about the owls. Especially this kind in the video. It is said they if you are walking down the dirt road, one will even come down and walk behind you and his wings will hit the road making a sound like a person walking. Then they can make a sound like a man clearing his throat. Very scary for a child to hear those things as we walked at night. And yes, they are said to be omens of a passing. Personally, I love them. They are big medicine to us NDNs.
I love owls. I rarely see them in my area, though. I see lots of songbirds and lots of hawks. Of course, on the days when the hawks are hanging around my yard, most of the songbirds stay safely hidden away.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-03-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,688 times
I love the songbirds, and I can hardly wait for late spring and summer. The haunting hooting of an owl will lull me to sleep at night..

Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,103 times
Default .....River Otter

Had a River Otter go down my fence line on his way to the 40 foot stream that is 500 feet from my house. The stream feeds into a major river (about a mile away) here in western MT. Still no snow on the floor of the B.R. valley..........quite unusual for this date in the winter season.....However, the mountains on both sides of the valley have plenty............Lost Trail Pass Ski lodge (approx 7100 feet elevation) has a base of 95 inches with another 20 inches or so up around 9000 feet... No LaNina for this area.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
My People are very superstitious about the owls. Especially this kind in the video. It is said they if you are walking down the dirt road, one will even come down and walk behind you and his wings will hit the road making a sound like a person walking. Then they can make a sound like a man clearing his throat. Very scary for a child to hear those things as we walked at night. And yes, they are said to be omens of a passing. Personally, I love them. They are big medicine to us NDNs.
Cool, thanks for letting us know. Do you mind telling us what tribe(s) also see owls as an omen? Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Well I'm going to pretnd that I'm a Hopi, hoping that that legend of death is not true. Though I have had some chest pains lately and also in the elbows, knees, fingers and lower back. Now that's a pain in the butt or is that arthritis, hmmm, time will tell.
Maybe it just means there are some mice or other rodents nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I love owls. I rarely see them in my area, though. I see lots of songbirds and lots of hawks. Of course, on the days when the hawks are hanging around my yard,
most of the songbirds stay safely hidden away. .
After all, songbirds may taste like chicken. Here's hoping we never find out.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,072 times
Regarding the Portuguese Man ' war in Padre Island.
That seaweed is saragasso. Look up saragasso sea.
Saragasso grows in the central Atlantic, far from land.

Along the Florida Atlantic coast this kind of thing happens fairly often.
Looks like weather patterns pushed the seaweed and Man 'o war way south to get it into the current feeding the Gulf.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
March is daffodil month.

PhotoBlog - Mild weather brings out daffodils in London's St. James's Park

Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,076 times

Visited the neighborhood pet store today. Another customer had one of the above on her shoulder. I got to admire it just inches away.

Of course I did more talking to the African Grey that is for sale. She is so beautiful and very responsive to attention. She said hello last time. No talking for me today but she did a lot of dancing while rolling her head around and leaning sideways to watch me. So adorable!

African Grey

Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Very pretty birds...
love the scarlet macaw.
DK, you are so in love with the gray...

Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Cool, thanks for letting us know. Do you mind telling us what tribe(s) also see owls as an omen? Just wondering.
I think all tribes have their own ways, and members within the tribe vary. My grandmother was very afraid of owls and her brother was not. It doesn't help when things happen... like I saw three owls up close just before my brother passed away. My Mom did not like that. Those are old NDN ways and we don't like to talk about them to strangers. Most people will scoff or make fun.

I had some great visits yesterday. While sitting outside, listening to music from Peru *the land of the condor, a buzzard came swooping down on the winds so that it was just 20 feet above me. So cool. Then a cardinal sat above me-the beautiful red feathers stood out in sharp contrast to the leave-less tree limbs.

The best was the yellowbird that came to visit. It was almost spiritual for me. Kind of a message or a visit from the spirit world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature