Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 12:31 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,179,117 times

Advertisements

Great Blue Heron wiping out my goldfish pond----every last one of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:33 PM

126,288 posts, read 19,066,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Great Blue Heron wiping out my goldfish pond----every last one of them!
a friend of mine had the same problem and they put now a net over their pond so that they don't steel the fishes.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
Try redesigning your pond to help the fish. Stone overhang along the pond edge, mats of floating pond lilies, areas of vegetation, objects used as tunnels and caves within the pond. In other words, give your fish lots of hiding places.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,230,226 times
I took a double take when I saw one male mallard along with other males that had a white chest.
It was a mutant mallard.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/entequil...3/DSC01144.jpg

Old 12-15-2015, 03:57 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,994,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I took a double take when I saw one male mallard along with other males that had a white chest.
It was a mutant mallard.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/entequil...3/DSC01144.jpg
Fascinating photo! Coincidentally, recently I saw a male American Black Duck with a green sheen to his head. It turns out that Mallards are not fussy and picky when it comes to mating :-)

Old 12-15-2015, 09:36 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Vultures! I had a flock of around 50 black vultures at my lakefront lot the other day. They were teasing the dog next door (he's on a chain ), by walking just beyond his reach, even when he was lunging at them. In fact, when I pulled up in my car, about 10 of them just continued to walk right around the vehicle. If I had had more time to spend there (it was getting dark and the roads to get there are full of deer), I would have just sat and watched their interplay. Black vultures have a really intricate pecking order and it's fascinating to watch them interact within the flock. It made my day seeing them there, except they poop on my cabin/shed when they roost overhead.

However, for those who like prettier birds, I also counted 19 cardinals at my feeders this morning. A new record!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:51 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
I am currently living near the ocean in Mexico on the edge of a nature preserve. I'm right between the jungle and the mangroves and there is a fantastic array of bugs, lizards, birds and mammals here.

I guess there are big cats, boa constrictors, armadillo, parrots and crocodile but I think sightings are rare. I've seen spider monkeys here before also but so far, not this visit. it's fine with me. They throw stuff! I've also heard stories about them coming down from the trees and snatching things away from people.

In the morning and late afternoon I've been sitting on the veranda and watching the birds - Yucatan jays, kiskadees, brown jays, orioles, flycatchers, turkey vultures, chacalaca - more. I've been trying to learn their names and calls.

On the beach are brown pelicans, cormorants and gulls.

My favorites are the long-tailed grackles with their cocky attitudes and clever ways. Now, having so much time to observe and listen, I am realizing that they have an enormous and very amusing vocabulary.

A few nights late in the evening the sky has been alive with little bats. That's been really exciting for me as I haven't seen any in southern MN. for years and years. They move so fast you really don't see them - only sense a ghostly presence pass by. No wonder they scare people!

I've found a spot where a largish group of white-nosed coatis come to scavenge in the afternoon. They remind me of a cross of a monkey, raccoon and anteater. They're really fun to watch.

There are a cute pair of little grey fox around. Some pavas or agoutis. They look like monster-sized guinea pigs on deer legs and come out in the late afternoon to graze in the park across the street. And I'm seeing a couple of creatures in the backyard at night that I'm not sure what they are. From what I've been able to find on the web I guess they must be tayras - a weasel that's the size of a small dog! Sneaky looking guys, they are, slinking around in the dark.

In a coupe of weeks I'm meeting a friend to do some snorkeling in an area where the rays and sea turtles are. Will post about it.

Last edited by Lodestar; 12-15-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 10:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,994,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I am currently living near the ocean in Mexico on the edge of a nature preserve. I'm right between the jungle and the mangroves and there is a fantastic array of bugs, lizards, birds and mammals here.

I guess there are big cats, boa constrictors, armadillo, parrots and crocodile but I think sightings are rare.

In the morning and late afternoon I've been sitting on the veranda and watching the birds - Yucatan jays, kiskadees, brown jays, orioles, flycatchers, turkey vultures, chacalaca - more. I've been trying to learn their names and calls.

On the beach are brown pelicans, cormorants and gulls.

My favorites are the long-tailed grackles with their cocky attitudes and clever ways. Now, having so much time to observe and listen, I am realizing that they have an enormous and very amusing vocabulary.

A few nights late in the evening the sky has been alive with little bats. That's been really exciting for me as I haven't seen any in southern MN. for years and years. They move so fast you really don't see them - only sense a ghostly presence pass by. No wonder they scare people!

I've found a spot where a largish group of white-nosed coatis come to scavenge in the afternoon. They remind me of a cross of a monkey, raccoon and anteater. They're really fun to watch.

There are a cute pair of little grey fox around. Some pavas or agoutis. They look like monster-sized guinea pigs on deer legs and come out in the late afternoon to graze in the park across the street. And I'm seeing a couple of creatures in the backyard at night that I'm not sure what they are. From what I've been able to find on the web I guess they must be tayras - a weasel that's the size of a small dog! Sneaky looking guys, they are, slinking around in the dark.

In a coupe of weeks I'm meeting a friend to do some snorkeling in an area where the rays and sea turtles are. Will post about it.
What a fantastic experience you're having with nature! Envious!

The word "coatis" caught my eye -- cutest darn things, but I've never seen them in the wild. Curious if they come close to you since coatimundis can behave boldly like their cousins the raccoons (which is why they made lousy pets).

Old 12-15-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
What a fantastic experience you're having with nature! Envious!

The word "coatis" caught my eye -- cutest darn things, but I've never seen them in the wild. Curious if they come close to you since coatimundis can behave boldly like their cousins the raccoons (which is why they made lousy pets).
The ones here are wild and I haven't made any effort to get close to them but I know of another group in a nearby town which have become quite accustomed to humans. Yes. I have seen people go to feed them and the rascals will climb right up their leg to get at a treat. They can become a nuisance, I guess, just like our raccoons.

I would suppose that in the house they would be digging through everything with their busy little "hands." But they sure are charmers.

I mentioned their appeal to a taxi driver and he said, "They taste good, too." Hah. Didn't expect that.

I did a little reading on them and found out that we have them in the SW United States. Didn't know that. Here they call them tejones.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:08 AM

I meant to mention an odd habit that the long-tailed grackles have. I can't find an explanation for it on the web so maybe one of our bird watchers has the answer.

Sometimes they gather near the top of a tree and roost, all gazing skyward, bills pointed straight up into the air. I think, They must be waiting for the Mothership to beam them up!

Always gives me a chuckle but its purpose is a mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature