Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Success!
Dumpster devoid of raccoons now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Success!
Yeah!!! Very good to hear.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Success!
I hope the trash hauler did not just empty it! I presume that you mean that your boards were still in the dumpster and the animal was gone? Thank you for saving the little raccoon!

We enjoyed taking raccoon pictures at our bird feeders. We were wondering why our bird seed (black oily sunflower seed) kept going down every night. Then we turned our security system on the bird feeders and found out we were feeding the local raccoons. My wife ran a blog that she played with the pictures for a few years: Marie's Raccoons We eventually had too many visitors and had to shut down the bird feeding pipeline. But we still have fond memories of the raccoons and their babies.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Success!
Thank goodness! Well done!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM

271 posts, read 600,651 times
Quote:
Success!
Yippee! I was pulling for the little guy.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Success!
So glad to hear it!

Good job!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
If not, I'm lowering a baited live trap in there tonight. I TNR feral/stray cats and the traps work just as well for similar-sized wild animals.
Congrats on saving the raccoon.

Now if you'll only stop releasing feral/stray cats, you'll really be helping wildlife. (I know, that should be a whole new thread!)

Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Well done, Chiroptera!

Starvation is no way for any creature to die.

Jack, it's a food chain. Those birds eat worms, why aren't you caring about the worms? Feral cats eat rats, snakes, and mice - oh heck, even domestic kitties do.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Thanks all for the encouraging comments.

Yup, boards still in place (I pushed them in), Dumpster not emptied, no raccoons in there. Actually I thought it would be really funny if the paper bag of food I'd dropped in there attracted more raccoons and I peeked in this morning to find, like, a dozen of them in the Dumpster.

fisheye, I loved your wife's blog! Some of those raccoon pics were hysterical.

jackmichigan, I do understand that many people are concerned about the damage outdoor cats can to to wild bird populations. Although, bonus, I have no mouse infestations in my house! This area is awash with un-owned cats. What I (and a neighbor) are doing is trapping existing cats around here, getting them spayed, neutered and vaccinated, and re-releasing them. The ultimate aim is to have a well-fed, stable, vaccinated, sterile local cat population that will not continue to repopulate with endless litters of kittens every year.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
When my brother was living in Chicago I'd visit frequently. He was doing his PhD at the U of Chicago and lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood. Which, apart from the relatively small park, is extremely densely populated.

On two different occasions, while taking my dog out late at night, I saw raccoons. Apparently, as densely packed and urban as Chicago is, raccoons live all over the city, not just near the forested lakefront either.
There are far, far more raccoons living per square mile in a densely-populated city than out in the bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature