Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM

720 posts, read 705,661 times

Advertisements

I live in a community that is named after a certain species of hawk because of the large population that lives here. We see this all the time with many other kinds of birds, but crows are the most belligerent and noisy. It is also true that the hawks can roll over in flight and catch any marauder who foolishly gets too close, injuring them or killing them quickly in flight. One of the lesser known facts is Humming birds have been found with their bills imbedded into a hawk, both dead on the ground. several have been found this way in our area over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 01:18 PM

128 posts, read 203,199 times
Years ago, I saw a giant hawk with a baby crow in its talons. Surrounded by adult crows, the hawk glided slowly in the air, and every crow in the area took turns swooping in for an attack until the hawk couldn't take it any longer and collapsed. Strange to say, but it was a beautiful display of solidarity.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It's not the right time of the year to be protecting a nest, so it could just be territorial.
I see this all the time where we live, and I just assumed it was because there was a nest around. I can see it just being territorial, though. The last time I witnessed it, there were five crows attacking the one hawk.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM

358 posts, read 621,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Crows are smart enough to recognize potential predators. If you think how they harass a hawk is something, you should see them swarm a Great-Horned Owl! Of course, Great-Horned Owls are far greater threats to Crows than are hawks.

(As timberline mentioned, that's one of the best ways to find a Great-Horned Owl.)
Very interesting thread. Why are great horned owls a greater threat to crows than hawks?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:57 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Some crows think they own the neighborhood.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:01 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Very interesting thread. Why are great horned owls a greater threat to crows than hawks?
Great-Horned Owls are fierce predators and they will actually kill and eat crows. They can even kill prey larger than themselves, so the size of the crow is no problem to them. Great-Horned Owls also hunt at night, so that makes crows especially vulnerable--and wary.

Most hawks, on the other hand, will usually not kill crows, although they might harass them. Those hawks that prey upon other birds (Accipiters) will usually just kill smaller birds.

Cornell maintains a website which has some great information about birds. Here's a link for more information about Great-Horned Owls:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/g...wl/lifehistory

Last edited by jackmichigan; 12-31-2014 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: link

Old 01-02-2015, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Hawks eat crows and raid the nests. Crows object to this and given the opportunity will attack the hawks. This fall I saw a bunch of about 10 crows harassing a Red Tailed Hawk. It rested in a tree and then took off and just out accelerated the crows in level flight until it sped away. Beautiful display of sheer power.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:54 AM

305 posts, read 416,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Great-Horned Owls are fierce predators and they will actually kill and eat crows. They can even kill prey larger than themselves, so the size of the crow is no problem to them. Great-Horned Owls also hunt at night, so that makes crows especially vulnerable--and wary.

Most hawks, on the other hand, will usually not kill crows, although they might harass them. Those hawks that prey upon other birds (Accipiters) will usually just kill smaller birds.

Cornell maintains a website which has some great information about birds. Here's a link for more information about Great-Horned Owls:
Great Horned Owl, Life History, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Yeah, us Hawks have some dignity you know. Were not like those Owl brutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
Years ago, I saw a giant hawk with a baby crow in its talons. Surrounded by adult crows, the hawk glided slowly in the air, and every crow in the area took turns swooping in for an attack until the hawk couldn't take it any longer and collapsed. Strange to say, but it was a beautiful display of solidarity.
Yeah, Crows have no dignity, they are very classless to say the least, they only attack in packs, doesnt sound beautiful to me, of course they will win in packs. Those grimey crows.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Crows are smart enough to attack in packs. So are most humans. A properly trained infantry squad is about the most dangerous thing there is.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
This is known as "mobbing". The entire corvid (crows, jays, ravens, rooks, etc) family does it, so do flycatchers, mockingbirds, chickadees, blackbirds, etc.

Wild Birds Unlimited: Bizarre bird behavior: Why small birds attack a big bird has a couple of pictures showing the behaviour.
Oh, those red wing black birds are just mean as he** (with people too). There are plenty of hawks and
falcons and I have seen sparrows do the same thing as the crows.
Although hawks are capable of grabbing a crow, the energy involved for the hawk, usually is not worth it.

WHY DON'T HAWKS FIGHT BACK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature