Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 AM

922 posts, read 792,182 times

Advertisements

The other night DH and I went fishing at our favorite spot. After sitting there for awhile with our lines in the lake, we found ourselves in the middle of cloud of mayflies. They were everywhere! Our clothes were covered with them, they flew in our mouths, stuck to our glasses and were not in any way deterred by the insect repellent we had sprayed on ourselves. I got on my cell to find out about them and they covered the screen. I grew up in the city, and had never seen these before. We fish at this lake all the time and have never really been bothered by anything other than mosquitoes, so this was a new experience. About an hour later they finally died down. I am sure I ate several of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
They are making a comeback. A sign of healthy habit. Google Stillwater, mn mayflies. It's on the Mississippi. A few towns along the Mississippi turn off street lights so not to attract too many, the roads get slick with them and cause accidents. They only last a week or so. Maybe you had always missed the short time they are out. The birds gobble them up. Saw a red bellied sap sucker eat so many it couldn't swallow another one and spit it out. It would catch one and come to my humming bird feeder dunk the mayfly into a spot that had busted over and over most of the day, sure it had babies.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 06-29-2017 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Missed info

Old 07-03-2017, 05:38 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Many years ago I would night fish with an older man that used a carbide miner's light: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_lamp. What I loved about his carbide light was that many of the bugs, including mayflies and mosquitos would fly into the flame and immediately get singed. Even if it attracted more; it still was worth the revenge that the light delivered. If we set it up right on the water the wingless bug carcasses would attract fish.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 AM

922 posts, read 792,182 times
Thanks! I will check that out!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
When the hatch is on here in Idaho, driving a road that runs along a river can result in a car being carpeted on the outside with mayflies, especially on the front end.

I've had to stop and flush them out of a car's radiator, as there can be so many the vanes in the radiator can become clogged, causing it to overheat.

Like another poster mentioned, they are a sign of a good healthy ecosystem. And a great time to catch some real big trout. The big fish gorge on a hatch and will bite any fly that vaguely resembles the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature