Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 03:51 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
Maybe yelled for him to stop...I dunno Maybe i'm being irrational. Thank you for your input though.
You did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 03:53 PM

130,218 posts, read 12,093,129 times
We are not responsible for the actions of others, only what we do ourselves, sounds like this guy does this often, so I highly doubt if you could have stopped him doing it.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:55 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
You are a fine person in every way.

Your friend is not. People who find joy in maiming/killing animals of any kind deserve the death penalty. I would be willing to act as executioner. Using only my bare hands would be perfect.

Glad to hear of your compassion...we so need people like you about in the world.

/B]
Quote:
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel getting ready to cross the road. I said no please wait there is a squirrel, he swerved on purpose to hit it and now I feel soo completely horrible that he died.

I feel like that I should have had him slow his driving down before hand before we were laughing at him driving like a madman. I feel if I wouldn't have laughed and egged him on to drive like a nut case he wouldn't have hit it.

Call me crazy but I'm an absolute animal lover and I'm over compassionate sometimes.

I messaged him to tell him how upset I was about him intentionally hitting it, but he said for him that's like killing a fly or a rat...??

I just don't get how a human wouldn't bat an eye to kill something. I wont even kill bugs in my house if I don't have to, I put them outside.

Sorry guy I am very upset over the death of this squirrel. I at least went back to where he was hit and moved him into the side of the road.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:36 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel getting ready to cross the road.<>he said for him that's like killing a fly or a rat...??
I just don't get how a human wouldn't bat an eye to kill something. I wont even kill bugs in my house if I don't have to, I put them outside.
<>
Gosh, I hope you are a full bore vegan? It's nice there are people who are very considerate of other life.
You should carry a broom to sweep the path before you to avoid crushing insects.
Do not under any circumstances look at the front of your friend's car as it is doubtless covered with the bodies of bugs he has run into while driving around.
You know what kills most squirrels anyway?
"Indecision"

Old 11-18-2017, 04:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
What a horrible person.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
How do I stop thinking about his death? I feel like I could have stopped it? Maybe I need therapy for feeling so guilty about things like this.

Sorry about the manner of the squirrel's death.

It's understandable that you feel the way you do, it's a natural reaction and you don't need therapy. You just got a shock to your system with a double whammy of two very powerful emotions all at once ...... intense empathy for the squirrel that was killed, and antipathy for the unexpectedly callous person that deliberately killed the squirrel ..... it's like suddenly getting two buckets of icy cold water dumped on your head out of no where.

You'll stop angsting about the squirrel's death shortly and not feel quite so sad and angry about the shock of it all. Look at it this way, the squirrel isn't thinking about it anymore and it likely does not have a young family at this season of the year - so instead consider the squirrel's death an important lesson you needed to learn about the crueler side of your co-worker's nature. If you hadn't seen for yourself at this time what this person's mean streak is like towards small animals you might not have realized what his true character is like until later at some point where his behavior might cause much more negative consequences for yourself or some other person.

That co-worker sounds like somebody who enjoys being abusive and does it for kicks. If he's deliberately mean to other living things in nature it's a tip off to you that he's mean and callous towards people too when it suits him. Be careful you don't become closely associated with him, don't go places alone with him and don't tell him personal information about yourself that he can use against you.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel getting ready to cross the road. I said no please wait there is a squirrel, he swerved on purpose to hit it and now I feel soo completely horrible that he died.

I feel like that I should have had him slow his driving down before hand before we were laughing at him driving like a madman. I feel if I wouldn't have laughed and egged him on to drive like a nut case he wouldn't have hit it.

Call me crazy but I'm an absolute animal lover and I'm over compassionate sometimes.

I messaged him to tell him how upset I was about him intentionally hitting it, but he said for him that's like killing a fly or a rat...??

Sorry guy I am very upset over the death of this squirrel. I at least went back to where he was hit and moved him into the side of the road.
It is a tough call...

I still wake up in the middle of the night condemning myself for an incident. I came down a major Las Vegas freeway in high traffic when I came upon a cat who had been freshly run over. The rear of the cats body was clearly smashed. The cat had no hope of living...but I could have stopped and blocked traffic and gotten the creature out of the road. It was still with us wailing against the fate that had already condemned it. And it had expressive eyes reflecting the pain.

I did the right thing and kept on going. But it won't leave me. And I reflect on it often in the middle of the night when my subconscious gains control. Actually the kindest thing would have been to run over it.

But guilty remains. So you live with it. And don't screw up your relationships over it . Stuff happens.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:

Swerving to hit any animal in the road is a cheap shot for sure. That's a very wrong headed thing to do. Sorry your "friend" put you through that. Might be time to take a look at that "friendship."

Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,490 times
Would you feel better if you bought some cracked corn or sunflower seeds and spread it out somewhere safe (away from cars and hunters) for other squirrels and birds and critters to eat? Especially now, with winter coming?

Turn your anguish into a good deed. And maybe get your buddy to do it also. To exonerate himself.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:

First, are you sure the squirrel died? Hard to kill a squirrel on purpose with a car. He would have had to swerve enough to pinpoint hitting such a small animal and then correct back to driving.

BUT, you were just fine driving with him while he was driving erratically?!? Driving erratically is against the law, and as careless as killing a squirrel. Why was it okay that you were laughing and enjoying this joy ride that could have caused a crash, hurting you, or worse, someone else. What if he had just been driving erratically and wasn't trying to purposely kill a squirrel, but killed it just by chance while driving erratically. Would you feel any different?

It's actually your words that you laughed and egged him on to drive like a nut case. So, to me, it's as much your fault as it is your friends. And for that, you forgive him, he forgives you and your both back to where you were before you both decided to go on a joy ride. Maybe you will think before you act next time and save the life of a squirrel, or maybe a innocent human being.

Just my opinion from the words you wrote yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature