Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:08 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
if the squirrel had a family left behind, seriously ??
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:09 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Rats carry disease and like to live with humans so their disease spreads easily. Squirrels don't particularly like humans and live outdoors so even though they're rodents, they aren't much of a threat like rats are. So yeah, squirrels are cute and NOT deadly.
Not quite. Squirrels can carry tularemia. They host ticks - lovely, just lovely. Where I am, we have severe problems with black-legged ticks (deer ticks), which carry Lyme and a plethora of other nasty stuff. Squirrels like to get inside house structures - attics - inside the walls - etc. And when they do that, they are an extreme nuisance. They can chew on electric wiring and short it out. They can be very destructive.

They steal from bird feeders. If you like to feed birds, and the squirrels find out - they will eat all the seed and leave next to nothing for the birds.

I have no problem with killing squirrels. They are far from endangered - they actually probably do better in today's world than they did in 1717. Our human living space provides them a lot of protected cover. But to intentionally and randomly do it with a car just because the critter was crossing the road? I don't like that.

It should be obvious that I am no vegan, nor am I a Jainist (they are the religion that avoids stepping on ants). But I don't like unfocused killing, just for the sake of killing. It shows a lack of respect for life. Even rats deserve respect. Maybe not very much, though, eh?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:43 PM

322 posts, read 286,395 times
He’s clearly a sociopath, no regard for life. He didn’t have to kill that squirrel. I’d stop being friends with a person that thinks stuff like that is funny or normal.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Yew
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel getting ready to cross the road. I said no please wait there is a squirrel, he swerved on purpose to hit it and now I feel soo completely horrible that he died.

I feel like that I should have had him slow his driving down before hand before we were laughing at him driving like a madman. I feel if I wouldn't have laughed and egged him on to drive like a nut case he wouldn't have hit it.

Call me crazy but I'm an absolute animal lover and I'm over compassionate sometimes.

I messaged him to tell him how upset I was about him intentionally hitting it, but he said for him that's like killing a fly or a rat...??

I just don't get how a human wouldn't bat an eye to kill something. I wont even kill bugs in my house if I don't have to, I put them outside.

Sorry guy I am very upset over the death of this squirrel. I at least went back to where he was hit and moved him into the side of the road.
If he kills an animal and enjoys it, he is just a little less of a good human. This explains why evil people exist in this world. Not saying your friend is evil, but he has the potential. I would be upset to.

Someone brings up rats as a comparison... I still wouldnt wouldnt purposely enjoy killing a rat.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:36 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel
Driving erratically's all fun and games?? Seriously, how old are you?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I definitely am having second thoughts. He is a co-worker. We were on our way to jump his car. Im beside myself. I don't know why, I'm a grown ass man..lol...I just can't help but think of his life and if he had a family.
You were on the way to jump his car so he was driving your car?
Why would you encourage someone to *drive like madman* if you are *a grown man*?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
He’s clearly a sociopath, no regard for life. He didn’t have to kill that squirrel. I’d stop being friends with a person that thinks stuff like that is funny or normal.
You can diagnose someone medically as a sociopath just from one paragraph written on a public forum by a random stranger who isn't even the one who ran over the squirrel?
Wow, very impressive, do you do psychic readings on the phone?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:13 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
How do I stop thinking about his death? I feel like I could have stopped it? Maybe I need therapy for feeling so guilty about things like this.
Its called a conscience.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:

Call me crazy but I'm an absolute animal lover and I'm over compassionate sometimes.
You do not have to be crazy, an absolute animal lover or overly compassionate to respect life and recognize a vile, unjustifiable act. Just a plain sense of decency and respect and, yes, some compassion will suffice.

If common sense and basic compassion fail, then at least respect for the rule of law: what your friend did may even be illegal in your state or local jurisdiction.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel getting ready to cross the road. I said no please wait there is a squirrel, he swerved on purpose to hit it and now I feel soo completely horrible that he died.

I feel like that I should have had him slow his driving down before hand before we were laughing at him driving like a madman. I feel if I wouldn't have laughed and egged him on to drive like a nut case he wouldn't have hit it.

I messaged him to tell him how upset I was about him intentionally hitting it, but he said for him that's like killing a fly or a rat...??

I just don't get how a human wouldn't bat an eye to kill something. I wont even kill bugs in my house if I don't have to, I put them outside.

Sorry guy I am very upset over the death of this squirrel. I at least went back to where he was hit and moved him into the side of the road.

Time for new, and different friends. Ones with compassion. Killing to feed yourself is one thing. But this was fun for him which is a sign of deeper issues. Many mass murderers started off torturing animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature