Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:56 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on your first hatchling! Looks like a beautiful female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 09:00 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Saibot - how can you tell it's a female?

It just spread its wings & flew away! Only about 20 chrysalis left. I tried to get some seeds from the pods but the tropical depression we had last weekend seems to have blown them all away. I guess I will be making another trip to my local nursery.

I know in California or Mexico they have 4 generations with the last one flying north (or is it south) so I would need more milkweed. Don't know if that is the same here. The lady at my plant nursery seems to be very knowledgeable about these things so I will ask her when I go there tomorrow. This could become an expensive hobby until I get my own seeds. They charge $12 a bush and the caterpillars went through both of the ones I bought last Saturday till there is nothing left but stems. Oh well, I'm making a difference, at least to the Monarchs.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:07 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Also make sure you are using the correct species/subspecies of milkweed that is native to your area, if that hasn't already been mentioned.

Plan to save monarch butterflies backfires | Science | AAAS

Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Saibot - how can you tell it's a female?
The males have a distinctive spot on their wings that the females lack. It's more visible when the wings are open, but you can see it when they're closed, too.

This is a good website to illustrate that: https://monarchbutterflygarden.net/f...rfly-pictures/ .

Old 06-02-2018, 02:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Also make sure you are using the correct species/subspecies of milkweed that is native to your area, if that hasn't already been mentioned.

Plan to save monarch butterflies backfires | Science | AAAS
This is a very good point, and I was going to bring it up at a later date. Follow the simple guidelines below, and all should be okay.

Quote:
There is some good news. Nearly all tropical milkweed in the southern United States is in gardens, Oberhauser says. So if everyone who planted it to help the butterflies can be convinced to replace it with a native milkweed species—or at least cut the plant back every few weeks during the winter—they could quickly put a stop to the destructive winter-breeding trend. (Native milkweed isn’t always as easy to get as tropical milkweed, but it’s starting to become more available online, Satterfield reports.) According to Oberhauser, tropical milkweed is “a problem we can solve.â€

Old 06-02-2018, 06:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,122 times
I didn't read all of the post but, thank you for caring about the Monarchs!

I have been on the beach numerous times during the Monarch migration and it is always so sad. You can't walk at all without stepping on the exhausted/half dead poor things. I actually have had a few people make fun of me for trying to scoop up as many as I could so I could place them in my "butterfly" bushes.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 AM

Did the ones you rescued do well?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 AM

Well this morning I have 5 more Monarch butterflies. Unfortunately one had deformed wings so I had to euthanize it by putting it in the freezer. That's what I read to do on the Monarch website. I feel bad for the poor thing. We counted the chrysalis yesterday and there are 27 in all including two that made their's on the patio chair cushions. I have to work today so I won't be hear to see them released when they are ready. My son will have to do it for me.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Did the ones you rescued do well?

I like to believe they all did but some were just too weak. But I literally scooped up as many as I could into grocery bags I carry when walking my dogs so it was impossible to know which were the ones I scooped up or the lucky ones that made it onto the yard by themselves.

There was one that would land on my sunglasses right between my eyes. I like to think it was one that I rescued!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well this morning I have 5 more Monarch butterflies. Unfortunately one had deformed wings so I had to euthanize it by putting it in the freezer. That's what I read to do on the Monarch website. I feel bad for the poor thing. We counted the chrysalis yesterday and there are 27 in all including two that made their's on the patio chair cushions. I have to work today so I won't be hear to see them released when they are ready. My son will have to do it for me.

That is sad. I actually did "surgery" on a beautiful large swallowtail last year. It flew too close to the grill and part of it's wing got burnt off so it couldn't fly.

I had to slightly chill him in the fridge so I could cut his good wing to match the burnt one. When I was done I put him outside in a cat carrier and when he warmed up he crawled out and sat on top of it for a while before he flew onto some flowers.

We were absolutely amazed I actually did it right. Didn't look pretty but at least it could fly. That butterfly actually stuck around for about a week.

Hoping I posted pics right. they show before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Need monarch butterfly advice - urgent-20160825_174227.jpg   Need monarch butterfly advice - urgent-20160825_182751-1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature