Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 02:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

When I was a kid, sometimes I would eat what we called clover pickles. The 'pickles' are just the bud of the clover flower. They kind of look like pickles, hanging from the clover plant. They taste a bit tart, but not much flavor per se.

Just curious if anyone else ever ate clover pickles. lol (Sometimes I still do.)

I should look things up BEFORE I post. Technically, I'm talking about Yellow Wood Sorrel, also known as lemon clover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Yes. We used to call it "orange juice clover" for want of a better term. As a kid, I'd sit in clover and taste it. Some clover just tasted like grass, but lots of times it would be orange juice clover and fun to munch on. I never ate the pickles, though, just the leaves.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:43 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Funny that you asked this question today bc this morning I picked a bunch of purple clover flowers to put in my salad. I did this bc I suddenly remembered eating them as a kid. They were tasty, very mildly sweet. There are lots of them in flower right now. Lots of white clover blooms also.

But to your question, no we never ate sorrel pickles. The sorrel that I am familiar with has very tart clovers.. We did eat it sometimes.. Called it sour grass. I don't remember ever seeing it with flowers, perhaps a different sort.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:21 AM

I haven't tried the purple clover flowers. I think I will now!

Another thing we used to do as kids...I grew up in Florida. In Florida, hibiscus is a perennial. We used to pick the flowers and suck the nectar out of them. My dad was not happy when we did that. Although, for some reason, he was never really MAD about it either. lol

And another thing we did...You know those little seed things that get stuck to your socks? We used to peel them to get the seeds out, and eat them. They have a nutty flavor to them.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:33 AM

And one more thing I eat sometimes...

Broadleaf plantain. I like to pick off the shoots that have the seeds, and munch on it. The whole plant is edible, and very nutritious, but I just eat the shoots.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:10 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
These? https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/pr...YcLRUeT7PYJNcz
Sure, used to eat them all the time as a kid, along with a bunch of other plants and grasses that I no longer remember. Mostly done during recess while playing 'horses', lol. I have no idea how we knew which plants were ok to eat, but we were a bunch of country kids so maybe came by it naturally.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
These? https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/pr...YcLRUeT7PYJNcz
Sure, used to eat them all the time as a kid, along with a bunch of other plants and grasses that I no longer remember. Mostly done during recess while playing 'horses', lol. I have no idea how we knew which plants were ok to eat, but we were a bunch of country kids so maybe came by it naturally.
Playing horses. :-) Did we grow up together? LOL

Our version of horses was us galloping around the yard, and one cowboy trying to corral us in a particular part of the yard.

And yes, your link is what I'm talking about. :-)

I also, am not sure how I knew it was OK to eat certain plants. Weird.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:50 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,231,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Playing horses. :-) Did we grow up together? LOL

Our version of horses was us galloping around the yard, and one cowboy trying to corral us in a particular part of the yard.

And yes, your link is what I'm talking about. :-)

I also, am not sure how I knew it was OK to eat certain plants. Weird.
That's so cute, Sassy. We never got that creative with it.

I had never heard of clover pickles, but yes, we would chew on various grasses, etc. We had a plant that we would pick the flowers from and suck out the nectar. We called it honeysuckle, but I'm not sure if it really was or not. The flowers were white and tubular-shaped, maybe an inch long. Seems like the petals were almost velvety.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:33 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Playing horses reminded me of a toy my dad made for me when I was little.. A stick horse using a old broom handle onto which he secured a piece of 1x8 lumber that he had cut into the shape of a horse head. I'd glue a mane onto it and draw eyes, nostrils and a mouth. He also secured reins that I held as I galloped around the yard. Lots of fun, thanks for the memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
We had a plant that we would pick the flowers from and suck out the nectar. We called it honeysuckle, but I'm not sure if it really was or not. The flowers were white and tubular-shaped, maybe an inch long. Seems like the petals were almost velvety.
Yes, that sounds like honeysuckle. The base of those long tubular flowers are very sweet. Hummers like them.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:23 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I have the honeysuckle in my garden. A pretty and tasty flower. It's a teenager at heart - it grows where it wants to grow. I'm not the boss of it!

Right now I am weeding out a lot of sorrel and purselane, both edible. My attempt at nasturtiums failed this year but I love both the blooms and leaves in a salad.

Ramps on the grill are good.

On an outing to a pioneer cemetery the other day I ate a clover head but I'm not sure what you mean by the "pickle" part.

Our sumac is beginning to flower which will mean bright red berries in the fall. You can make a lemon-y flavored drink from them but I leave them for the birds. In the spring when the robins arrive they seem glad to have them until the ground thaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature