Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times

Advertisements

We have talked about hurricanes and tornadoes..... what can you do when there are wildfires???
This is the first time I have experienced this sort if thing. We just closed on our property 12 days ago. Now there are wildfires burning about 5 miles away.
What kind of preparation could possible help other than standing guard with the water hose???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 08:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Last year, around two million acres burned in the NM / TX panhandle area. It looked like we were doomed once when fires burned all around the town with whirling winds. Thankfully local and out of state fire crews stopped it. Luckily this year its rained alot so were doing real good. Try not to worry too much.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Last year, around two million acres burned in the NM / TX panhandle area. It looked like we were doomed once when fires burned all around the town with whirling winds. Thankfully local and out of state fire crews stopped it. Luckily this year its rained alot so were doing real good. Try not to worry too much.
Thanks BrianH,
We haven't had rain in probably 7 weeks now.
The local fire departments are small and volunteer. I believe they have requested help from other areas at this point.
I keep telling myself, there is nothing I can really do short of standng there with the hose.
We are still in a rental, so all our stuff is here with us, not at the new property.
I'd just hate to see the beautiful land we bought destroyed. The home is insured, but it would be hard to replace all the beautiful 100 y.o. trees.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Here are some handy guidelines for understanding fire and protecting your home.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/bpr/Response/Plans/Nathaz/firewise/index.htm (broken link)

Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Here are some handy guidelines for understanding fire and protecting your home.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/bpr/Response/Plans/Nathaz/firewise/index.htm (broken link)
Thank Ellie !
I did ride out there yesterday. Raked up some leaves and put a good soaking on the yard. I have about 3 acres of forest surrounding my new home.
All the trees seem to be in decent (not dry) condition. We have sugar sand roads when you get into the neighborhood. I am thinking that sand would help to put out the fire.?????

Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM

Home:

Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 AM

That is absolutely beautiful land! I want to come visit you when you get settled.

If you have time, it would be a good idea to contact your local forest service office and ask them to come out to your property. From everything I can tell, they are more than willing to help you protect your land.

It saves them work too, in the long run.

Don't freak out if they suggest cutting fire breaks or trimming things back. It's a small price to pay for protecting your home.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
That is absolutely beautiful land! I want to come visit you when you get settled.

If you have time, it would be a good idea to contact your local forest service office and ask them to come out to your property. From everything I can tell, they are more than willing to help you protect your land.

It saves them work too, in the long run.

Don't freak out if they suggest cutting fire breaks or trimming things back. It's a small price to pay for protecting your home.
Thank You Ellie !
I have never lived in a manufactured home before, so I am more nervous than ever. We bought the land (5 1/2 acres) to build on. Our home sit on
4 1/2 acres that backs up to the wetland preserve. The other acre is set up with power/water/sewer and it won't be long before we have a guest house.
Your welcome to visit!
The forestry department is busy fighting this huge fire. At the moment, our area isn't considered threatened. It is moving South West of us. All it will take is a shift in the wind to bring us into harms way. They have been evacuating people since Monday.
I am staying in contact with the neighbors and officials out there. We are tucked back in a culdesac off of the road and have a creek on the North East corner of the property (although it has been very dry). I want to believe the sand roads will help.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 AM

Once the rush is over, try to get with the forest service to make a plan.

The main thing I know is that you are supposed to keep a 30' buffer of open ground around your home. It doesn't have to be right up against your house as long as it surrounds it. It's a trick to preserve shade trees and create the open buffer, but if you are creative it can often be done.

Fire breaks around the perimeter of your land or running through it will help to slow it down but will do nothing for blown sparks.

pm me if you need extra advice as I might be able to find which box I put all of this vital info.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Sorry to say, but not much you or anybody can do if it gets out of control.

Our whole COUNTY was evacuated and under martial law in 1998 when the fires "jumped" from the undeveloped areas across I-95. I lived 15 miles away on the beach and had ash all over everything. We had firefighters from all over the country helping out.

Just keep all your valuable papers in a fireproof box and make a list of the things you'd want to take with you if you were told to get out.

Best of luck to you in your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature