Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
How much value do you put on the natural world?

Is it just something that you assume will always be there?

How far do you need to travel from your home to get to untouched, or at least unspoiled countryside, ( that is, without manmade junk ), and do you make this distance a requirement of the place you live in?

How important is it to you to have wildlife?

The reason I ask these questions is that I live in the UK, and I can’t think of anywhere locally to me, ( that is, within 300 miles ), that has not been ruined by the hand of man.
we even have supposed environmental organisations that maintain countryside, or at least allow it to be maintained, in what can only be classed as a vandalised state.

Have people got too far from nature? I think so!
I put a lot of value on the natural (untouched or only lightly touched by man) world. I don't assume it will always be there in a pristine condition, but nature and animals are adaptive and I think once man muddles everything many species will learn to coexist; although many will die out and that is abhorrent to me. If it was normal natural selection causing critters to go extinct, it wouldn't bother me as much; but man doesn't quite operate by the rules when it comes to natural selection.

To get to untouched land, I only have to go about 100 feet from my tent. I live on 80 acres of undeveloped forest in the middle of nowhere in Alaska surrounded by miles and miles of undeveloped state land that is also mostly forest. There are only a about 250 people living in the 100 mile radius of my place, most of them not even full-time, and that's one of the primary reasons I chose this place.

There are oodles of wildlife all around me -- black bears, brown bears, moose, wolverines, wolves, foxes, lynx, beavers, martens, hares, grouse, ptarmigan, falcons, hawks, owls, ermine, squirrels and porcupines. So many varied plants that my field guide is the size of a textbook. And the creeks and rivers are teeming with salmon, grayling, sheefish, burgot, and others. BUT that's only because there aren't that many humans around here and we're in a somewhat restricted hunting and fishing area (subsistence is allowed, but sport and commercial is more difficult).

My husband is a Geordie, and all this wide open untouched nature stuns him at times. The fact that we have to drive 4 hours to get to the nearest city, with pretty much nothing between here and there, confounds his family's ability to visualize

I don't think man has gotten ttoo far from nature... he just bulldozed over it without thinking. I definitely think man has gotten too far out of touch with nature and ignores/oversteps his place in nature. Most people are anthropocentric and think humans have the right to do whatever we want to the planet in the name of humanity... they often forget that all the species are in the same closed system, the ecosphere we call Earth, and that we are all interconnected within it. No single species should place so much importance on themselves that it annihilates the other species or we'll all be in deep ****e.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:11 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
That's too bad. Maybe now that they know they can't develop it any further, somebody can step forward and put up money for a park or something. An airfield would probably be ideal for that.

I take it as well, that land costs are probably somewhat prohibitive? Has anyone put forth the idea of green roofs on these housing estates? At least it'd give people somewhere to go, as well as give them a connection, however tenuous, to the world beyond the concrete.

It would be nice if it was the end for that project, but I am sure the local authority will find a way to change their interpretation of the rules.
It would be nice as a park or something, but at the moment it is used by light aircraft, aircraft restoration, a market, a museum and a number of other things, so it wasn’t as if it had no value to start with.

As you said, land prices are prohibitive. The idea of green roofs does sometimes come up, but doesn’t often get implemented.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Realize that man is inseparable from 'nature' as he is part of nature. Everything we do therefore is 'natural'. Un-natural is an impossible term that is born of poetic license.

On the other hand we exist because we have evolved to fill a niche in an eddy on the river of change. If change occurs sooner than we can adapt, we go away. This is true for every plant, insect and animal. It is the celestial choreography of the planets that we all dance to. The seasonal changes in daylight and temperature determine our dance steps and evoke evolved chemical and glandular changes in every plant and animal/human.

While here in the US, woods and fields fall to development at an alarming rate, yet there still exists a tremendous amount of living diversity that is overlooked. There are so many natural treasures hidden in plain view but no one to herald its existence.

The contrast, I think, is best seen between European countries and the US is terms of the tremendous diversity of living communities that exist in the US. The cascade of life flows from this diversity beginning with soils, plants, insects, birds and animals, each interdependent on the levels above and below.

The impression a couple from northern England had when I took them on a short back woods tour in the heart of central New Jersey was one of awe. These folks, like most Euros, had travelled far and wide yet they were in awe of this particular area so close to NYC. They were amazed that the area was so peaceful and quiet and devoid of any other humans.
The variety of birds, butterflies, trees and shrubs really got their attention but it was sighting a cardinal and then a red fox that really made their day.

Another world wide Swiss traveler came with me on a paddle down the local river and was amazed at seeing a turtle. The white-tailed deer, turkeys, red tailed hawks, osprey, herons, kingfishers, ducks and variety of song birds seen were an absolute thrill. Again the lack of people in an area so close to NYC seemed incomprehensible to her.

As we are born of nature we must look to nature to learn about ourselves. Living systems are all analogous as we are part of the same orchestra led by a single conductor. Whether it be an architectural, engineering or medical advance we find the inspiration in the behavior of bees, the reaction of plants to injury and the hibernation of groundhogs.

A most shocking thought is that those who hunt and trap, probably have the greatest respect and appreciation of the diversity and influence of 'nature' and feel as kindred spirits with all life forms.

The pair of fawns crossing the peaceful river in late June might well be bred and carrying fawns of their own by December. This pastoral setting belies the dynamic change that is forever taking place in 'nature'.
That is the best description of the situation we are in I have seen, and something, I believe, few would acknowledge or understand.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarole View Post
As an individual,we should take our part in making mother Earth as clean as possible!

Granted there are rules implemented, But what are those rules without acting it? or doing it?

I wont be cleaning my hands,cause I know within myself that I have also faults,I'm one of the people who "used" to ignore the screaming of our mother Earth.

But,in small ways we can undo what we used to do,and start a new and healthy world to live!
planting trees,throwing garbage properly/Recycling..Those are just few ways to start with.

A small act,Can make a Big Difference!
Not just today but for the future inhabitants of this world!
I concur entirely.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I guess I have a different take on being close to nature and what constitutes the natural world. I really love the UK and I see and appreciate nature everywhere. The fact that nature is so ordered there - every square inch of land has a purpose, does not bother me, but rather I find it beautiful!

I love the rolling hills (which were blazing yellow as far as the eye could see when I left a few weeks ago - never seen so much canola (rapeseed) in my life and wow was it a brilliant sight!!!) The greens are so green, magnolia trees were blooming everywhere, cherry trees were glowing.

I don't need solitude or lack of evidence of humanity in order to feel at one with nature - and I guess I am lucky in that, as many people do seem to need the absence of humans in order to feel they are in the natural world.

If anything, moving from Canada to England made me appreciate nature more - in Canada I took the wide open spaces and forests for granted - living in England where property is so valuable, I think it is fabulous how the fields have hedgerows and ancient stone walls that divide the hills. I love how everyone takes their little space of green and does something with it!!

I like the absence of people and structures - but even with that all around, I can still revel in nature. I have a huge vegetable garden, a compost heap full of life, big fat earthworms crawling through my soil, a bird's nest in the eavestrough, a herb garden bursting with flavour - all of that is the natural world to me.
It’s good that you can be happy with the area around you, but many people don’t even appreciate the things you mention, and hence see nothing wrong with uncontrolled development and total destruction of what is left.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am very fortunate in that I live on 26 acres of rural Missouri. Most of it has never been altered by the hand of man, as far as I know.

I can stand out on my back deck (stark naked, I might add) and see nothing but trees around me. Now, I can HEAR plenty of noise, thanks to being next to a pretty busy highway and less than 1 mile from one of the largest (and most populated) lakes in SW MO (Tablerock). Those boats are very loud... LOL But as far as bing in nature - it's right out my back door.

So far, in my back yard I have seen deer, fox, coyote, racoon, opossum, and more birds than I could ever hope to count. I love nature and consider myself very fortunate to be here.

20yrsinBranson
That must be really nice, apart from the noise from the road and lake.
Make the most of it while you’ve got it.
I don’t think I will try the Naturist bit, ( too many neighbours ).

Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I put a lot of value on the natural (untouched or only lightly touched by man) world. I don't assume it will always be there in a pristine condition, but nature and animals are adaptive and I think once man muddles everything many species will learn to coexist; although many will die out and that is abhorrent to me. If it was normal natural selection causing critters to go extinct, it wouldn't bother me as much; but man doesn't quite operate by the rules when it comes to natural selection.

To get to untouched land, I only have to go about 100 feet from my tent. I live on 80 acres of undeveloped forest in the middle of nowhere in Alaska surrounded by miles and miles of undeveloped state land that is also mostly forest. There are only a about 250 people living in the 100 mile radius of my place, most of them not even full-time, and that's one of the primary reasons I chose this place.

There are oodles of wildlife all around me -- black bears, brown bears, moose, wolverines, wolves, foxes, lynx, beavers, martens, hares, grouse, ptarmigan, falcons, hawks, owls, ermine, squirrels and porcupines. So many varied plants that my field guide is the size of a textbook. And the creeks and rivers are teeming with salmon, grayling, sheefish, burgot, and others. BUT that's only because there aren't that many humans around here and we're in a somewhat restricted hunting and fishing area (subsistence is allowed, but sport and commercial is more difficult).

My husband is a Geordie, and all this wide open untouched nature stuns him at times. The fact that we have to drive 4 hours to get to the nearest city, with pretty much nothing between here and there, confounds his family's ability to visualize

I don't think man has gotten ttoo far from nature... he just bulldozed over it without thinking. I definitely think man has gotten too far out of touch with nature and ignores/oversteps his place in nature. Most people are anthropocentric and think humans have the right to do whatever we want to the planet in the name of humanity... they often forget that all the species are in the same closed system, the ecosphere we call Earth, and that we are all interconnected within it. No single species should place so much importance on themselves that it annihilates the other species or we'll all be in deep ****e.
I agree with everything you say.

I have to admit to feeling a bit envious of your position.

Many from developed areas seem to feel the same as your Husband.
I visited Florida last year, and even though Florida could be classed as a densely populated part of the US, me not being the “teddy the tourist type”, drove a couple of thousand miles while I was there. I know driving is not natural, but that’s what we do, being human. I found some really nice places, miles from the populated areas.
To me, being miles from anywhere is great, but to my Wife, well she said it makes her feel vulnerable, I will say that when she moved out to the so called countryside where we both live now, she was scared to go out in the dark, though.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I like the absence of people and structures - but even with that all around, I can still revel in nature. I have a huge vegetable garden, a compost heap full of life, big fat earthworms crawling through my soil, a bird's nest in the eavestrough, a herb garden bursting with flavour - all of that is the natural world to me.
Absolutely. I think we do get a bit spoiled here, as you said. But I find it sad that some people don't have, or don't care to have access to even that.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Lots of people from densely urbanized areas tend to freak out a bit when they hit wide open spaces. I drove cross-country with a friend who'd never been out of Washington DC... when we got to Minnesota with nothing but prairie for miles and miles, she said that it "felt too big" like she was "going to fall off the Earth". I can sort of understan where she's coming from since I have the opposite problem, being a large city makes me feel like I'm going to be crushed and smothered.

My in-laws think it's crazy that we'd want to live somewhere that you actually have to keep a shotgun with you at all times during the summer in case of bear or moose attack... especially since guns are the epitome of evil in the UK. For us, it's just a fact of life, like not having running water or septic.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
What do the in-laws think about you living in a tent year around in Alaska ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature