Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:05 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times

Advertisements

This post is only the first in doing some research and due diligence. I haven't even made up my mind for sure or even if I'll be able make this journey.

I am a native Californian. Now before you crap about being invaded by another Californian expat, please realize that I am not a stereotypical Californian. I am a white man, 40 YO. Politics that lean Conservative/MOR/Libertarian. I drive both a Honda and a Ford Mustang. I love wearing tee shirts and blue jeans. I'm not really a big fan of big cities and don't dare touch a soybean and granola diet. No siree. I love my bacon and eggs and am a sucker for a good barbecue. But I also understand the importance of regular exercise but do that through work and hard play such as swimming. None of that yoga-esque dance classes nonsense.

So you can see that I don't really fit in California.

I was born and grew up in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas but several years ago moved to the Central Valley. For those of you who are not familiar with the geography of California, the Central Valley is primarily agricultural in terms of economy. I've heard the valley best described as a merging of the American Midwest with Tuijuana, Mexico. Plus, being in a landlocked valley, the region is just dirty because the wind carrying all that crud, soot, and dust has nowhere to go.

Put it all together: the dysfunctional politics of California, the very high crime...excuse me...racially diverse (by which I mean predominantly Mexican) areas, sky high unemployment, insane laws and regulations (I needed to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in my house to get a permit for....an outdoor gazebo approved...WTH?), the dirty air, the rather dull weather, and I've just had enough of this.

I want an area that is topographically scenic...has the four seasons....but fairly easy access to most modern amenities without the crowds, traffic, extortionate cost of living, and seeing graffiti everywhere I go.

One day I was just exploring Google Earth and Street View. One community really grabbed my attention: Cedar Creek. Looks to be more or less SW of Omaha on the S side of the Platte river.

Maybe not THAT town, but that's the *KIND* of place I have always dreamed of living in: small community, a mix of wooded areas, small rolling hills, and wide open fields, river (read: water sports), and so forth. I'm assuming it has the four seasons instead of the monotony that's most of CA, and at least on the map, appears to be not that far from civilization: Omaha. I'm guessing that the air is clean, the skies blue, and tons of stars are visible at night. From what I've learned up to now, eastern NE appears to win in terms of scenery. I guess the further west you go, the flatter, drier, and more desolate it gets.

So tell me: what are some other places cut from that cloth? I "drove" the streets in and around that area and like I said...it's exactly the type of place I'd love to be in.

What is cost of living in terms of housing? Currently I own a 4br 1800 sq ft new build home that cost me about 200k. My property taxes are about $1800 a year. I work in transportation and logistics so am making a decent salary. No children. So schools are of no concern to me.

What about the climate? I'm aware that Nebraska is part of "tornado alley", but how often do they strike that part of the state? I saw quite a few tall standing trees in my exploring which implies that none or few have hit that area recently. I also would imagine there's snow in the wintertime. Is it measured in inches or feet? How are the summers? I enjoy...all in moderation....a good t-storm, calm sunny day, cold gray winter day, cold crisp clear winter day, a breezy warm spring day with awesome clouds, and so forth. Heat, I can handle to some extent. How's the humidity? Is flooding a major concern? How are the locals and what is culture like in the state? Since I would be an outsider essentially starting over, I'd be completely on my own. It's 50/50 that the wife would join me on this journey in the event I decide to pursue it (a whole separate discussion).

Remember again. This is more of a thought exercise and a first step at doing some research as opposed to announcing a decision that's already been made. So I thank you in advance for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:56 PM

84 posts, read 138,671 times
Quote:
I want an area that is topographically scenic...
Then don't move to Nebraska, LOL.

Quote:
I'm aware that Nebraska is part of "tornado alley", but how often do they strike that part of the state?
The central part of the state (where almost no one lives) gets hammered the hardest by tornadoes. That being said, not very many people get killed by tornadoes in Nebraska, so don't bother worrying about it. You're far more likely to get killed by one of our psychotic drivers while driving to work.

Quote:
I also would imagine there's snow in the wintertime. Is it measured in inches or feet
Inches.

Quote:
Heat, I can handle to some extent. How's the humidity?
It gets quite humid during the summers in the Lincoln/Omaha area, but not as bad as in the South.

Quote:
racially diverse (by which I mean predominantly Mexican) areas
We have Mexicans in Nebraska too. Schuyler and Lexington are actually Latino-majority towns. Some of the skinny Latinas are pretty cute, especially when compared to our mostly fat native-born women.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Default A question

I've seen the movie Children of the Corn and also the remake from 2009. The movies take place in Nebraska. Is it true that Nebraska has the highest amount of cornfields in the country? I apologize for my ignorance, just curious.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 PM

219 posts, read 455,504 times
If you don't make your mind up with Nebraska, check out Iowa! My personal opinion is Iowa is definitely more scenic than Nebraska.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:39 PM

125 posts, read 143,629 times
Too bad the football sucks

Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 AM

84 posts, read 138,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Is it true that Nebraska has the highest amount of cornfields in the country?
I don't think so. Take a look at this corn production chart on Wikipedia. It looks like Iowa and Illinois have more. Farmers around here also grow a lot of soybeans too.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 AM

9 posts, read 56,327 times
Nebraska is very scenic Enjoyed Wildcat Hills on a Nebraska vacation. Go Huskers!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:14 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I only live a few miles from Cedar Creek. There are plenty of trees and rolling hills. Very quiet there. You have 2 very nice state parks near there (Mahoney state park 3 miles and Platte River about 3 miles). If you don't mind driving to Ashland or Louisville for food (both about 5-8 miles) or to Omaha about 30 mins for food then this could be your place.

Tornadoes have not been much to be concerned for the last 20 years (most of the activity has been south of us)

Property taxes are higher here then most states. For a 200K house I would expect about $3000/year.

I'm very familiar with the southern California area and central valley. This would be a large culture shock for you. Expect your whole live to slow down dramatically. Outside of Omaha and Lincoln, it's a very conservative state. Most people have firearms, there is little to no crime in this area. The vehicle of choice here is the pick-up. The surrounding fields will be corn or soy beans. No cattle in the area.

The populace are well educated and we have few hill billy types.

I have lived here all my life, but I have spent time in several areas of the country. Being retired, I could have moved anywhere but I'm still here. I have no plans on moving.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I only live a few miles from Cedar Creek. There are plenty of trees and rolling hills. Very quiet there.
Peaceful, quiet, and scenic. Exactly what I want.

Quote:
If you don't mind driving to Ashland or Louisville for food (both about 5-8 miles) or to Omaha about 30 mins for food then this could be your place.
-THAT would be much more of a culture shock to me. I've always been accustomed to having everything available within ten minutes or less. But again, that's the tradeoff of living in a quiet area. As long as the drive isn't so far that I have to bring an ice chest to bring home perishables from the store. That might be a bit much. If I have easy access to restaurants, shopping, day to day amenities, and even social life like bars and clubs while still having a fairly easy retreat back to my quiet domicile, that would be perfect; if and when I do make a move like this, it will mean I am again single.

Quote:
Tornadoes have not been much to be concerned for the last 20 years (most of the activity has been south of us)
Good. The large number of trees I saw in and around the area while browsing on Google Street View supports that; an area that's been repeatedly flattened by twisters isn't going to have many mature trees standing around.

Quote:
Property taxes are higher here then most states. For a 200K house I would expect about $3000/year.
-About what I'm paying now. But if income and other taxes are lower, then I still come out ahead.

Quote:
I'm very familiar with the southern California area and central valley. This would be a large culture shock for you.
I've lived in parts of LA county, Orange County, the Inland Empire and now the Central Valley. I can adjust.

Quote:
Expect your whole live to slow down dramatically. Outside of Omaha and Lincoln, it's a very conservative state.
This would be the biggest conflict for me. All my life people have always assumed that I'm from back east because of my fast thinking, fast talking, hurried nature. It's truly ironic that I want a slow[er] pace of life even though people that think, talk, drive, and move slowly are among my biggest pet peeves.

Quote:
Most people have firearms, there is little to no crime in this area. The vehicle of choice here is the pick-up.
An armed society is a polite one. Might need to look into a pickup truck though. I currently drive a Honda Civic for commuting and a Mustang Cobra convertible for fun and have always wanted a little hotrod roadster such as a Honda S2000 or similar. Even if I get a truck, which I'm sure would be practical, would a fun little roadster be too terribly incongruous?

Quote:
The surrounding fields will be corn or soy beans. No cattle in the area.
-Which would suit me just fine. Much of Tulare, Kern, and Kings Counties are dairy farms and ranches and it stinks to high heaven at times. Won't miss that at all. Give me plant based crops over livestock any day.

Quote:
The populace are well educated and we have few hill billy types.
I am a strange unique one.....and am a Frankenstein composite that would be impossible to stereotype. There are elements of both contemporary society as well as Old School Redneck that define me and also aspects of both cultures that equally repel me. I would probably be a psychoanalists dream to try and dissect; even Facebooks marketing algorithms can't figure me out because of the disparate range of views and interests that I have. The "suggested" ads are all over the place.

Thank you for the input. Sorry it too me so long to respond.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 AM

152 posts, read 244,641 times
Do you want to live in the country, but close to a city? If that's the case, you have a lot of good choices. Stay within and hour of Omaha. Omaha is the only city in Nebraska that is going to offer any of the "bigger city amenities."

If you want more of a farm/ranch feel, go west or south of Omaha. If you want more hilly, rugged, wooded areas, go north of Omaha.

And don't forget that there are a LOT of nice places in Iowa, that are very close to Omaha.

On the other hand, if you don't want to be near a city, then just about anywhere will do.

I would recommend flying into Omaha some time, renting a car, and just driving around the countryside getting a feel for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska