Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 48,063 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving back to Nebraska b/c the state we live in now has become overrun with illegal immigrants. From what I've been reading, though, it seems like at least some parts of Nebraska are having the same problem?

We were looking at moving to the Columbus, NE area. Does anyone know if this area is experiencing an influx of illegal immigrants?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,003 times
Yes Nebraska has had some problems with illegal immigrants, mainly in towns with meat packing plants. There was a raid in Grand Island last year that turned into quite the news story. I don't believe Columbus itself has a large number of illegal, but Schuyler to the east has had some problems.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 48,063 times
Regarding Schuyler, my husband's grandmother had mentioned that there was a pretty big problem w/illegal immigrants there. I wondered if Columbus might have the same problem, if not now, maybe later on, since they're so close.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,467 times
Schuyler to the east of Columbus and Madison to the north both carry a big percentage of illegals.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
As does Omaha......

Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 23,594 times
Most Nebraska towns with packing plants have a sizeable illegal alien population as does South Omaha. Here in South 0 we are having a bad problem with graffitti. I lived in California from 1984 to 1994 and left mainly because the entire region was being overrun. I don't think you can run from illegals anymore. They are everywhere and the sad thing is all 3 of our current Presidential contenders seem to be a-okay with maintaining an open borders policy. Nebraska is still a friendly area for illegals, but many of us are starting to take a serious look at the problem and are voting accordingly.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 AM

4 posts, read 16,695 times
Default Response to topic

I live in Oregon, in a relatively small area, and gangs have moved in recently. It's not just grafitti, either, alas. Anyway, hubby and I have the house on the market - we're moving out of state as well. I didn't sign up for this.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:03 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,259 times
I'm glad I took a peek in here.
The Graffiti in So. O is getting so common and is so unsightly. I feel so very sorry for all the business and property owners that have to keep cleaning it up. I'm also very concerned with all the shootings and stabbings, robberies and so forth. Is it my imagination? Or does it seem to others there's way to much crime?

Old 03-29-2008, 01:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
I'm glad I took a peek in here.
The Graffiti in So. O is getting so common and is so unsightly. I feel so very sorry for all the business and property owners that have to keep cleaning it up. I'm also very concerned with all the shootings and stabbings, robberies and so forth. Is it my imagination? Or does it seem to others there's way to much crime?
Northeast Omaha is high crime.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:49 PM

156 posts, read 609,742 times
Isn't it something else that American citizens have to be the ones to leave or -- from the sounds of it - run from this overrun?

All within the safe confines of our own country, too. The land of the ---- brave?

Once I used to live in Mexico (for mission-oriented purposes as well as curiosity). I won't expound on what their nightly newscasters behaved like on the subject of their citizens choosing to be illegal immigrants of the U.S., other than to say they deemed them as "just some down-on-their-luck-folk looking for decent opportunities for their family and a new start, that's all". (please.) Naturally, the difficulty for me, accustomed to petitioning against corruption and human rights infringement, was to see the corrupt mexican govt. seriously harassing these down-and-out-people. So, it wasn't there. It was that the news folk were refusing to give the full picture or at least to remind and stress to their own that crossing without papers was ILLEGAL.

I will say that once, on the news, there was a Mexican criminal being interviewed. He had just been deported back by the U.S. border patrol. Sure enuf, their PC television crews had to eagerly interview him, and naturally, he clearly showed that he loved all the spotlight and cameras.

He answered their question of "what are you going to do when you get out?" (like they were interviewing a sports celebrity).

The guy VERY arrogantly looked right in the camera and said in spanish "well, go back, of course!! I mean, America! It's America! It's SUPPOSED to be the land of the free, right? You can do anything you want, that's what it's for! I'm free there!" I about gagged whole on my tamale. Unfortunately, only one of the Mexican family members I lived with were almost as sickened, though not as much as I. The rest of the family appeared calm after watching that.

A large portion of the constituency down there cross the border each day for work (to work in San Diego legally). I think most of the others who do not get to see our country truly do not get what it's like for us Americans. My observations were that they saw our battle with illegal immigration more from the standpoint of their fellow Mexican citizens. Like I alluded to, there were some who were sympathetic, such as that father disgusted by that criminal's remark. But, sadly, for the most part, their news media presented the image completely differently, thus, the populus were laid back about it.
Some San Diegans were aware of how their media presented the whole thing.

Sometimes I really have no other recourse than to believe that most business owners of corporate america (notice I refuse to capitalize that) have little in them to care that many of the illegals who cross have been found and tried to be actual rapists or pedophiles. Now. Will a concerned business owner please stand up? Yes, you over there! The nice gentleman with a family of four!
Sorry this is long. Thot you'd maybe wanna know some facts. Thx. for listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska