Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times

Advertisements

Well, we moved here on purpose this past May. Why "on purpose"? LOL the first questions everyone asks are -
How did you find us? (On the internet.)
Why here? (we were looking for a country lifestyle that was comfortable, open, honest, and laid back, and NOT growing. We don't want our chickens or greenhouse or garden or cows and horses to be ordinanced out in a few years.)
No, why HERE? (Oh! The Sandhills have so much diversity of nature - everything from cacti to the river bluffs. We have snow in the winter and real seasons - and the people are sooo friendly!)
Did you have family here, or have you ever lived here before? (nope, and nope!)

Hee hee. I really really love the people here. They are up front and honest, no sidestepping - so if bluntness is not your cup of tea, or if honesty is not your way, they mght be a turnoff. The crime is low. The kids are - well, not naive, they are centered. They know who they are and what they want, and don't destroy things for the fun of it. Their parents are strict and don't tolerate foolishness. A lot of common sense and practicality here. They don't have any use for welfare-dependent mommies or drugs, and certainly don't encourage them - that isn't to say that they aren't here, but they are far fewer and less widespread than I am used to. We live in the rural area so I don't see young men's underwear or young ladies' bosoms and nose-piercings. Of course, it's hard to ride a cutting horse or brand Dad's cattle all day dressed like the 'city kids'! The schools actually EDUCATE the children, and teach them real-life skills along with practical knowledge and well-founded science and mathematics. They learn real hands-on art, music, and even drama, too.

The countryside is so diverse and beautiful, thw wildlife is huge and amazing, the water is pure and the food is cheap and delicious, locally grown.

Um... please, don't move here. No one else!!! Can we stretch the barbed wire across the interstates?? LOL I don't want this place to be overrun with the folks who demand Wal Mart and Starbucks within five minutes' drive. It's too, too perfect to be fouled by yuppie puppies, those who don't want to do or even understand hard work, or the value of a beautiful sunset behind a herd of antelope, a grill-cooked Angus steak with friends in the local diner, or a roaring woodstove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Well, we moved here on purpose this past May. Why "on purpose"? LOL the first questions everyone asks are -
How did you find us? (On the internet.)
Why here? (we were looking for a country lifestyle that was comfortable, open, honest, and laid back, and NOT growing. We don't want our chickens or greenhouse or garden or cows and horses to be ordinanced out in a few years.)
No, why HERE? (Oh! The Sandhills have so much diversity of nature - everything from cacti to the river bluffs. We have snow in the winter and real seasons - and the people are sooo friendly!)
Did you have family here, or have you ever lived here before? (nope, and nope!)

Hee hee. I really really love the people here. They are up front and honest, no sidestepping - so if bluntness is not your cup of tea, or if honesty is not your way, they mght be a turnoff. The crime is low. The kids are - well, not naive, they are centered. They know who they are and what they want, and don't destroy things for the fun of it. Their parents are strict and don't tolerate foolishness. A lot of common sense and practicality here. They don't have any use for welfare-dependent mommies or drugs, and certainly don't encourage them - that isn't to say that they aren't here, but they are far fewer and less widespread than I am used to. We live in the rural area so I don't see young men's underwear or young ladies' bosoms and nose-piercings. Of course, it's hard to ride a cutting horse or brand Dad's cattle all day dressed like the 'city kids'! The schools actually EDUCATE the children, and teach them real-life skills along with practical knowledge and well-founded science and mathematics. They learn real hands-on art, music, and even drama, too.

The countryside is so diverse and beautiful, thw wildlife is huge and amazing, the water is pure and the food is cheap and delicious, locally grown.

Um... please, don't move here. No one else!!! Can we stretch the barbed wire across the interstates?? LOL I don't want this place to be overrun with the folks who demand Wal Mart and Starbucks within five minutes' drive. It's too, too perfect to be fouled by yuppie puppies, those who don't want to do or even understand hard work, or the value of a beautiful sunset behind a herd of antelope, a grill-cooked Angus steak with friends in the local diner, or a roaring woodstove.
Sounds like heaven ... wish I could skip college and go straight to this. Can I visit? lol promise I'm not yuppy at all.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
OH....ok, you can visit. But you have to do like everyone else - pick up your own trash, wave to everyone, smile and joke, open doors for people behind you, stop and speak in the grocery parking lot, and be at the local watering hole on Saturdays for the Husker games!

But you can only stay if you can appreciate the life, the countryside, and the people. You must promise on your honor (still very important here - that word, honor) that you will NOT try to bring in some fancy development with HOAs, or a bunch of snowbirds who suddenly think that just because they fouled up their OWN nest, they can move somewhere else and foul that one up, too! I'm as fanatical as any tree hugging environmentalist or social worker (opposite end of the spectrum) about making sure this wonnerful place is protected.

I told the local Town Board that I would fight like the dickens to keep out developers - and I meant it! But for nice people who know what real life is all about, who know what is needed, are willing and able to supply it, and who are willing to bend over backwards to help their neighbors and receive the same kind of help - Nebraska is THE place to live. But don't tell ANYONE else. If they ask where you are going, say, Colorado or Las Vegas. They'll believe you more readily.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,330 times
Glad to see your loving it here SCGranny! Sounds like your fitting in well and might even becoming a Husker fan!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:28 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Wow. With comments like those from Granny why the hell would anyone wanted to go to such a close minded, xenophobic, panacaea? I'll be sure to avoid it like the plague it is.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Wow. With comments like those from Granny why the hell would anyone wanted to go to such a close minded, xenophobic, panacaea? I'll be sure to avoid it like the plague it is.
What? She wants people who don't complain and have manners and want to be involved in a rural community? That's okay, at least it's working to keep people like you out.

GRANNY I'm like you!!!!! You are describing everything I dream of in a place to live while living life here on Earth. I always love finding people like myself.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Well she just displayed typical Nebraskan ignorance and unacceptance of others. She really is turning into a real Nebraskan. Good for her.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:09 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,415 times
SCGRANNY.....

I am so envious of you!!! I would LOVE to live in NE!!! I just spent 10 days there on vacation, driving from one end of the state to the other, and I completely fell in love with the state. It's beautiful, open, and everyone is so friendly. It felt like "home".
Being there brings out the best in me.
My DH says it's because I have NE in my blood (father was born and raised there) but I say it's because I have NE in my heart.
I would move there in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Well she just displayed typical Nebraskan ignorance and unacceptance of others. She really is turning into a real Nebraskan. Good for her.
How? She just said dont move here if you dont want to open doors for people and be friendly. Is it REALLY fair to claim her as ignorant for that? Maybe you're being close-minded by being too quick to judge.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 AM

94 posts, read 337,244 times
Bravo northern traveler!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska