Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM

189 posts, read 219,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
So we will most likely be moving to Nebraska in April! What do I need to know about Nebraska people? I understand that Nebraska football is a religion there. Since Bo Pellini will be the head coach (formerly def.coach at LSU. Geaux Tigers!) I think I'll be able to cheer for them. I hate Hillary, so I think I'm ok there as well. What else do I need to know?
As long as you don't complain about Nebraska football or paying taxes, you should get along fine !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
ROFL, Cole! U R Baaaaad...
I don't hold that (or my knees) against a person, tho'.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
So we will most likely be moving to Nebraska in April! What do I need to know about Nebraska people? I understand that Nebraska football is a religion there. Since Bo Pellini will be the head coach (formerly def.coach at LSU. Geaux Tigers!) I think I'll be able to cheer for them. I hate Hillary, so I think I'm ok there as well. What else do I need to know?
I grew-up in Nebraska and still visit frequently because I have family there. I've been living in NY for about 8 months now and with my personal experience, people in Upstate NYers are a bit more "friendly" than Nebraskans which many might find odd. For instance, you are much less likely in Nebraska for a stranger to start chatting with you at the grocery store. Or the biggest difference of all, someone giving you a good natured hard time which happens all the time in Upstate. Nebraskans are a little more reserved and NYers are less likely to worry what people think of them. Also, NYers seem to "mind their own business" a bit better, I'm guessing because there is more diversity back east. There are more important things to worry about than where a person came from or what their background is.

Also, they'll look a little different because there is a strong Scandanavian/German heritage in Nebraska which means less Italians, Greeks, Middle Easterners, African Americans, and folks with a Jewish background. The "native" food will reflect that too. However, there is a large Mexican population which means good Mexican food which I miss.

I hope I didn't offend but there is a different culture back east and I'm probably talking about extremes on both ends. Most people in general are similar at both places and the only way you could tell them apart are by their faint accents. Nebraska and Upstate NY are fairly rural and everyone is generally friendly at both places.

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 01-31-2008 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-31-2008, 07:36 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
As long as you don't complain about Nebraska football or paying taxes, you should get along fine !
Oh...she pays her taxes, don't worry about that. She lives in Schenectady County!

LOL!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Oh...she pays her taxes, don't worry about that. She lives in Schenectady County!

LOL!
No kidding!!! I feel robbed. Thanks for the info btw. Very useful.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM

211 posts, read 978,811 times
Default Info on Nebraska . . .

Ok, I know this may sound *crazy,* but my spouse and I want to move out of Ohio. Can't stand it.

Our first choice has always been to move *South,* but I've read some nice things about Nebraska. Can any lifer's give me some insight on some things such as:

1.) Lincoln or Omaha?
2.) Cost of Housing?
3.) Taxes
4.) School System
5.) Medical Care Facilities (how advanced); state-of-the art? . . . I'm not insinuating that they aren't up-to-date, but when you move from an area with the Cleveland Clinic, other systems look shy. I have a daughter that has a medical condition.
6.) Job Market (in general)

Weather is about the only thing that has deterred me. I have cold / snow now . . . that was the only reason to move south.

I've been on the government's site . . no offense . . . sometimes it's better to hear from actual Nebraskan's than a gov. Website full of stats.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonempty View Post
1.) Lincoln or Omaha?
2.) Cost of Housing?
3.) Taxes
4.) School System
5.) Medical Care Facilities (how advanced); state-of-the art? . . . I'm not insinuating that they aren't up-to-date, but when you move from an area with the Cleveland Clinic, other systems look shy. I have a daughter that has a medical condition.
6.) Job Market (in general)
1) Omaha is the larger of the two. Omaha is generally more conversvative than Lincoln as Lincoln has the major University. Really both great towns.

2) Cost of Living is very affordable, consistently ranks high when you look at all components. There has been a link to a website floating around the Nebraska forum that compares Nebraska to any other city/state. If I can find it I'll repost it for you.

3) Taxes as a standalone component will seem high, especially property tax. You must put it back into perspective with the total cost of living and the house you can get here compared to what you get elsewhere. This topic will spark a lot of conversation - so refer back to #2.

4) School systems are also a big topic of conversation - bigger better than smaller vs smaller being better. Most school systems in Nebraska are very good and in the Omaha/Lincoln metro areas you have a lot of choices - generally good choices.

5) Medical is EXCELLENT. Major hospitals, including research. There are many procedures that you are in no better place in the nation (e.g. many transplants).

6) Job Market is very good, even in light of threatened recession. Omaha has many many major employers and its a diverse group (technology, finance, insurance, education, etc). Again, this is a topic that had some recent discussion on the forum so I'll try to uncover that link as well.

Just outside of Omaha is Papillion which was named the 6th Best Place in the Nation to Live by CNN/Money Magazine in 2007.

Read through this recent discussion for a great perspective on some of the above: "Looking to move to Nebraska"

Old 02-12-2008, 07:36 PM

35 posts, read 106,686 times
Do you know when you're in a small town in Nebraska? You dial the wrong number and still talk for 15 minutes!!! It's true, my Dad used to do it all the time! He'd call somebody up and say "Oh, I didn't mean to call you, but since I have you on the line....blah blah blah...."

Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
That, and when someone gives you their phone number, they just give the last 4 digits.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:45 PM

35 posts, read 106,686 times
Yep, I forgot about that last four number thing....thanks for the memories! Our kids carrying around cell phones probably would think those last four numbers are the "direct dial numbers" from the contact list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska