Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
While we are no utopia in outstate Nebraska (otherwise we would have quite the population) we are proud, which is why some become so defensive when looked down upon. Call us rednecks if you want, farmers and ranchers necks are red from the hard work out in the sun to put food on the table for many, this is our biggest business. It may not be sexy or be on any fortune 500 list, but is vitally important and someone has to do it. We have other business' too Chief out of Grand Island, the Buckle is based in Kearney, Cabela's in Sidney, UP has a large presence in North Platte, BNSF is large in Alliance and others. Our schools are very good, the teacher pay is low, but so is cost of living. While most see outstate Nebraska as flat plain, we have good scenery with the Sandhills, Pine Ridge, lakes and canyons. We have low crime rates and people tend to take care of each other. My grandmother is almost 90 and has macular degeneration. Yet she still lives alone on a small ranch in the Sandhills. While my family will go get her for appointments and things, we really our her neighbors to help her most days and her neighbors wouldn't have it any other way. She has a long driveway and the mailman will personally bring mail to her door, to check on her and visit awhile. The county maintainer always takes care of her driveway, doesn't have too but does because he know she can't do it. When my grandfather passed, we didn't have to cook for weeks because of all the food people would bring over. It is not for all, you won't find mountains, oceans or big city excitment. Alot of young people leave and we are losing population, that is a fact. It is not the most exciting place in the world. However, it is a special place in its own right and deserves to be defended.

and I do not think that your experiences with your grandmother are unusual in Nebraska. The people make a huge difference and for the most part are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ok lets see what this "redneck state" is like

2) we have the number one zoo in the country in omaha

4) some people like the sun

5)... we have the most unique capitol building to be proud of ...

8) we have some of the highest standards nation wide for education.

9) and oh ya we are proud of our football team and we sort of like LSU now too
2) I have often heard people say that the Henry Doorly Zoo is the #1 zoo in the country and am curious as to where specifically that comes from. I know that at various times it has been ranked #1 by one magazine or another, but then of course other magazines/other sources rank other zoos (National Zoo, San Diego Zoo, etc.) higher. I am not saying that it's anything other than a wonderful zoo because I truly do enjoy it and have had the opportunity to compare it to multiple zoos across the country from various family vacations - I have just wondered if there is one place that people are getting the information that it is the #1 zoo. And if it is #1 in attendance, in variety of animals, in ... ?

4) This one made me chuckle. In my years in Omaha, I did not really think of it as a place where one could boast about the sun. Especially this December, January, February as I talked to people back in Nebraska and heard the high was only going to be 6... and I had to sadly reply that our high was only going to be 76. I guess it would make me feel better to compare the few true months of sun in Nebraska to the climate in Washington, too.

5) Okay, I'll admit that I have not been to the capitol building in NE since I was very young. What makes it more unique than any other capitol building throughout the entire country? I might need to make a detour next time I am back in Omaha if the capitol building is compelling enough.

8) Are educational standards throughout the state consistent? How is it measured to ensure the consistency? Many other states have tests that verify students meet the statewide standards - I'm not saying I agree with these tests, but they do exist, so am wondering how the standards statewide in NE are upheld?
I know someone else mentioned the low teacher pay and of course they were almost immediately rebuffed with the ubiquitous response here that "It's okay that teacher pay is low because the cost of living is low" - while this is true to some extent, the cost of living is comparably low in other cities throughout the nation, yet some of those cities have much higher teacher pay.

9) I think the problem some people have with many Nebraskans' love of football is the "OUR football team" idea. In many other states, there are college teams at the same level as the Huskers as well as professional football teams, so the devotion to a specific football team is split among many available choices. That makes it hard for some people to understand the love so many have for the Huskers.

Having said all of this, I don't know how one could truly answer a request to "tell me about Nebraskans" - as with any other state, Nebraskans are varied. I can't pinpoint a specific characteristic that pertains to every single Nebraskan any more than I can find one that pertains to every single Californian, New Yorker, German, etc. Many Nebraskans are hard-working, kind to strangers, friendly to neighbors, and accepting of all types of people. Some Nebraskans are set in their ways, hold strong to a particular stance without personal knowledge/experience of anything outside of their purview... Some don't shovel/snowblow their sidewalks after it snows. But would I say that all Nebraskans don't clear their sidewalk? Of course not. I wouldn't say it is a state full of rednecks, either.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:47 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
The capital building is in Lincoln not Omaha. It is a wonderful building though.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
The capital building is in Lincoln not Omaha. It is a wonderful building though.
Great pictures, thanks... its just a wonderful inside... have only been in it a couple of times, but each time made sure I just wandered around for awhile.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:44 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
Oops - my post was unclear - I know it's in Lincoln. I just meant that we go back to Omaha often to visit family and Lincoln isn't that far out of the way, so if it was a "need to see," we would try to fit it in. Thanks for the pics.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 18,457 times
I agree with the trip to the capital being a great idea. I enjoy the echos and sound transfer in the arched areas inside. The mosaics and art in all the fixtures are great as well. A great FREE place to visit and spend some time finding out about Nebraska history.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I have never been to Nebraska, but I'll keep an open mind.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
A lot of good posts, I've learned a lot

Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 PM

21 posts, read 91,088 times
Still searching for a less stressful way of life:

Nebraska or North Dakota. Is there a place closer to mountains but with good people as you speak of?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlynn3 View Post
Still searching for a less stressful way of life:

Nebraska or North Dakota. Is there a place closer to mountains but with good people as you speak of?
Nebraska is very close the the mountains if you look at the Panhandle... its a beautiful part of the state. Scottsbluff on the south side and Chadron on the north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska