Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 64,187 times

Advertisements

We've done some checking and it seems that real estate has dropped so much in Pahrump that we are considering retirement there.
It seems there may be a water table problem and that soil is expansive in some areas. This would be a problem if the foundations are not prepared properlly.The town seems large enough. Home Depot, Walmart etc. What about wind?? Is the tax assessor re assessing or lowering property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 AM

207 posts, read 734,042 times
My property taxes have not gone down.. but they are pretty darn low to start with and we have a very nice home out here. Around $1300 a year.

The water issue is only in certain areas of town. Its not like every home in Pahrump is sinking.. and for the most part, it was one or 2 houses that had foundation damage from the whole thing.

As long as you ask your Realtor about the issue it should not even be a problem.

It can be windy out here. We have had some seriously good winds but nothing that will cause major damage.. think 20 to 30 miles an hour during monsoon season and some rain from time to time.

Prices out here right now are great for buyers.. I am amazed at how low some of them are. Our home lost some value.. but not really a big issue since we got it in 2003 and we plan on living here forever. Also we didnt go nuts and take out huge equity lines.. so its not really a big deal.

On the property tax thing.. I am not sure how to go about it.. but there are ways to "protest" your assessment, a few friends of mine have done it and got it lowered some. I just figured ours was so cheap.. I never really worried about it. Its also only assessed on the land value and not the home on it

Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 64,187 times
Thanks Chinga, trying to plan a trip out there. Looking at 1 acre lots away from the areas that you mentioned have problems. Looks like the tax is based on the selling price of the home. $300k=$3ktaxes

Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
I hope your visit goes well out here! I've been out here for about a month now (from Las Vegas) and absolutely love it! Can't say too much about properties and such because I'm renting (just got out of school and don't want to go into more debt with a house), but from what I hear, now is a really good time to buy here. Never had a problem with the wind so far, but then--it's only been a month. Love the breathing room and cool-off at night that I have not experienced much in Las Vegas. I'm at a job now where I live here part-time and travel back to lv on days off, and most times I'm really looking forward to coming back to pahrump (like now, I'm leaving to go back to lv soon, and I'd actually rather stay here).

Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 56,996 times
Default soil

You will definitely want to check in to the soil, particularly with regards to your septic system, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Here's an article from 2006 that explains what was going on back then (which is probably the story that alerted you to it in the first place):

Home design: Lawsuits buzz like flies over septic systems - Home Design - Interior Design | Architecture | Furniture

As far as the town being large enough, that's sort of true. Be warned that there is NO movie theater here, so if you like to enjoy a film now and again, get a NetFlix subscription or be prepared to drive the hour-and-a-half to Vegas (3 hours roundtrip unless you're a leadfoot).

Wind is bad, though. It's not dangerous or damaging, but it is pretty miserable to be outside in, and everything outdoors gets covered in dust.

Otherwise, though, I have looked all over California, Arizona and several other places to find a better location to live, and I still decide to stay here in Pahrump. It's weird, because there's really nothing particularly special about this town, but its just home, I guess. It's better if you're retired, of course, since there are really no jobs here. Thing is, there really aren't any jobs anywhere else, either, just higher costs of living and more crime.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 54,516 times
Near Las Vegas kind of isolated but Vehicles require not smog/emissions tests for some reason.
You can get some cheap home rentals-Heidi Fliess has a laundry mat there

Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 20,086 times
Contact a real estate agent. If you aren't comfortable talking to them on the phone, contact another one. I found a wonderful RE agent and she is helping us locate our retirement destination (home). Property taxes are not on land value alone. We were told that fencing (and type) as well as any cement (patio, driveway, etc. and a well house larger than 12x12 (I think) would be taxed. The square footage and improvements in the home are also values used to determine the tax. The assessor's website has lots of information. Good luck with your search. We have visited Pahrump several times over the past 5 years and also looked at Arizona and Texas. Loved Texas but too far from our adult children and grandchildren. Hope to be a resident in Pahrump by next Spring!!

Old 09-25-2010, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 15,870 times
is there any jobs in the medical field in pahrump?? hospitals? and how far from lasvegas? is there a rv park? for temporary until a permanent move?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc12345 View Post
is there any jobs in the medical field in pahrump?? hospitals? and how far from lasvegas? is there a rv park? for temporary until a permanent move?
The local hospital is Desert View Regional Medical Center. I have no idea on the job situation. I'm assuming pretty bleak.

Pahrump is about 60 miles from Las Vegas, center of town to center of town. Plan on a little bit over an hour driving time.

Lots of RV parks in Pahrump. Probably more RV parks in Pahrump than you'll see in any other town of comparable size.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 15,606 times
My Uncle Bud Corbin was the original owner of much of pahrump - many of the streets are named after people in our family --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada