Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times

Advertisements

Ahh, yes I guess things have changed. I remember paying around 15 or 20 bucks and they did "their own" inspection of the car. As long as all your lights and wipers worked they usually passed you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Ahh, yes I guess things have changed. I remember paying around 15 or 20 bucks and they did "their own" inspection of the car. As long as all your lights and wipers worked they usually passed you.
15/20 must have been in mid 80's or a little later. I recall 50 cents still I was too young thenm to drive of course.

Once inspectors had some leeway, and i was one once.... but that day is long gone so far as i can tell...

Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,136,895 times
It's still $29 at Speedy Lube and $25. at Midas.

I made the mistake once of using VIP because they had a $5 special on all inspections including emissions. I purchased 4 new tires THERE and scheduled the inspection at the same time. The bozo that did the inspection failed the car (which is reported to the state) because HE DID NOT PUT THE NEW TIRES ON FIRST. He called to tell me it failed because of the tires. I ripped him a new one - "I just paid $800 for new tires and they FAILED inspection!"

oh....sorry...my bad....

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
15/20 must have been in mid 80's or a little later. I recall 50 cents still I was too young thenm to drive of course.

Once inspectors had some leeway, and i was one once.... but that day is long gone so far as i can tell...

Ahh... the memories
Back in the 80's, before the interface-connection method, and they used the wand that they put in the tailpipe.... it was $7 in MA... though it was another $10 to buy the inspector lunch, as it took me 20 minutes to de-tune the engine enough to pass emissions... thing would barely idle, and couldn't put in gear until after testing was complete and then I 'restored' the carburetors and re-adjusted the timing. For the really radical ones I brought in, they just wanted to gawk at them, and couldn't care less (other than lights, turn signals, horn, tires, etc).
At least in MA it was way more than 'leeway', as all they wanted was the money, and to make sure the car wasn't dangerous to drive.
You are right.... those days are long gone. The good news is that they only had to pass emissions based upon the year they were originally built.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
It's still $29 at Speedy Lube and $25. at Midas.

I made the mistake once of using VIP because they had a $5 special on all inspections including emissions. I purchased 4 new tires THERE and scheduled the inspection at the same time. The bozo that did the inspection failed the car (which is reported to the state) because HE DID NOT PUT THE NEW TIRES ON FIRST. He called to tell me it failed because of the tires. I ripped him a new one - "I just paid $800 for new tires and they FAILED inspection!"

oh....sorry...my bad....
That's funny so long as I am not YOU!

I failed one car i think in the time i was an inspector. i had left the sticker (old one) in place so the owner could choose how to deal with his cracked windshield, which was a heat craqck from pillar to pillar.

When he came in to get the car, and asked how things went i told him what the problem was, and then he accused me of breaking the glass because he was a state cop!

I told him I had no idea he was a cop and his windshield came in that way and since he was a cop he should have known better! At that point i took the scraper and went after that old sticker leaving him with a white and red REJECTED, and informed the state!

I never heard of or saw him again, but if i had i would have refused doing any work, and i did that maybe all of 6 times to people who abused me or the shop.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
I called one of my our local garages and asked what an inspection costs (we were thinking at the time we had to register DH's car early). He said $40-45. Then he said I could find places for around $15 if I went in town (Rt 101), but they tend to charge less and 'look' for things they can charge you to fix that don't need it - and that can add up a lot.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Never ever take a car in for inspection that won't pass. If you must take the car in to another place or to the place and tell them to fix what ever inspection needs, but wait for the inspection for another day....

If you use the same shop for everything things would be different, but if you have no idea who the shop is or who the techs are then your doomed if you just ask, and don't know if the vehical will pass.

As a x tech shop keep and etc for customes i knew things went well because i knew the car too, and for strangers with strange cars to me, I had no choice but to go over every detail.

Once in Mass working this same way i made some DOT flunky all upset when he thought I was taking too long and I was just making sure he rust bucket had brakes, since the bench seat fell over backwards when i drove the car in.

Seats need not be bolted to the floor in Mass, so that part was ok.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Rust on vehicle?

Best to do a Go*gle search subject: Carl Drega NH

Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 AM

6 posts, read 33,050 times
Default NH auto inspection questions

Hey all, I have 2 questions regarding getting inspection stickers in NH
1) I have a 1994 Buick Roagmaster that intermnittently has the airbag light on steady. Maybe half the time when I start it, the light will flash 7 times then stay on solid, half the time flash 7 times then go out. As I understand it when it is on solid the airbag is not functional, which I am not so concerned about. I am do for a sticker in Feb 2014, and just want to know if I will need to fix this or not. Also if they will not pass it, would I get by simply removing the bulb?? May sound cheesy, but I've been looking for work for 2 years and to say money is tight is an understatement!!

2) My wifes car is a 2000 GMC Jimmy and the backup lighys do not turn on, and I did check the bulbs and fuse, they are good, It appears that the switch is in the console which is a PITA to get at. Functionally I do not care, but her stickler is due in November so I need to know what I am up against. I looked at the website that detailed sticker requirements and it only said "[SIZE=3] The back-up light system does not turn off automatically when the vehicle is moved forward, if the light system is designed to turn off and if the vehicle is so equipped[/SIZE] " Below is where I found this info
Saf-C 3200

So any info on these issues would be appreciated!!

Thanx
PEACE
DOC

Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doccuke View Post
Hey all, I have 2 questions regarding getting inspection stickers in NH
1) I have a 1994 Buick Roagmaster that intermnittently has the airbag light on steady. Maybe half the time when I start it, the light will flash 7 times then stay on solid, half the time flash 7 times then go out. As I understand it when it is on solid the airbag is not functional, which I am not so concerned about. I am do for a sticker in Feb 2014, and just want to know if I will need to fix this or not. Also if they will not pass it, would I get by simply removing the bulb?? May sound cheesy, but I've been looking for work for 2 years and to say money is tight is an understatement!!
This is what the shop stated to me on my 1992.
My airbag light was flashing.
Could be very expensive to repair.
All pre OBDII vehicle only get a mechanical inspection only. No hookup to computer.
The airbag flashing light makes no difference.
My 1992 was first generation airbag. Not hooked up to any car computer.
My 1992 passed every year. No rust and no mechanical issues.

Not sure if rules have changed in the last few years. But easy enough to ask any inspection shop before any inspection - for your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire