Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM

69 posts, read 184,128 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My partner and I are making serious plans to move to the lakes region in 2011. We currently live in NJ and have a Civil Union. We are concerned about the possibility of losing some of our legal rights if we move to NH and gay marriage is repealed. (Imagine moving to state and you could no longer be husband and wife).

My question to this forum is... how likely do you think it will be that gay marriage is repealed? If it is repealed, do you think NH will have civil unions instead?

We LOVE the lakes region and really want to get involved in the community up there. We want to volunteer, learn, and make a positive contribution. We don't care if people are straight or gay, we just hope we are welcome.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,346 times
I don't think it will be. Realistically I feel the majority of NH residents believe that what relationships two consenting adults enter into with eachother is no-one elses business. You'll probably have some folks on here jump in and disagree; but that doesn't seem to be the majority.

On a personal note I believe all states should recognize "civil unions" (for straight & gay couples) as the legal agreement to share resources between two consenting individuals, etc. I believe "marriage" should be the term for the personal and/or religious aspect of it and that should be between the persons and/or their faith- and not a legislated matter.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
We don't care if people are straight or gay
This is how I feel and I think the majority of the state feels the same way.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 PM

263 posts, read 859,224 times
I like what you had to say BF... "On a personal note I believe all states should recognize "civil unions" (for straight & gay couples) as the legal agreement to share resources between two consenting individuals, etc. I believe "marriage" should be the term for the personal and/or religious aspect of it and that should be between the persons and/or their faith- and not a legislated matter."

Makes perfect sense to me! It's too bad there are people who think there's one way ONLY to look at something. I'd never thought of things the way you put it, but I think it sounds perfectly logical and would cause so much less animosity amongst different groups of people! : ) Kudos to you.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
This is how I feel and I think the majority of the state feels the same way.

I think so too.

Once i worked for a gay female, and her friends taunted me all the time in good simple fun. It wasn't any problem, while i am as straight as a an arrow.

I go to a gay bone crusher when my back is bad enough I can't stand it. That idea doesn't bother me any.

It's when ideas get stuffed in our faces bad things happen.

NH is a calm quiet place and a straight couple will be told to not be overt in public, if they are. A straight couple would be frowned on in NH making out in public. So will you if you choose that.

I say so just so you know ahead of time, I am not saying I think you are this way.

I know other people that are gay that i will buy from, ask advice of, and etc. In time I learn they are gay, it isn't the first thing I learn.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 PM

477 posts, read 899,754 times
I don't think it will be repealed, to be honest. I think there may be an attempt but I just can't see it happening. I could be wrong, though.

I will say this, I didn't vote for (and be giddy with happiness over) the upcoming super majority so they can tackle social issues. Get our finances in order, pass the Castle Doctrine law, get our finances in order, etc. Sense a theme?

I guess I have the same view as BF and I can tell you that this has changed over the years as I have come around to a more hardline (heartless ) Libertarian attitude.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
I think it is unlikely and I hope the republicans do not attempt it. They need to stick to cutting spending, lowering taxes and fees and stay the heck out of our personal lives. They also need to strengthen the rights of gun owners. Most of us in NH like to have the government out of our wallets and our personal lives. The democrats raided our wallets for the past 4 years and got kicked out. If the republicans try to interfere with our personal lives, they will be shown the door in another two years.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Reduction of taxes and the Castle Doctrin should keep the replublicans busy. Nicely done nicolem.

I think the laws on the wildwoodsland weed need to go away too, but I have no real interest in it as i don't smoke that stuff.

My reasoning is more in line with a weed that takes little effort to grow and adds nitrogen to the soil, and can be made into 1,001 other things, and the state should deal with that for bio-fuel to make electricty.

That should be what the state does and get out of my house, and wallet.

I don't really think NH has a problem with gays.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
I'm in agreement. Keep the .gov out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,549 times
Keep in mind the NH motto is "Live Free or Die," New Englanders more often than not, believe what you do in your private life is your business, as long as no one is getting hurt or exploited.

Most of the people who try to stir up tension regarding same sex marriage are from other parts of the country and seem to like the idea of perpetuating myths, stereotypes and other lies to forward their agenda. New England is probably the only place in the country where the religious right has difficulty obtaining any kind of foothold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire