U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Newburyport, MA
4,179 posts, read 1,927,104 times
Reputation: 5292

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Why do you think you can purchase multi-family homes for $60k & $70k.

Go a little south & look at Littleton, a major improvement IMO.
Yep, price reflects demand. You don't need to therefore go for the most expensive town in the state, but the cheapest town in the state is one that few people want to buy in - that's kind of a red flag.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM
 
Location: IN
22,231 posts, read 38,786,499 times
Reputation: 14809
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yep, price reflects demand. You don't need to therefore go for the most expensive town in the state, but the cheapest town in the state is one that few people want to buy in - that's kind of a red flag.
Tax rate precludes investment in places like Berlin as well. If you want to live in a more rural area near Berlin there are some nice villages to choose from, however. Those would be Randolph, Shelburne, and Jefferson. Gorham has the same issues as Berlin, and Milan is not that great.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Remsenburg, New York
11 posts, read 6,422 times
Reputation: 10
Having just registered on here today because I am thinking about moving up to either the Plattsburg area, northern Vermont or northern New Hampshire later this year I have to say this was one long thread...covering some 7 years. For me, not being a frontiersman, it raises numerous questions which were never quite answered by anyone.

1. What specifically is it that the mills produced that is so toxic to the land and water?

2. Has "it" ever been analyzed in a laboratory?

3. Besides being a town without any jobs (if you are retiring or work from the internet who cares about jobs anyway) and the school district not being the greatest, it sounds the the area is apparently in a beautiful location, not too populated, spread out and full of nature. Is the drug problem still really that bad in Vermont and New Hampshire?

Just a few general questions...How far is Montreal, Burlington and St Albans? Are the northern parts of New York, Vermont and New Hampshire essentially the same?

Thanks in advance for any responses
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 AM
KCZ
 
2,762 posts, read 1,583,693 times
Reputation: 7515
The paper mills discharged, and are apparently still draining, mercury as well as other pollutants into the Androscoggin, both in northern NH and central Maine. Google Androscoggin and Clean Water Act.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androscoggin_River

Be aware that many smaller towns throughout northern New England have less than reliable internet service to many homes. This thread already discusses high-tax towns.

I’ve lived in the northern parts of all three states, and no, they are not the same, unless you're comparing them to Tahiti or something.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 06:20 AM
 
Location: New England
335 posts, read 251,922 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlegaleagle View Post
Having just registered on here today because I am thinking about moving up to either the Plattsburg area, northern Vermont or northern New Hampshire later this year I have to say this was one long thread...covering some 7 years. For me, not being a frontiersman, it raises numerous questions which were never quite answered by anyone.

1. What specifically is it that the mills produced that is so toxic to the land and water?

2. Has "it" ever been analyzed in a laboratory?

3. Besides being a town without any jobs (if you are retiring or work from the internet who cares about jobs anyway) and the school district not being the greatest, it sounds the the area is apparently in a beautiful location, not too populated, spread out and full of nature. Is the drug problem still really that bad in Vermont and New Hampshire?

Just a few general questions...How far is Montreal, Burlington and St Albans? Are the northern parts of New York, Vermont and New Hampshire essentially the same?

Thanks in advance for any responses
We have a friend who works out of the EPA field office MA, they regularly visit the mill sites in Berlin to do testing. Yes it's still toxic, but the river is improving as sediment thickens on the river bottom.
I live in the Lancaster, NH area and find the area is filled with good communities, my wife works part time in Berlin and they have lots of hard luck people in that town. I don't see much in the way of a drug problem here, but I know it's around from talking to friends in emergency services. All areas of the USA have drug issues, some places just don't want to discuss it. We came from an affluent part of southern NH, we had drug problems and people of financial assistance, but it was only whispered about as they didn't want to spook the newcomers. I can't speak for northern NY except to say like northern VT it's more rural than northern NH as far as access to larger grocery stores and shopping, just my opinion of course. They all have their pluses and minuses. I would probably spend a few weeks traveling about before settling in anyone area. Way the cost of living based on your income, then rent before actually buying a place. You may find some towns it's hard to sell once you own if things don't go as you see fit. We did extensive research on various towns before buying and have lived in rural NH for 36 years.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2019, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Newburyport, MA
4,179 posts, read 1,927,104 times
Reputation: 5292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlegaleagle View Post
:
:
Just a few general questions...How far is Montreal, Burlington and St Albans? Are the northern parts of New York, Vermont and New Hampshire essentially the same?

Thanks in advance for any responses
If you imagine that you may want to visit Burlington, St Albans and Montreal regularly, I am a little puzzled as to why are you considering Berlin, NH as a home base? Those cities are quite different in nature, and they're not a convenient drive from Berlin - you can drive back and forth in one day if you need to, but it's going to be a long day.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Remsenburg, New York
11 posts, read 6,422 times
Reputation: 10
I think I have decided it is between Plattsburg area and Vermont...was thinking about NH but they have annual "personal property" taxes on vehicles and RV (in addition of land property taxes) which is to me over the top insane but I guess they have to get their tax money from somewhere but it isn't going to be me...lol

Being from eastern Long Island I don't know much about Plattsburg (been to Lake George) or Vermont (never been) and was hoping to get some information from those who live there and perhaps some advice as to what towns, counties to look at.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 09:26 PM
 
Location: WMHT
3,945 posts, read 3,979,427 times
Reputation: 5368
Post NH and VT "total cost of ownership" for 5 years of car costs averages out to be pretty similar.

By most estimates, NH and VT "total cost of ownership" for 5 years averages out as a wash

Annual renewal in NH might be around double the $76/year renewal fee in Vermont, but don't forget CT will hit you up for ~6% of vehicle value when you change your title over.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Newburyport, MA
4,179 posts, read 1,927,104 times
Reputation: 5292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlegaleagle View Post
I think I have decided it is between Plattsburg area and Vermont...was thinking about NH but they have annual "personal property" taxes on vehicles and RV (in addition of land property taxes) which is to me over the top insane but I guess they have to get their tax money from somewhere but it isn't going to be me...lol

Being from eastern Long Island I don't know much about Plattsburg (been to Lake George) or Vermont (never been) and was hoping to get some information from those who live there and perhaps some advice as to what towns, counties to look at.
I can make a few comments anyways...

VT is a beautiful state also and Burlington is the biggest city (still not very big). It's a nice city and right on the Lake Champlain, and when you look to the west, you're looking at the profile of the Adirondack Mtns just past the western shore of the lake, very pretty. Univ of VT is in Burlington and is a well respected college with a medical school, so you should be able to get solid medical care there. I have a friend from school who grew up in Rumney, NH (small town in upstate NH) and he has been living in Shelburne, VT for more than 20 years, he loves it. I think that area would be a great place to live if you don't mind cold winters. The Champlain Valley has a lot of beautiful farms, and the picturesque Green Mtns are just to the east.

I never stopped in Plattsburgh but I have been to the Adirondacks a lot backpacking in my younger days. The northern Adirondacks are a LOT quieter than Lake George. Very pretty nature in that area - thick forests, beautiful lakes and rugged mountains. Many of the towns struggle economically throughout the region. A weak economy should provide cheap housing but can bring social ills - I lived in upstate NY myself for 5 years. There is a SUNY Plattsburgh regional campus which should add some life to the town.

Can't speak to the details of taxes, but Google is your friend.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-01-2019 at 07:30 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2019, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Remsenburg, New York
11 posts, read 6,422 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the feedback and you are right there is nothing like going up there to see for myself and staying a while perhaps at a Air B&B to get a better feel. Any additional comments on the North Country in NY or around the Burlington area in Vermont would still be appreciated
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top