Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM

278 posts, read 1,063,791 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on good, authentic Mexican Food...doesn't need to be a fancy place, just delicious food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,361 times
Well, not sure what's good, but I wasn't too impressed with Poco's in Portsmouth, unless maybe I was just there on a bad night.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
I've never found anything good on the seacoast. After living out west, New England can't compare when it comes to Mexican food. Seafood, that's another story....

Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 15,980 times
Best we have found is Ixtapa at the Newington Mall...

Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times
There's not a lot of authentic Mexican food in New Hampshire. There's Margarita's, but of course it doesn't seem to matter what you order there... it all looks the same. Some like Las Olas Taqueria in Exeter (and apparently now in Hampton) but others have complained about it.

You might want to look in Manchester... Consuelo's Taqueria on Amherst, just off Elm Street, is supposed to be quite authentic, according to a coworker of mine who is of Mexican descent. My husband lived in rural Mexico for a year quite a long time ago, and was fed all homemade food (often from home-raised livestock) and I keep meaning to go there with him to see what he thinks of it.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Maybe Conway? Cafe' Notcha...... I like their foods and I really like their atmosphere.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Carreta's in the Victory Mall in Derry on Rt 28 is pretty good. It has a real agave and all. However it is not as good as almost any bar in New Mexico. I do miss the green chilli.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,572 times
The Crazy Gringo
Lakes Region.. like it's original predecessor Nothing Fancy. We like the enchiladas and the soft corn tacos here. Understand that in the winter it is a snowmobilers hang out and come spring it is a biker hang out. Margaritas are strong

Restaurant Lounge & Tequila Bar | Hermanos Cocina Mexicana A tad higher priced then average but lots of variety. Unfortunately you won't get anything other the cayenne pepper for hea, but do save room for the chocolate cake that as spiked with it.

Pochito's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina - (603) 232-3054 - Manchester NH

A new player in Manchester, initial visits have been ok, and they have enough of a menu to go back and play some more. Their squeeze however is too sweet.

La Carreta Mexican Restaurant Absolutely the best margaritas you will get anywhere. I love their chilli and I usually order the steak burrito grande here, excellent chips and salsa here. Service can be hit or miss however, I have had many a good waiter, but every now and then a robot comes out of nowhere.

Margaritas Mexican Restaurant California type mex, not as innovative as Tio Juans which is the company that became Margaritas. Salsa is too vinegary. Don't think it is too authentic but usually you will walk away filled, happy and not too light in the wallet

Now the shining star of NH Mexican, at least as far as I am concerned

Consuelo's Taqueria Restaurant

Always, always, ALWAYS good food, prepared for you largely by the owner. A extremely hard working man who not only serves up delicious fresh food every time, but when his contractors screwed him over he fired them and finished the work required to open his business, working nights and weekends after his regular job. The only thing I think that would be more authentic, fresh and consistently good then Consuelos would be Tacos Nayarit which is a a taco truck that can be found in the center city of ManchesterI don't mean to bash but I would put one place that I know of on the "DON'T GO THERE list".
This would be Nachos in Lincoln.. food..eh, attitude however is even worse.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I've never found anything good on the seacoast. After living out west, New England can't compare when it comes to Mexican food.
That's for sure!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,208 times
There is a place in Kittery, ME that is supposed to be pretty good -- the name escapes me but if you google it or look on chowhound dot com you will find it easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire