Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:08 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband and I would like to take horse riding lessons as adults this summer, neither of us have any horse experience, but it is as goal of ours. We live in Lee, NH. I was wondering if anyone here might know of a person or stable in the the Lee/Durham/Dover/Madbury or surounding area that offers adults lessons with a flexible schedule? (we work weekdays). I have tried to search online, but my gut is telling me most of these lessons aren't necessarily posted on the internet, but rather by word of mouth, or just known to people who are "in the know" when it comes to the local horse community. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!

Whoever I take lessons from will have the joy of watching me attempt to mount a horse, as I can barely get on a merry-go-round horse at Canobie Lake Park, hahaha . I would consent to being video taped so the instructor could win a million dollars on America's Funniest Home Videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Just go to any place you see with horses and ask them for who.

If getting on a hobby horse is a probem, I mean really a problem, you need to work out before you try getting on a real horse. Spending time, like hands on with horse might be a good idea.

Horses are like dogs and can tell a full blown fool when one comes. I am not sayin you are any fool, but that if you are, the horse will know it and try to hurt you, or atleast get rid of you.

I used to do trail rides and lots of people having no bee's wax around horses ended up in the dirt real fast.

Horses are funny sometimes. You can find an old sway back nag, that will straighten right up and run hard. I found that out the hard way.

I moved onto a ranch in Fla, and in the wee hours with not enough rest the work crew came, woke me up, I greated them in jeans only rubbing the sleep from my eyes. A couple big boys grabbed me up and slambed me down on a old sway back nag. I thought that horse would keel over dead by the look of it.

Someone swatted it's rump, and off we went..... Bare back, and just a little ahead I saw the glint of water. I reigned in, and got zip. I was afraid of the water, since I hadn't seen it in day light, and gators were everywhere.

That horse refused to stop, so I gathered up the reigns, and pulled his head up and smacked him on the fore head! Oh did he stop then! I shot like an arrow over his head, taking the reigns with me, and plopped on green orange goo.

Then I was awake! I mounted that nag indian style, turned it back, and galloped into the growing laughing crowd, that quit laffin when I go back on.

When I got there, I just stepped off and let that horse keep 'a goin.

I said Good Night Folks and went to shower and go back to bed.

Some Horses.........

Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
If you can't reach the stirrup to get up into the saddle, ask about a mounting block. many people use a bucket, a block, a couple of steps... various (sturdy) things to help them reach. Mac- if the stirrup is up at chest level, all the working out in the world ain't gonna make a difference!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
the Winged Spur ranch in Candia is a great place to start. You won't be alone...there are lots of adults learning.

It's not the Dover area, but it's less than an hour away.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:35 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Try www.caterstables.com

Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
oh yea - forgot about them...they are located in Dunbarton which is even further away than Candia.

there is Garland Stables in Rye. That might be a good choice as they have huge indoor rings (great for winter).

Green Acres in Madbury is another suggestion. High Meadows Farms in Wolfeboro specializes in first time riders. Sea Star Stables in Brentwood...

There are quite a few stables in Londonderry, but can't think of their names right off hand, except for the Lucky 7.

Whishmaker Stables in Rollinsford

Any of these trainers will be able to put you on the right track for lessons.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
If you can't reach the stirrup to get up into the saddle, ask about a mounting block. many people use a bucket, a block, a couple of steps... various (sturdy) things to help them reach. Mac- if the stirrup is up at chest level, all the working out in the world ain't gonna make a difference!

Yes it will. If you work out enough you can fly

I stand 5' 10" and can indian mount a any horse standing 16.5 hands. I know how to fly

In practice i used to be able to pick up a coke bottle on the ground with no saddle.

To give you an idea how hard that is to do, well it's like giving birth to a full grown horse..

I think I am too old to be able to ever do that, no matter what anymore.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yes it will. If you work out enough you can fly

I stand 5' 10" and can indian mount a any horse standing 16.5 hands. I know how to fly

In practice i used to be able to pick up a coke bottle on the ground with no saddle.

To give you an idea how hard that is to do, well it's like giving birth to a full grown horse..

I think I am too old to be able to ever do that, no matter what anymore.

Mac a 16.5 horse does not exist that would be a 17.1 hand horse....

Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
Lol, my main concern was horse size as the horses I have been around have been huge and the stirrup always seems to be hanging right in front of my chest. The mounting block is a great idea, I am not much more than five feet, and how people get onto these beautiful animals is a mystery to me!
Thanks for the stable recomendations

Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 AM

If there is a 17.5 hands high horse, how can there be no 16.5 hands horses? That don't make any sence to me.

Once I could get on a Belgian with no steeping stones or saddles. But it's been a while since I could fly that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire