Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times

Advertisements

Seriously lack of daylight? It gets light out much earlier in NH - I couldn't believe it when I moved here and it was like it's 7am and it's still DARK! In NH it can be light out before 6am - and it's dark on Dec 21st by about 5 or shortly after - but you go out and do things in the dark (aka drive, visit, go to movies etc) - still can do that in NH. Many night skiing as well, and the beaches are still pretty busy after dark! (Edit: Oops maybe you think the weather is so dreary to make it "dark" - dreary is not dark and you still learn to adapt. The tstorms and heat in the summer and the ice in the winter - make me more homebound here in NC than I ever was in NH. Sorry if I misintrepreted your daylight )....and yes the box stores and entitlement state is a definite drawback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaap24 View Post
I have lived in NC most of my life and love it here. The urban areas like Raleigh and Charlotte have lots to do, moderate traffic, and lots of yuppie transplants. The rural areas are not nearly as charming or livable as NH small towns, especially if you have children in school and other activites. The heat is oppressive in the summer, especially August. The winters are fantastic. The Raleigh area I find beautiful (cookie cutter neighborhoods are a problem), and offers incredible amenities in terms of sporting, cultural, entertainment events and excellent health care and higher education institutions, which adds to the vibrancy and diversity of the area.

That being said, we are moving to NH at the end of the summer and are excited to enjoy the great things your state has to offer. We are somewhat concerned with the winter (not so much the cold, but the lack of daylight) and despite a lot of research, we know we will encounter "unknown unknowns" (unpleasant or pleasant surprises). In the end, we have made this decision with a lot of thought and feel like we are leaving behind a place we know we love for a place we think we may love even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 PM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbackhometoNH View Post
...and it seemed everyone but me had one of those American flag credit cards (it took me 8 months down here to realize that they were food stamp cards, only because I asked what the were... I thought at first they were a NC credit card that people chose from their bank - honest I did - True Story...lol....)...
Holy cow, my exact experience, word for word right here in "FV", NC...my thoughts included!!

I kept looking around like WTF? What did I miss? Who is giving those things out? I'm the only one with a credit union debit visa card on this line [=my own money].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire