Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM

10 posts, read 7,456 times

Advertisements

For teaching me that the grass is Not always greener on the other side. For allowing me to understand the value of clean lakes and rivers. For English being the 1st language and not the second. For trails that I can walk my happy, huge lab without him being poisoned. For the beautiful mountains and ocean. For the occasional and constant ‘hello‘ that everyone shares. For no state taxes which means no welfare frauds at record numbers. For protecting my 2nd amendment rights. For clean air and a clean living environment. For the 4 Awesome seasons which you have ~ winter included!!. For being able to come Home to my Live Free or die state that I will always Love and never change!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Sounds like someone appreciates the Granite State!

Welcome home!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbackhometoNH View Post
For teaching me that the grass is Not always greener on the other side. For allowing me to understand the value of clean lakes and rivers. For English being the 1st language and not the second. For trails that I can walk my happy, huge lab without him being poisoned. For the beautiful mountains and ocean. For the occasional and constant ‘hello‘ that everyone shares. For no state taxes which means no welfare frauds at record numbers. For protecting my 2nd amendment rights. For clean air and a clean living environment. For the 4 Awesome seasons which you have ~ winter included!!. For being able to come Home to my Live Free or die state that I will always Love and never change!!!
Raleigh is everything NH is not LOL...I so miss NH daily!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Upon retiring, I am considering NH and NC (Raleigh) area...you're post convinces me even more. Can you tell me why you don't like NC (other than what you have stated generally in your OP). I worry about being able to handle the cold winters but I hate hot weather.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbackhometoNH View Post
1 post? Surely there will be more. I went looking for a better place to be, and hit up 40 states in one ride. guess where I am posting from.. Just one guess. LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Upon retiring, I am considering NH and NC (Raleigh) area...you're post convinces me even more. Can you tell me why you don't like NC (other than what you have stated generally in your OP). I worry about being able to handle the cold winters but I hate hot weather.
The original OP does a good summation of the South. Even though property taxes are lower in NC, it is not as great as it appears. The summers are getting extremely hot...we are already on our 26th day of this year in the 90's. It is oppressive heat too, not just dry heat, the in-your-face heat. Granted I am NOT a fan of NH winters at all, but not sure which is worse, heat or snow LOL. When it is this hot, you can't go outside and enjoy it either due to any activity gives you first signs of heat stroke within 10-15 minutes. You have to have a car with working a/c and a house with a/c. You plan your activities on if there is a/c where you are going. Lakes are NOT like NH lakes at all - and the beach is at least 2 hours east of us and hope for no traffic.

As far as living - diversity is very big here with all the universities in the surrounding area. There is little public transportation outside of Raleigh or the big big big cities themselves. Some school districts are year-round - and the school systems get at least 50% of most taxes, and they still suck!

Pay down here is not good - unemployment is high and the Governor "Taxdue" - well let's not go there! Find me and hubby a job and a cheap house and we're back in NH now!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
loveautumn ~ I think NHtoNCmom summed it up pretty well...yes the winters are cold in NH and milder in NC, but it is a Huge trade off, whereas the heat is Horrible here and humidity off the charts which also brings bugs that are nasty. In my opinion, the Raleigh area lacks any natural beauty. It seems that someone just came in with a bulldozer and leveled everything and replaced it with cookie cutter housing. The lakes are pretty nasty and if you are use to clean water you can forget it down here. Not to mention, this is a Huge 'entitlement' state, if you are not use to that it can be a culture shock to say the least, not to mention plan on a good portion of your paycheck (what little there is of it) to go to these welfare programs...and trust me, there are a lot of people down here that definately know how to play that system. I do Not speak spanish nor do I plan on learning it, therefore I am a minority here. Enough said. I would rather focus on the positives of NH and not the many, many negatives of NC. I guess my thought to you would be that you would have to visit both places and then you could make your decision. As for me, I will be extremely over joyed when I am heading back home to NH and I see NC in my rear view mirror.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,542 times
I have lived in NC most of my life and love it here. The urban areas like Raleigh and Charlotte have lots to do, moderate traffic, and lots of yuppie transplants. The rural areas are not nearly as charming or livable as NH small towns, especially if you have children in school and other activites. The heat is oppressive in the summer, especially August. The winters are fantastic. The Raleigh area I find beautiful (cookie cutter neighborhoods are a problem), and offers incredible amenities in terms of sporting, cultural, entertainment events and excellent health care and higher education institutions, which adds to the vibrancy and diversity of the area.

That being said, we are moving to NH at the end of the summer and are excited to enjoy the great things your state has to offer. We are somewhat concerned with the winter (not so much the cold, but the lack of daylight) and despite a lot of research, we know we will encounter "unknown unknowns" (unpleasant or pleasant surprises). In the end, we have made this decision with a lot of thought and feel like we are leaving behind a place we know we love for a place we think we may love even more.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaap24 View Post
I have lived in NC most of my life and love it here. The urban areas like Raleigh and Charlotte have lots to do, moderate traffic, and lots of yuppie transplants. The rural areas are not nearly as charming or livable as NH small towns, especially if you have children in school and other activites. The heat is oppressive in the summer, especially August. The winters are fantastic. The Raleigh area I find beautiful (cookie cutter neighborhoods are a problem), and offers incredible amenities in terms of sporting, cultural, entertainment events and excellent health care and higher education institutions, which adds to the vibrancy and diversity of the area.

That being said, we are moving to NH at the end of the summer and are excited to enjoy the great things your state has to offer. We are somewhat concerned with the winter (not so much the cold, but the lack of daylight) and despite a lot of research, we know we will encounter "unknown unknowns" (unpleasant or pleasant surprises). In the end, we have made this decision with a lot of thought and feel like we are leaving behind a place we know we love for a place we think we may love even more.
Hello jaap24 ~ My intent was not to 'bash' the state of NC, I know that different people have different likes and dislikes. I, myself, am more of the 'outdoor' type of person. I didn't find any amenities that appealed to me in the Raleigh area. As you know, there is one strip mall after another, one big box store after another and unless one enjoys the sport of shopping, I never found much in the way of activities, I enjoy hiking with my dog, camping, riding horses, water sports and snow sports, and enjoying fresh air and Clean lakes! Yes the there are plenty of hospitals in the Raleigh area but I haven't visited those either. Entertainment events? there appear to be plenty of bars and lounges, again, I didn't find that to my liking. But again, to each their own, that is what makes us all different individuals! Honestly though, if you think Raleigh is beautiful ~ when you move to NH you will think you died and went to Heaven!!! Good Luck with your move and enjoy the state of NH!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Sounds like someone appreciates the Granite State!

Welcome home!
More than you would ever know!!! Thanks for the 'Welcome home'!! I can't wait!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire