Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM

19 posts, read 37,490 times

Advertisements

Ha! Good to know. I like an area that has more local retail as opposed to chains, but don't know about my wife and if she could handle that. She might need a mall fix from time to time. For me, I'll be in the Whites getting my fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Good Morning

Malls are pretty much limited to the south/eastern portion of the state. The Mall of New Hampshire is in Manchester, and Pheasant Lane Mall is in Nashua. There are many towns with easy access to either, or both and many of these towns have a decidedly rural feel, but just minutes away, you have access to stores-perhaps not in your town, but would you really want that?

While I love the open spaces up north of the lakes, I know that my family requires shopping nearby--not so much the malls, but more the day-to-day grocery and household needs. I have no desire to trek 30 minutes + to get to the grocery store for a gallon of milk. If you chose an area that already has your requirements in place, so much better than moving to a beautiful area and then detesting the very essence of what makes that area special.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM

127 posts, read 216,943 times
Who needs a mall when you have the internet. I will look forward to getting away from malls, big box stores and chain restaurants.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 PM

89 posts, read 134,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
Who needs a mall when you have the internet. I will look forward to getting away from malls, big box stores and chain restaurants.
Yup, Amazon and UPS are my new friends.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 PM

89 posts, read 134,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Maybe it's just that New England Puritan-style entitlement to suffering that makes me say these things. I was born and raised in Maine/New Hampshire...
Yup, that would be it.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 AM

So, what do folks do in NH when they go out? Or, is that something that might be a bigger difference for me to think about - that folks in NE do not go out as much as folks do here?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Hike, pick berries, cross country ski, go to fairs, farmers markets, chop wood, yard work, work on the house, go to neighbors pig roast.

But spending money to buy stuff from chain store at a huge paved over place that is congested and artificial isn't something that appeal to most of us here. Actually it's what we want to get away from.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Yup, and that's exactly what I am looking to get away from. Just trying to judge how extreme an adjustment it will be.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
Yup, and that's exactly what I am looking to get away from. Just trying to judge how extreme an adjustment it will be.
Great place for snow skiers, not so much for snow shovelers. But we don't have 40 straight days of 100 degree weather with 90% humidity in July and August. Was 75 today with 51% humidity. Will be low 50's tonight. aaaagh

Old 09-07-2011, 07:34 AM

Actually, I heard it was a great place for snow shovelers!

Seriously, what do people do in NE in the winter, and even spring/fall when its still cold? I know there's winter sports - which I plan on participating in - but what else is there? You've painted a picture where I'm hunkered in my house, waiting for the thaw, unless I want to go ski or ice skate. Do folks go out at nite to restaurants, etc.? What's going on as a community during the winter months. What about weekends? I already do yardwork, work on the house, hike, go to fairs and farmers markets, and have pizza with neighbors. I don't chop wood currently, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire