Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 11:37 AM
tm5 tm5 started this thread

2 posts, read 6,181 times

Advertisements

We are moving to New Hampshire in January 2011.

I was wondering if anyone had any information about how much it will cost to have the following two vehicles in either Nottingham or Barrington.

Car 1
Driver's Birth Month: March
Year: 2006
Make: Suzuki
Model: Forenza
MSRP: 16,599 (the high-end price)
Weight: 2,701 lbs
The car is currently under a lien in current state, and will be for a year and a half after the move date. Does anyone know how this will affect registration?

and

Car 2
Driver's Birth Month: April
Year: 2004
Make: Subaru
Model: Forester
MSRP: 27,645 (again, the high-end price)
Weight: 3,250 lbs

What is the cost of registration for the city level and state level, emissions or safety check fees, plate fees, license fees, and anything I haven't listed?

Also I have read that NH goes by birth month. If we both move in January, we will have two months (60 days) to do the initial registration right? Well considering one birth month starts immediately after those 60 days end, and the other birth months is a month later, will we have to re-register and pay all (or any) of the fees over again, or will we just start paying the next year in our birth months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Each town has it's own town fee, so I have no idea what that would be, since I don't live in either town. The state has a fee as well, based on what these cars cost new.

The fees will be pro-rated the first year, which can exceed 12 months, for example if you get here and btw it's 30 days not 60, and regii up in January for the march car, you will pay for jan, feb and 1 year, not just pay for jan and feb, then have to go regii up again in March.

If say you came in july then you would pay till March, again pro-rated, but the other way.

Once this happens each year you will pay a full year from then on.

It may be you need to go to Concord DMV for your first licenses, but I am not sure. There after each 5 or 6 years you should get notice in the mail to re-new lic's.

The fee for state inspection on all cars 1996 and up is 40 to 45 bucks, done once each year on the month of birth, yours, not the car.

If you have a motorbike it too is registered for a full year. The fee for state inspection can be 20 and up, and things this way are moving up naturally.

There is no emissions as proper test, each 1996 and up car is plugged into a computer OBDII and the info stored on that with the last 30 minutes of what ever that car has done gets sent to DMV in Concord, so don't drive like a mad man, or you will get a speeding ticket that way.

If the ECU has a fault code stored that info goes to concord too. Each inspection station is forced to rent a DMV com****r for 50 bucks a month. The shop has no option to buy the computer.

Sorry I don't have exact detail for you.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
have you considered calling the town clerk in each town and asking them? Every town has different rates, so it's tough to say. It does tend to go by age /value of the car and weight.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
I hope you're not basing your decision on which town to live in by comparing auto registration fees!

Seriously, either town is great. Can't imagine there's too much difference overall in how much it costs to register the cars. Neither place would be considered "cheap" compared to many other states. Old cars cost much less to register than late model cars.

I paid less than $100 to register my 2010 Prius here in ND. I'd gladly pay 5 times that if I could live in NH!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM
tm5 tm5 started this thread

2 posts, read 6,181 times
Ah-ha! @steveusaf, no I'm just planning ahead, we haven't decided which city yet, but those are the top two on the list.

Thank you all so much for the info. I guess I'll just have to call the town clerks for specifics. This has been very helpful though. Thanks again!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
There are Town fees, and State fees. State Fees skyrocketed in the past few years. For a few old cars and a couple of trailers and motorcycles (non expensive or new). Three years ago we paid about $200, then it was $350, then $400, and this year $500. It's another cash cow for a state that has spent itself into a catastrophe. Don't forget absolutely everything here is more expensive than other parts of the nation: insurance, heating, housing, property taxes.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,520 times
I grew up in NH, live in VA now. Speaking from experience, the "high cost" is a matter of perspective. Overall, compared to VA, NH car registration is slightly more expensive, but only because VA has "car tax relief" that gives a 70% discount to owners of personal (rather than business) vehicles. In NH car insurance is significantly cheaper than in VA. Car insurance is not mandatory in NH; insurers have to compete against the alternative of you driving without insurance. The only plus to VA is that the emissions inspection is every other year. Insurance is also very inexpensive compared to MA. In fact, MA has a "serious problem" of people living in MA using a PO box or vacation home in NH as their legal address to register their cars in NH, to avoiding MA insurance rates and sales tax.

You'll cut two checks at the town clerk's office (or one at the clerk's office, and another at DMV, if you're unlucky). The state fee is a function of the car's weight, and the town fee is a function of the car's value. The town charges on a sliding scale such that the yearly registration fee will bottom out when the car is five or six years old.

NH has registration and inspection due in the month of the car *owner's* birth. In the case of a leased car, it must be registered in the "birth month" of the leasing company, not yours. As stated previously, the first year the registration will be prorated based on time of year, relative to your birthday. You'll need your out-of-state registration and title or sales/leasing contract to obtain the NH title and registration. Once registered, you have a 10 day grace period to have the car safety inspected. For cars 1996 and newer, the safety inspection also includes an OBD-II emissions test, which must be passed in addition to the safety inspection. If the check-engine light is on in the car, it will fail the safety inspection.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
NH has registration and inspection due in the month of the car *owner's* birth.
you know, that makes me curious: what happens in the case of joint ownership? Both DH & I are listed as owners on both of our cars. His birthday is in July & mine is in December. He is listed first in both cases because he pays the bills. Would we get to pick and choose which of us it's due for?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
you know, that makes me curious: what happens in the case of joint ownership? Both DH & I are listed as owners on both of our cars. His birthday is in July & mine is in December. He is listed first in both cases because he pays the bills. Would we get to pick and choose which of us it's due for?
Wanna-it goes by who is listed first. We have joint ownership of both of our cars. When we bought our cars we made sure the dealer listed me first on one and him first on one so we don't have two registrations in the same month. As far as I know, if you want to spread it out, you would need to be listed first on one of the cars. At least that was the only option presented to us when we have purchased cars.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM

bummer. we already own the cars. really don't want to have to reg them both at the same time! <sigh>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire