Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBX View Post
Winters can be difficult even if you used to them thats for sure. My main concern, our kids. We want to continue to keep them busy with various activities.

Mac_Muz, the job is in healthcare sector. I get your point re NYC, NJ. It take me a while to open up to strangers as well. I guess I am in for a standoff

What are the predominant heating systems? Oil, gas, wood, ...
Main heating source is heating oil, with propane a bit more common in newer construction. Wood stoves are very common in the North Country and Pellet Stoves are increasingly common. Natural gas heat is rare and is typically only found right in town. Most people live on larger lots in the country, though...

Healthcare is the best sector to be in for northern NH. Many jobs do not pay that well relative to the cost of living.

In terms of towns, I like both Littleton and Lancaster, but think Lancaster has more charm and character.

Oh, and when we mean rural we mean RURAL. That means no sidewalks in rural areas, everyone is on well and septic, and NO STREETLIGHTS make for far less light pollution.

Get involved in outdoor recreation as it is the best way to interact with newcomers and natives. Being active in winter and taking up skiing or snowshoeing is a good idea as winter daylight hours are short in the hill country due to mountain shadowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
We can all breath a sigh of relief
LOL Oh yeah, I am here to save the world!

Err ah, umm, Well, maybe not the world, but thar's no sence wastin' nuthin', so I will be content saving any chocolates, and any other valuables, of course fer safe keepin's...

Would anyone heya' have any valuables they would like me ta' hold fer safe keepin's?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Winters can be difficult even if you used to them thats for sure. My main concern, our kids. We want to continue to keep them busy with various activities.

Mac_Muz, the job is in healthcare sector. I get your point re NYC, NJ. It take me a while to open up to strangers as well. I guess I am in for a standoff

What are the predominant heating systems? Oil, gas, wood, ...

Heating can be any of the above, but in a rental maybe not wood.. If you are lucky enough to find a rental where wood is an option, get wood ASAP, so it can dry.

Most folks probaly use wood as a back up to what ever else they have...... I am not a good roll model for modern man, and I like wood 24/7, but oddly don't have that where I live at the moment, but the shop is wood fired only, which helps.

A rental may offer heat and plowing, and for your first winter, you had best hope so, unless we have another pipsqueak winter like the last.

That stand off thing can happen to a native and all he has to do is move to a new town where he is not known. But only older locals pull the stunt of going to see what and who you are, and there is a lot more new folks.

All would ask is don't bring anything of the ways of NJ life with you. In fact get a drivers lic ASAP and go buy a gun! If you have kids and or pets, and i know you got kids, a gun is a good thing to have...

And oh don't expect gas station attendant to pump any gas..... I almost got in a fist fight in NJ over that, in a 4 wheeled vehical, and got my self all worked up a few years ago on my bike, and the attendant passed the nozzel to me.... My 4 wheeled are one thang, by bike is another.

I am 60 and have earned the right to be grouchy too, and am taking lesson to be an older man than I am. That's because I have a bad case of Peter Pan Syndrome.

BTW I am also writting another book, which is called Dementia for Fun and Profit.

If i can remember, later I will explain why...... LOL

Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM

I read back a bit and see Granite Stater mentioned pellet stoves...... They are just fine until the power goes out..... then they are worthless hunks of steel sitting in the room with no place to be.....

Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I read back a bit and see Granite Stater mentioned pellet stoves...... They are just fine until the power goes out..... then they are worthless hunks of steel sitting in the room with no place to be.....
That is why in most truly rural parts of NH you don't find many pellet stoves.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:23 PM
VBX VBX started this thread

8 posts, read 13,894 times
Pumping my own gas? That's a deal breaker lol
Why would I need a gun there? If I had one, i am afraid, I would use it. I don't want to be canned. I like my sky view unobstructed. Are there large vicious animals (mankind excluded) roaming the northen plains of New Hampshire?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
that's what the generator is for.....the rare occasion when the power goes out over 24 hours.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
Quote:
Pumping my own gas? That's a deal breaker lol
Why would I need a gun there? If I had one, i am afraid, I would use it. I don't want to be canned. I like my sky view unobstructed. Are there large vicious animals (mankind excluded) roaming the northen plains of New Hampshire?

what do you consider large? bear? mountain lion? (F&G will deny they exist) wolf? (again, F&G will deny they exist), coyote?

any of the above with rabies?

how about just a raccoon with rabies, or a fox? - not so big, but terrifying when foaming at the mouth and ready to attack you or your family, or your pets.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:53 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
what do you consider large? bear? mountain lion? (F&G will deny they exist) wolf? (again, F&G will deny they exist), coyote?

any of the above with rabies?

how about just a raccoon with rabies, or a fox? - not so big, but terrifying when foaming at the mouth and ready to attack you or your family, or your pets.
Funny thing is the eastern coyote is very much a mixed wolf. Some DNA samples on dead coyote by NH Fish & Game have shown some coyote to have as much as 83% wolf DNA....which makes them about all wolf IMO. As for having true wolf-packs in northern New England like out west I'll say no, though the random wolf would not surprise me. But since the wolf is a social animal, the few that do drift in here must get hooked up with Coyotes hence the birth over the last 40 or so years of the eastern coyote which looks much (bigger & stronger) different than its cousin the western coyote.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My in-laws live up hill from Lisbon and the only large predator they have seen are bears. They once had one try and knaw her way into a Subaru to get at the food in back. Wild turkeys and deer are free lance garden thieves. Don't let your pets roam outside because they are food animals for smaller predators like Coyotes.

Goo to hear from you Mac Mutz. What was the first book, Mac?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire