Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM

32 posts, read 95,417 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking the other day how much of a lifestyle change moving to NH will be for my kids, and I got to thinking what would I miss most about Florida.

The only thing that I could come up with was that I don't know if some of my favorite restaurants exist up there. (Obviously the local ones won't be there)

So I got to looking and I found out you don't have Moe's Southwest Grill (I see it does exist in MA and VT) or Zaxby's Chicken. Got me thinking I wonder what else we'll be missing???

Anybody have any experience going from shopping at Publix (where shopping is a pleasure) to a NH grocery store?

For those of you who have moved to NH -- were there any big stores/restaurants that you left behind and still miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
We seem to have stores and restaurants similar to the big chains most anywhere else. We may not have a particular style of fried chicken or barbecue but we do have most of them. Besides, kids are flexible and they will start going to the same stores their new friends.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 AM

108 posts, read 341,483 times
I was wondering, why so many people here are so against fast food franchises? Yeah, it's not the healthiest food. But what's wrong about having them around? Bad for small local restaurants? But these are franchises and are owned by locals, they are not global giants like WalMart.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 AM

83 posts, read 69,733 times
Nope, can't say I would miss any CHAIN restaurants or stores. I am moving the New Hampshire to get away from big business and other garbage associated with the big cities. I still tell New Hampshire residents- Keep it that way! Buy local, support your communities.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM

83 posts, read 69,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSnow View Post
I was wondering, why so many people here are so against fast food franchises? Yeah, it's not the healthiest food. But what's wrong about having them around? Bad for small local restaurants? But these are franchises and are owned by locals, they are not global giants like WalMart.
Still franchises are not really owned. The person who has the franchise is only getting a slice of the pie while the parent group gets the rest. Yes I am against franchises, big business. Support your locals!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 AM

452 posts, read 1,734,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSnow View Post
Could it be that the national franchises, at least in the eyes of local residents, are seen as major factors which most affect the character of their small town? Changes are hard to accept for some people such as seeing a major retailer building their newest store upon the grounds of the field that was used to play pick up ball games on Saturday. Or the night sky, once full of stars, is now obliterated due to the high intensity sodium light pollution. Perhaps it seeing the local establishments, owned and operated by their neighbors, suffer difficult financial hardships due to the loss of income because they didn't have the 1/2 million dollars to open it themselves. It may even be the added traffic congestion or the crackling voice of the young girl asking "may I help you?" every 20 seconds over the drive up loud speaker. Could it be the used paper cups and burger boxes showing up on the side of the country roads? Maybe it's the brightly colored paint on those slightly out of character buildings. Maybe it could even be the advertising flags along the side of the road causing all the flap! I just don't know. Maybe someone here could tell us!

Last edited by jthibodeau; 10-02-2007 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,700 times
Except for Fresh City and when I'm on the fly, that is pretty much the extent of my patronage to fast food franchises. In terms of dining-in, I must say there is one strong exception to the rule: imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw a Texas Roadhouse opening in Newington. I knew beforehand how good the BBQ is there beforehand. Plus a place in New Engalnd that actually serves your wings flavored somewhat hot when you order them hot! I am shocked! Texas Roadhouse is about the only chain I'd recommend in the universe. And in one month since they opened, they have been quite the draw. Nashua has an establishment as well, off 101-A
As for groceriess, Hannfords I find rather pleasant amongst chains, but it is pricy amongst the rivals as opposed to Publix in the south.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:26 PM

32 posts, read 95,417 times
Maybe some of the litter on the side of the road came from local restaurants. Maybe some of those fields that are turned into buildings are actually built for and by locals (it's called development). Maybe even some of the advertisements are for local places, or the brightly painted building, or the drive-through, or the owners of the brightly lit sign...

Nah, never mind -- must be those darn national chains!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM

108 posts, read 341,483 times
Soooo.... Chains encourage people to be messy???

I guess I know. Having all those popular names around makes your special place just like any other. Is that it?

But it is so convenient. And you can feel at home anywhere

Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
I think that many of the people who live here in NH like how it looks right now. Do we really need MORE fast food joints?? (National chains such as Applebees, Olive Garden would be more welcome...) Does EVERY town need to have 2 or more McD's, BK' KFC, etc (and how sad is it that we all know those acronyms?? I'm pretty disappointed that we'll be getting not one but two more eyesores, and I do believe that residents should be able to VOTE on proposed development. I don't know ONE person who is happy that KFC and Taco Bell will be here in just a couple of months. They add NOTHING except low-paying jobs, brightly colored signs and all-night lights that spoil my stargazing (yes, that WAS part of the equation in my decision to move to NH!!) I'm sad to say that when I traveled half-way across the country to come home to New England, every state looked like every other state, all the same places to eat, sleep, etc. Blah! Give me some local flavor anytime!!

I've said it before, I'll say it again... If you really need fast food, huge shopping malls and big box stores to make life complete, consider moving to an area where move to an area that they're already in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire