Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 23,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
UNH is not near Concord.

You would be better off living in Durham if attending UNH. Although there are satellite schools. In fact, Keene State and Plymouth State are all part of UNH. In some way.
UNH law school is in Concord. That's where I'd be going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Speaking as a NH conservative I'd just as soon you forget about NH and move to CO. The last thing we need here in NH is another moonbat voting for idiots like Hassan, Shaheen, Kuster and Che-Porter.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 AM

686 posts, read 1,768,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen821 View Post
Thanks! I'm choosing between UNH and University of Denver right now. Denver is higher ranked, but according to stats, UNH had better employment for graduates last year. ...
A potential concern is that if you choose UNH, there is a not-so-small chance you will not find employment in/around Concord after you graduate. Are you OK with moving after graduating?

My concern about moving-after-graduation is based on three things: First, there simply are more jobs in the Denver area in the Concord area. So, intuitively, it seems easier to stay put in Denver after graduation.

Second: Most law-related jobs are based on recommendations. I imagine if you have an influential professor writing you a recommendation, you will be able to land a decent job no matter where you graduate from (as long as you graduate from a decent school). But given how network ties tend to be, a UNH professor is more likely to recommend you to a New England (or North East) law firm, just like a Denver professor's recommendation is likely to land you a job in the heartland (or in the "desert land"). Which of these areas do you want to live in?

Third: Law firms weigh the college as much as (if not more than) the individual they hire. So, I wonder if higher-ranked Denver college is the better choice, notwithstanding that UNH grads had better placement last year. Maybe look at the historical employment numbers beyond last year, if you haven't already?

Obviously, an outstanding student might land a job at a law firm of their choice, but it is worthwhile thinking of life beyond graduation before committing to a town. Frankly, if I were a student (how I wish I were, especially at a law school), I would go to the school that best tickles my intellect and be open to moving after graduation to wherever I found the best job. Of course, life is not that simple, especially when you have a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen821 View Post
As for socially liberal, Orlando was great, but the town I'm living in now isn't-the people tend to be very in-your-face religious, anti-alternative lifestyle, pro-traditional gender roles, that type of thing. I'd prefer somewhere that's open to all sorts of ways of life, where people can choose what they want without getting an earful from locals. I know NH has a history of being pretty independent, which sounds good to me. ...
There will always be someone in your face no matter where you go: religion, gender, lifestyle, politics, race, ethnicity, or whatever else pushes the buttons. (I am sure you have come across some of this recently.) I suggest you ignore it and live your life. In my opinion, there is no greater need to stand our ground than when we witness/experience subjective discouragement/discrimination.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
Default Concord vs Denver

good public or non-religious private schools - Concord has good schools. I do not know about Denver. St Paul's is in Concord and is a very good private school. Beautiful campus.

snow, mountains, and greenery - Plenty of that in NH. Great part about Concord is everything is within an hour drive - hiking, mtn biking, Boston, Portsmouth and Vermont and Maine beaches. Jenner Beach in NH is nice for paddleboard and surfing. People friendly and quiet, no boomboxes or loud people -except for MA folks with their spoiled kids.

much less humidity than Florida - Less than Florida, but can be intense in summer. Mosquitoes suck.

decent job market (especially for legal careers) -not sure for Concord. It's a small town, seems slightly depressed, but hopefully on an up swing with renovation to downtown. Mostly lawyers and doctors here with the rest blue collar and service industry.

generally socially liberal attitude - depends on who you talk with, overall older population with conservative views. complete lack of diversity -mostly white older folks, but open minded New England types.

four seasons - Yes in concord. Fall is amazing.

a decent body of water - Water everywhere in Concord -beautiful hikes and places to swim or kayak or surf - go to Rye Beach or Jenner Beach. I've never seen so many lakes and streams anywhere.

things to do (pubs/restaurants, non-commercial shops, bookstores, outdoor sports, etc) - Concord is limited. They have one good coffee shop/bar, True Barista, a few good restaurants - hardly any good ethnic food places. Good vegan place at the Spoon Revolution or Cafe Indigo.

less expensive living - Gas is cheap in Concord. Food prices about the same in nation. Housing and rent cheaper, but not that cheap. Houses range from 200-400k. Rent can range from 900-2000 depending on size and amenties.

Law school in Concord - Good school. Known for patent law. Located next to White Park. They have ice skating on the pond in winter. School close to downtown, walking distance.

Denver - I've been to Denver a couple times. It's extremely dry. That's my big negative. Otherwise, it's a great city with lots of places to hangout, grab a bite to eat or shop. The outdoors is amazing. People are pretty friendly. I just can't get over the dryness. I prefer a humid climate.

Hope that helps.

Lived all over the world -still have not found what I am looking for.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 AM

686 posts, read 1,768,318 times
VermontFallGirl: Great first post. Welcome to CD forums.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I've lived in CO and I now live in NH. Both awesome states. Denver is beautiful and has a lot of what you're looking for but Concord is also nice... And much smaller.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:11 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
decent job market (especially for legal careers) -not sure for Concord. It's a small town, seems slightly depressed, but hopefully on an up swing with renovation to downtown. Mostly lawyers and doctors here with the rest blue collar and service industry.

Concord is perfect to launch your career. Federal jobs galore and secondly, state positions...

Take the civil service exams. Also, I would point out that you may become familiar with some local lawyers and judges while you are attending school in the city. Nothing can compete with having contacts and recommendations to land an excellent job..

if you choose NH, you'll quickly get used to the weather and it's hardly noticeable when you are cramming for exams. Good luck wherever you choose to go...

Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM

10 posts, read 23,225 times
Thanks for all the great input, everyone! I'm fine with not living in Concord after I graduate-I'll go where the jobs are. Somewhere else in NH or in New England in general would be fine with me. This has given me a lot to think about. I was planning on visiting Denver if I could only visit one, but now I'm strongly considering visiting NH instead. Despite it not being a highly rated law school, I've heard and read some great things about UNH, so I'm hopeful about jobs. I honestly don't have a strong preference between a smaller town like Concord and a big city like Denver, as long as there are a couple of cool places in each. Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
We have four: Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots. Denver can't compare to New England when it comes to professional sports....
There are four teams in Denver too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire