Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM

80 posts, read 147,898 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the town suggestions! We would LOVE a rural setting, yet close to a city (like Tilton or Concord) -- the problem is finding properties for sale that we can afford (thus looking at Franklin/Tilton.) Edit: Loudon makes us nervous because of the race track. There is a MUCH smaller one here in Claremont and you can hear it across the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Webster Lake in Franklin is also beautiful, if you can find a property there. Tilton has Silver Lake, equally beautiful.

I second Dunbarton - very rural and quiet but close to most amenities. Maybe you'll find something on Gorham Pond.
QUESTION: I see that Webster Lake has a public beach, but does Silver Lake? Even driving through to Laconia, I did not see a public beach for Winnisquam either, but I assume there must be one there?? (Just good to know wherever we land.) I live in Claremont and one of the only lakes around, Crescent Lake in Lempster, doesn't seem to have public access. It really BURNS me when a town takes a natural resource for the wealthy with no access for the public. Lakes, mountains, and large forests should not be completely privately owned, IMO.

I also have to say that I LOVE Andover and wish it were close. SO GORGEOUS, rural, and low taxes! (And Highland Lake.)

Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
Look at Dunbarton like was mentioned. I forgot about it. Great location. The Loudon race track is not used that often for major races. Another place to look is Pennacook which is part of Concord, but more in line for the price you are looking for.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Look at Dunbarton like was mentioned. I forgot about it. Great location. The Loudon race track is not used that often for major races. Another place to look is Pennacook which is part of Concord, but more in line for the price you are looking for.

twice a year for big races IF they keep them.

The track can't be heard from far. If you live within a 1/2 mile it's possible.....

There are no public beaches on Silver Lake in Tilton/Belmont. However, there is public access for swimming in multiple locations.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
twice a year for big races IF they keep them.

The track can't be heard from far. If you live within a 1/2 mile it's possible.....

There are no public beaches on Silver Lake in Tilton/Belmont. However, there is public access for swimming in multiple locations.
Yup....that track is not really used much. The main thing is to just stay off 106 on race weekend if possible & you should be good to go. Belmont has a public beach right on the Laconia town line next to the Belknap Mall. I don't think many people even know that it's there.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
Belmont has a PRIVATE beach for Belmont residents. They must have a residency sticker to use the Leslie Roberts Beach and Recreation area. I believe it's on Lake Winnisquam.

Belmont has Silver Lake, Lake Winnisquam, Sargent Lake and of course, Winnipesaukee is not far.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:49 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,370 times
If you like living in Claremont, you would probably like Tilton or Franklin, although they are more built up than Claremont. If you are looking for more rural, I would avoid both towns. As your realtor mentioned, Rte 11 is very busy just past Webster Lake in Franklin and all the way through Tilton.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Both towns are a run-down mess.....Franklin more so. Big drug issues in both towns. Can't begin to understand why you have picked these 2 towns ? At least look at Northfield & Sanbornton like buck naked mentioned.

Both are old mill towns. And the mill businesses are long gone. Some old brick mills have been rehabbed.

But if you are coming from Claremont then both may be similiar.

If you have children look for Catholic or private schools in area. Some do provide scholarships for locals if you cannot afford such.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 PM

Thanks -- I figured that they would be similar to Claremont (also an old mill town.) Claremont is a mixed bag for us, but we are lucky to live in a really nice area here, so great neighbors, church, and really safe. We are very comfortable here, but I know it's a bit "rougher" than other areas. (Of course, moving here from Lansing, MI and my husband from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, crime and other problems are a joke -- it's all relative!)

We homeschool, so interested to know if there are homeschool groups or pretty conservative (Protestant) churches in that area. I know that active churches in New England are scarce, but hoping to find a community to plug in with. I expect that, like Claremont, there are nicer parts of Franklin and Tilton as well as the rougher areas.

Saying all that, we are going to tour the area tomorrow a bit more and look at some surrounding towns, like Gilmanton and Boscawen. Tilton has an edge on taxes compared to all the towns around it, but we will consider towns closer to Concord where my husband actually works. Living in Franklin/Tilton definitely keeps us out of the Concord community, which might not be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire