Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 AM

128 posts, read 293,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
As an NH conservative/libertarian I'd welcome you here Need. The only group of people I wouldn't welcome here is that group which has declared a jihad on common sense, individual accountability and deceny (ie leftists)
Thanks! I am hoping to find my a great place to raise my family. The west coast just isn't for us anymore now that we have a child to think about. The east coast, specifically New England has the slower paced, small town life that we want for our family and to be blessed with four seasons, we can't ask for more.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 AM

128 posts, read 293,358 times
Wink I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Take back America from whom exactly? And, who took it in the first place?

It's become the tag line/mantra for the tea baggers and their ilk. They want to take it back to the 1950's and the pre-Civil Rights era.

The Tea Party has a 'big picture' vision and gay people are not in it. Neither are black people, Hispanic people or outspoken women.

To the Tea Party “acceptable” members of minority groups are an exception. Some of them would say a “rare exception.” They see everyone else as “takers.”

Immigration, voter suppression, marriage equality and women's rights are all part of the TP's mantra and vision of hatred. When the Tea Partiers talk about “taking my country back”, it means they yearn for a time when white made right.

They think there is a way to return to a time when people of color stayed in their ethnic ghettos and white people had the rest of the country to themselves, and in their minds, everyone got along just fine. Mexicans were content to stay in Mexico, except during harvest season, and there was no need to “push 2 for Spanish.” A women had dinner on the table by six and deferred to her husband at all times, and was judged by how clean she kept her kitchen and how many babies she pushed out. Dad was king of the castle, because he made the money, and because he was the man. And of course, the family spent every Sunday together in church, with neighbors who were just like them.

That vision cannot be accomplished by embracing diversity.

It also means no public schools or college education. No admittance to hospitals beyond the ER. Stop and search and papers on demand with no probable cause besides the officer’s suspicion needed. I’ve even heard no airplane travel mentioned, except “back to where they came from”. They are always quick to add that exception.

The Tea Party vision is to establish a “Christian Country” with a twist. Everyone will be armed with AK-47's.

If they must have public schools, then they want schools where science takes a back seat to Bible studies. Where evolution is given the same weight as creationism. And where bullies are given a pass provided they are motivated by a deeply held religious belief that suspected gay kids should be given swirlies.

Take it BACK? no way in He**.
BuckNaked,

I have really been enjoying reading your post throughout the NH forum so please don't take it personally when I say I disagree with you. I do not agree with the Tea Party's agenda 100% but for the most part they are the only ones with the back bones and sticking it to Obama and the liberals. I support the Tea Party but not a member because I am on the fence but kudos to them for sticking to what they belief. I was somewhat offended when you said, "It's become the tag line/mantra for the tea baggers and their ilk", because although, I am not a Tea Party member, I do agree that we do need to take our country back. We need to take it back to when America was respected around the world; we need to take it back to when immigrants like myself (now proud US citizen) dreamt of a better tomorrow in America; we need to take it back to when hard working Americans & small business owners were respected and seen as role models and not vilified as greedy business people; we need to take it back to when people that took accountability for their own actions were admired for their courage and not sue a company for their own mistake of spilling coffee on themselves (and win the law suit), etc. No we do not need to take it back to the slave days for as I myself am Asian and do not wish to be a slave nor work on the railroad. I hope this clears things up for you and perhaps brings on a chuckle or two so please don't be mad because I am a fan.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
I do agree that we do need to take our country back. We need to take it back to when America was respected around the world; we need to take it back to when immigrants like myself (now proud US citizen) dreamt of a better tomorrow in America; we need to take it back to when hard working Americans & small business owners were respected and seen as role models and not vilified as greedy business people; we need to take it back to when people that took accountability for their own actions were admired for their courage and not sue a company for their own mistake of spilling coffee on themselves (and win the law suit), etc.
While I agree with you on these points, none of these things are the responsibility of government to control. I despise politics and one of the main reasons is because people like to blame government, and lately whomever is president, for problems like the ones you listed.

You're giving the government WAY too much credit if you think they can control things like corporate greed. You think there should be a law against greedy people?

You're setting yourself up to be hugely disappointed no matter which party wins whatever election. Dial back your expectations.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 AM

238 posts, read 315,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
...I do not agree with the Tea Party's agenda 100% but for the most part they are the only ones with the back bones and sticking it to Obama and the liberals. ...
It sounds like you're taking a of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach to the Tea Party.

When I look at the data here, Tea Party on the Issues, I don't see much overlap with my positions other than fiscal conservatism.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
While I agree with you on these points, none of these things are the responsibility of government to control. I despise politics and one of the main reasons is because people like to blame government, and lately whomever is president, for problems like the ones you listed.

You're giving the government WAY too much credit if you think they can control things like corporate greed. You think there should be a law against greedy people?

You're setting yourself up to be hugely disappointed no matter which party wins whatever election. Dial back your expectations.
The president and ruling political party DO set the tone for the rest of society. As long as we don't pursue getting rid of illegal aliens, are too generous with handing out welfare, food stamps and Section 8 benefits and such, our society as a whole is then set up for too many to take advantage of these handouts.

People by nature are greedy, and they especially love pursue "easy money"... no matter what socio-economic class they come from. I am less upset by corporate greed, and much more concerned about the much larger numbers of lazy members of our citizenry.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
I don't know that the US was ever respected throughout the world. We've been at war for more than 200 years.

I suppose we could go back to poor houses. Roughly a hundred years ago, one went to the poor house (if they were lucky) when catastrophe struck. Thousands of people died in the poor houses. Today we park our cars and grow corn on the sites, although there is STILL one in MA.

With cuts to welfare (except for corporations) and food stamps we are quickly GOING BACK to the old way. Paul Ryan actually proposed bringing them back in 2011. Poor people would be auctioned off to the highest bidder. They would be purchased for work in exchange for a place to live.

GOP Labor Day -Take America Back To The Poor House Days

Take it BACK?

Try progressing. It's a good thing.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Most of the economically less fortunate folks I know are far from lazy. The work their asses off at low paying crappy jobs to keep the rent paid and their kids (most are divorced from mean drunks) in food, clothing and school. Yeah, there are a few poor that "game the system" but they are far less costly than the thieves that run AIG and take billions in government welfare.

As far as "taking back my country" in concerned I do not want to go back to the hellhole that was the 50's and 60's. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for my parents, I never learned to hate the people they wanted me to hate like Jews, Catholics, blacks, Mexicans and anybody else not like them. Not that I am free of animosity for some folks for their actions like cowardly terrorist bombers, war mongers in general, Military contractors (mercenaries) and tax dodging monopolist businessmen. IMHO they are either threatening me and mine or stealing from all the rest of us.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post

Why would the government want to control corporate greed? Anyone whose been paying attention can see how hugely they have benefitted from it. We have a corporate government and a corporate media. It's basically a ruling class that lies to and abuses the middle class and poor at will for their own benefit.

Sometimes those on the right and those on the left accurately assess the problem as being the same thing. It's in the proposed solutions that the chasm is so vast.

Last edited by Declan's Dad; 09-26-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most of the economically less fortunate folks I know are far from lazy. The work their asses off at low paying crappy jobs to keep the rent paid and their kids (most are divorced from mean drunks) in food, clothing and school. Yeah, there are a few poor that "game the system" but they are far less costly than the thieves that run AIG and take billions in government welfare.

As far as "taking back my country" in concerned I do not want to go back to the hellhole that was the 50's and 60's. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for my parents, I never learned to hate the people they wanted me to hate like Jews, Catholics, blacks, Mexicans and anybody else not like them. Not that I am free of animosity for some folks for their actions like cowardly terrorist bombers, war mongers in general, Military contractors (mercenaries) and tax dodging monopolist businessmen. IMHO they are either threatening me and mine or stealing from all the rest of us.

As an evil heartless conservative SOB I actually agree with your post Greg. I think the problem is that too often those on the right let their emotions get the better of them and paint all lower income people as lazy and usless when the reality is that there many who are decent, hard working people who try to do the right thing and better themselves. Conversely many on the left who let their emotions get the better of them are apt to paint all lower income people as hard working decent victims of society when the reality is that there are many who actually are lazy and just gaming the sysem. it's not a black and white 100% deal.

As for going back to the 50's. I didn''t experience the 50's personally but my biggest complaint with modern American society is how crass, vulgar and shallow it is. Our lives are for the most part dominated by the mainstream media, pop culture and the nevereneding quest for material possessions.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,383 times
Most poor people I know or met have made poor choices in their lives repeatedly.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen using a EBT card while holding on to their iPhone. When I was a kid we were poor, I didn't have an xbox, a 44" flat screen tv, and I know if cell phones were around back then my mother wouldn't of had an iPhone. We always had food and I always had clothes. No cable tv, no video games, we dealt with it.

There are a lot of poor people who simply make poor decisions with the money they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire