Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdc View Post
Derry, Manchester, Salem, Nashua are all becoming more and more crowded and it's making NH like Massachusetts. Crime, overcrowding, rude people. They are cutting down all of the beautiful trees and building all kinds of houses that we don't need up here. It's not the country any more. This state is being ruined more and more each day. It's very sad. No one wants to preserve land anymore. They will build a house anywhere.
So sad, but true almost everywhere. The lot next to me is now being bulldozed for a house (and I thought the overdevelopment had almost stopped!). It will totally ruin my formerly private home, with a house now looming over mine up the hill. The people who profit from overcrowding will say I should have bought the lot. Unfortunately, I didn't have an extra $175,000.

I might mention that the last 3 houses I bought over the past 15 years (existing houses, not new) had exactly the same fate: nice and private when I bought them, and almost instantly ruined with crowding, loss of privacy, and loss of wildlife habitat. I'm glad I'm not young; I have seen so much wildlife lost that I'm amazed there's a single deer left. Of course, rabbits have gone extinct in southern NH since I was young. Great place we're leaving for future generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM

125 posts, read 251,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashua101 View Post
Southern NH is the only bad part of the whole state specifically Manchester and Nashua...Both of their inner-cities have a reputation for gang-violence and drug-traffiking
Not true. Not compared to countless other cities of their size. I feel comfortable anywhere in either myself.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonTweed View Post
But it was my understanding that NH is generally divided by region.
Could the poll have been a bit more effective if it had been divided, not just by north and south, but by region?

I think a question about the comparable preferability of
The White Mountains
vs
The Lakes Region
vs
The Seacoast
vs
The Hanover Region and so on might be informative. At least to me.

I know that's not quite as clean as an up or down vote, but I do wonder about the perception of those regions in the state.
There are different regions, but from a cultural standpoint, the boundaries are north and south of Concord. That's where "Old NH" meets "New NH" in terms of how Northern NH is still less developed and Southern NH has changed more over the course of time.
The Lakes region, Hanover and White Mountains are more similar to each other and differs from the rest of NH because of the types of jobs available, access to most conveniences, development, etc. The Seacoast is considered too developed to people in those regions, and the Seacoast sees those areas as very spread out. Also, there wouldn't be much to compare the White Mountains to Hanover on their own. What could be considered "bad" about the White Mountains as opposed to Hanover, and vice versa? From an outsiders mind, it makes little sense to call any part of NH "bad" because the areas they speak of are so small or nothing in comparison to more populated states.

Personally, I think comparing Northern/Southern NH or different regions, as what's "worse" is comparing apples to oranges and bananas; as I think living in each area is more about lifestyle preference. Most people in NH like being spread out and don't want to lose open space for another McMansion. However, others may not mind that as much if it means where they live shortens their commute and access to other conveniences.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 13,540 times
West Central NH along the Conneticut River is really nice because you have lakes and mountains. It's pretty similiar to living in a valley....Sunapee area just north of Concord...Places I wouldn't want to live in NH are Manchester: because it is considered a big city in NH. Believe it or not but there is a lot of crime, drugs, shootings, ATM hold-ups....wierd..Not in NH?!? But Oh, Yes...in NH! Another place I wouldn't want to live is Claremont: It is a historical town. Delapitated mills and old brick buildings. They are pretty run down at the moment but the city has started a 'Build Claremont Back" committee, so they have been renovating the old mills and turning them into shopping and restaurant buildings. Very pretty! Most of the mills have survived fires and still have original rail road ties inside for a neat authentic look. Claremont doesn't have many opportunities for work. Most commute south to manchester, concord, or North into VT to Lebanon and Hanover. The schools education system isn't very good. I know that firsthand.....high rate of drop outs...Lots of kids and ppl that 'walk' around town all day n night. Just not a very clean and friendly place. It does hold a lot of potential because it is a very old town and does deserve a make over. I hope it works out, so far they are making great progress. Hmmmm, another place I wouldn't live is Nashua. It is similiar to Manchester...lots of low income neighborhoods which comes along with crime, ect. It is bigger so possibly more job opportunities. Most of NH is low income in the bigger cities. The rural areas are more friendly and more beautiful. One problem is commuting daily or weekly for work and or groceries and shopping. That is the one thing I couldn't stand living in NH, driving a half hour just to get groceries or get to work...If you are considering living in NH, I highly suggest Sunapee & New London area. There is Lake Sunappee and Mount Sunappee, so there is a lot of tourists....but a lot of fun in both winter and summer. The cost of living in these areas is a little high, but worth it! Also, check out Hanover NH, Lebanon NH, not West Lebanon!!! Enfield NH is pretty. Lots of farms and quiet territory, plus you only have to drive about 10 minutes to Lebanon for shopping. Enfield lies on I-89 so getting to Mass is a straight shot south which is helpful. There are a lot of nice places to reside in NH, you just have to look and ask real estate agents and tell them what you are looking for and what you're not looking for. NH or VT is a great choice!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalblu22 View Post
West Central NH along the Conneticut River is really nice because you have lakes and mountains. It's pretty similiar to living in a valley....Sunapee area just north of Concord...Places I wouldn't want to live in NH are Manchester: because it is considered a big city in NH. Believe it or not but there is a lot of crime, drugs, shootings, ATM hold-ups....wierd..Not in NH?!? But Oh, Yes...in NH! Another place I wouldn't want to live is Claremont: It is a historical town. Delapitated mills and old brick buildings. They are pretty run down at the moment but the city has started a 'Build Claremont Back" committee, so they have been renovating the old mills and turning them into shopping and restaurant buildings. Very pretty! Most of the mills have survived fires and still have original rail road ties inside for a neat authentic look. Claremont doesn't have many opportunities for work. Most commute south to manchester, concord, or North into VT to Lebanon and Hanover. The schools education system isn't very good. I know that firsthand.....high rate of drop outs...Lots of kids and ppl that 'walk' around town all day n night. Just not a very clean and friendly place. It does hold a lot of potential because it is a very old town and does deserve a make over. I hope it works out, so far they are making great progress. Hmmmm, another place I wouldn't live is Nashua. It is similiar to Manchester...lots of low income neighborhoods which comes along with crime, ect. It is bigger so possibly more job opportunities. Most of NH is low income in the bigger cities. The rural areas are more friendly and more beautiful. One problem is commuting daily or weekly for work and or groceries and shopping. That is the one thing I couldn't stand living in NH, driving a half hour just to get groceries or get to work...If you are considering living in NH, I highly suggest Sunapee & New London area. There is Lake Sunappee and Mount Sunappee, so there is a lot of tourists....but a lot of fun in both winter and summer. The cost of living in these areas is a little high, but worth it! Also, check out Hanover NH, Lebanon NH, not West Lebanon!!! Enfield NH is pretty. Lots of farms and quiet territory, plus you only have to drive about 10 minutes to Lebanon for shopping. Enfield lies on I-89 so getting to Mass is a straight shot south which is helpful. There are a lot of nice places to reside in NH, you just have to look and ask real estate agents and tell them what you are looking for and what you're not looking for. NH or VT is a great choice!
Where are you finding that information? Manchester and Nashua have a few areas that are not great, but both of the cities have very nice areas. Believe it or not, the crime rate in Nashua and Manchester are below the US average. I've included your city for comparison's sake.

//www.city-data.com/city/Colora...-Colorado.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Manche...Hampshire.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Nashua-New-Hampshire.html

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM

7 posts, read 55,849 times
I remember in the 80's NH had a large influx of m*******s that bought condos and commuted to boston. I've lived in both NH and mass as well as RI and even though the money is better in MA- I would choose NH anyday.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 11,827 times
Each of NH's communities will appeal to many and repulse others. In other words, there's something good and bad to say about them all, and what makes one city/town wonderful for one person might make it horrible for another. I've made a very rough list of community "types" below, and listed some towns that fall into those categories ---------->

Cosmopolitan atmosphere - Portsmouth, parts of Manchester

Small cities - Concord, Keene, Dover, Laconia, Lebanon

Suburbs - Amherst, Hopkinton, New Boston, Bedford, Hollis, South Hampton, Kingston, Kensington,
Greenland, Bow, Goffstown

Small towns with quaint centers and a good community spirit - Francestown, Warner, New London, Henniker, Peterborough, Durham, Walpole, New Castle, Rye, Plymouth, Exeter, Hanover, Littleton

Quaint and tiny towns - Temple, Nelson, Harrisville, Dublin, Fitzwilliam, Westmoreland, Surry, Plainfield/Meriden, Lyme, Canterbury, Gilmanton, Salisbury, Sutton Mills, Sanbornton, Eaton, Freedom

Scenic, woodsy and extreeeemely country - Sandwich, Tamworth, Landaff, Lyman, Monroe, Haverhill, Warren, anything north of US Route 2

Scenic, somewhat touristy - Meredith, Wolfeboro, Gilford, The Conways, Jackson, Sugar Hill/Franconia, Gilford, Bretton Woods, Newbury, Moultonborough, Woodstock

Politically, I've found NHers to be unusually intelligent, practical and nuanced in their views, and tolerant of others' opinions. They're not the ideological wingnuts you hear about on MSNBC and Fox News. That said, my impression (and only my impression) is that the most conservative communities in southern NH are probably Bedford/Amherst/Merrimack, Windham/Salem and the area around Laconia, whereas the most liberal are probably Portsmouth/Dover/Durham, Keene, Concord, Warner, Hanover/Lebanon, and Peterborough. I don't know enough about northern NH to speculate about its politics.

All this having been said, most people I've met from Franklin, Suncook (Allenstown/Hooksett/Pembroke) and Pittsfield tend to want to move somewhere else.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
I need to get outta Manchester and move to a quiet suburb.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s01 View Post
Good to know. No kids yet- but possibly in near future...
Thanks for the info! I just hope there is not a mass exodus (scuse the pun) of folks from Mass. into NH...fear for the politics in NH then...eee..

30 years too late wish....

Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 AM

30 posts, read 106,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamamm View Post
I've only read the first few pages here, but I'm a bit confused about the poll at the top of the page... Concord is in the southern-most part of the state. To separate NH into "North of Concord" and "Concord and South" doesn't make any sense. Almost the entire state is north of Concord. Unless you're actually asking if it's better to live on the border, or to live elsewhere in the state?? I just don't get it. Is this thread just about southern NH?

I'm with you. Seperating NH into North of Concord/South of Concord is a bit misleading. The southern NH region itself is comprised of a number of diverse regions ranging from rurual, suburban to urban, with all the benefits and problems that entails. To me, northern NH is where you go on vacation.

Even the border towns with MA are diverse in their characteristics. You have hellholes like Salem/Nashua to pricey areas like Hollis and Brookline, but both major commuter areas for those working in MA. So it depends on what you can afford and what you are looking for in a community. Same goes for the Seacoast area.

I work in Portsmouth, but when it came time to buy a house a few years ago, all I could afford was Rochester. OMG what a mistake. This is the crappiest town with the nastiest, trashiest 'residents' you will ever find. With exceptions, of course. But if anyone is looking at moving to this town, DON'T. (Unless you want to buy my house)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire