Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM

176 posts, read 299,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer12 View Post
Parental "rights" do not include putting your kids in danger. These children were very young. No parent in their right mind would would allow their young kids to walk along the road alone. Kids walking alone are snatched every day.
Kids are left in cars on hot days, trapped in a burning building, drowning in a pool or at the beach, etc., all because the parents aren't watching over them. If the parents won't put the welfare of their kids before their own selfish "look at me, I'm so progressive I let my kids do whatever they want" attitude, then it's up to every one of us to step in and do the job.
Haha, what? Violent crime continues to trend downwards, and according to the National Center for Exploited Children, only 118 children in 1999 were victims of "classical kidnappings", as opposed to over 200000 abducted by their families.

Buying into the fear sold by media and government is why Neanderthal TSA employees have to see me naked before I fly to Florida, with the option to give me a free prostate exam, it's why there are pushes to do away with owning anything more deadly than a cap pistol (only in bright orange, please), and why children can't be trusted to walk down the street a mile before parents get thrown in jail.

I've met the kind of child you want us to raise, and I'd much rather my children run the miniscule risk of a van-driving pedo asking them to find his puppy, (and, being well-taught, telling him to shove his fake lost puppy where the TSA will find it), then have them grow into the weaklings that I've had to deal with, can't even open a savings account without mommy holding their hand.

These kids were 8 and 10, how old is old enough to walk a mile down a sidewalk in a nice suburban neighborhood, and why do you get to be the one to decide the number? How much longer before you get to tell me what I can feed my children? Teach them about life? How will you feel when CPS comes to cart you away because you gave your kid a glass of Kool-aid? Life is not scary enough that you need to cripple your child's sense of independence, and certainly not scary enough you need to cripple my children's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:53 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,549,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Haha, what? Violent crime continues to trend downwards, and according to the National Center for Exploited Children, only 118 children in 1999 were victims of "classical kidnappings", as opposed to over 200000 abducted by their families.

Buying into the fear sold by media and government is why Neanderthal TSA employees have to see me naked before I fly to Florida, with the option to give me a free prostate exam, it's why there are pushes to do away with owning anything more deadly than a cap pistol (only in bright orange, please), and why children can't be trusted to walk down the street a mile before parents get thrown in jail.

I've met the kind of child you want us to raise, and I'd much rather my children run the miniscule risk of a van-driving pedo asking them to find his puppy, (and, being well-taught, telling him to shove his fake lost puppy where the TSA will find it), then have them grow into the weaklings that I've had to deal with, can't even open a savings account without mommy holding their hand.

These kids were 8 and 10, how old is old enough to walk a mile down a sidewalk in a nice suburban neighborhood, and why do you get to be the one to decide the number? How much longer before you get to tell me what I can feed my children? Teach them about life? How will you feel when CPS comes to cart you away because you gave your kid a glass of Kool-aid? Life is not scary enough that you need to cripple your child's sense of independence, and certainly not scary enough you need to cripple my children's.
Amen to that!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
By the time I was 8 years old I was the designated neighborhood rat hunter. When I had time I would walk to the local open dump and snipe at rats with a single shot .22 rifle. I got good at it and never ran out of rats. My parents were nowhere to be seen. My mom was doing house work or a part time job and my step father was either at work or too drunk to pay attention.

The current generation of kids are too heavily supervised. They will never learn to appreciate the adventure of walking through the woods by themselves. Kids do not need continuous supervision. They need to be trusted to take care of themselves. Most kids can and will do a good job of it.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
By the time I was 8 years old I was the designated neighborhood rat hunter. When I had time I would walk to the local open dump and snipe at rats with a single shot .22 rifle. I got good at it and never ran out of rats. My parents were nowhere to be seen. My mom was doing house work or a part time job and my step father was either at work or too drunk to pay attention.

The current generation of kids are too heavily supervised. They will never learn to appreciate the adventure of walking through the woods by themselves. Kids do not need continuous supervision. They need to be trusted to take care of themselves. Most kids can and will do a good job of it.
And this from my liberal friend! Kudos Greg.

Not particularly a perfect atmosphere you described to grow up in but you know what? Life was rarely perfect for most of us growing up.. we even had ( GASP) bullies! I hear about the horrors of cyber bullying and think to myself.. I had a guy repeatedly smash a shovel into my neck..gee I should have offed myself in light of such cruelty..either that or grow a backbone.. oh wait that's what I did.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 PM

And yet I oppose Tanning by children because it is far more dangerous than it appears. It took this pale skinned guy too long to realize that a tan was my skin's way of trying to protect me from UV radiation. I know a "healthy" tan is fashionable. I believe it is a class thing but I won't bother with that rant. The problem is it is not healthy for some people because it really can cause skin cancer and cancer is not ever healthy.

I wish these tanning salons did not exist but as they do I believe they should be regulated to exclude impressionable children. If they want to risk cancer by smoking, chewing or snuffing tobacco that is their choice. So is baking themselves in a tanning broiler. Adults can do whatever they want. Hell, as a liberal I am even willing to pay their medical bills just so the medical people will be there if I need them again.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
And yet I oppose Tanning by children because it is far more dangerous than it appears. It took this pale skinned guy too long to realize that a tan was my skin's way of trying to protect me from UV radiation. I know a "healthy" tan is fashionable. I believe it is a class thing but I won't bother with that rant. The problem is it is not healthy for some people because it really can cause skin cancer and cancer is not ever healthy.

I wish these tanning salons did not exist but as they do I believe they should be regulated to exclude impressionable children. If they want to risk cancer by smoking, chewing or snuffing tobacco that is their choice. So is baking themselves in a tanning broiler. Adults can do whatever they want. Hell, as a liberal I am even willing to pay their medical bills just so the medical people will be there if I need them again.

I think tanning salons are stupid, I think it is all about ego, I think it is a waste of money, but I don't think they government should have any say on what a parent allows their teens to do that is not a danger to anyone else and that is used moderately probably will not to be a danger to them either, that is between them.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM

I am not opposed to the parents allowing their kids to indulge but I do not think many teens can resist peer pressure to do stupid things. Among other things this legislation protects the tanning Salons from responsibility if the kid used a fake id to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire