Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire: Portsmouth, downtown, hotel, traffic, live Maine lobster.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 PM

132 posts, read 350,829 times

Advertisements

We got back from our trip this past Sunday and we had a great time! It was the first vacation that DH and I had absolutely nothing to do!! Usually we have plans to do, see, go somewhere, but we didn't this time. We were up there during the primary frenzy, but I think the campaigners could pretty much guess that we weren't locals and left us alone!! We did have to stand in the midst of Hilary signs to take pics in front of the ice sculptures at the church downtown. This is only the 2nd time that DH has been in snow, the 1st time was in Montana, so on the first night when we were trying to walk around downtown without our layers on he said through chattering teeth "I see now what you meant by the difference between the dry Motana cold and the wet New England cold. I leaned against a doorway and chattered "we need to find a restaurant quick, or at least go back to the hotel to layer up". Turns out that I was leaning against one of the diners that has been greatly recommended on this board...The Friendly Toast!!(thanks VAL!!) That made my night. The food was great...and the servers were young and overwhelmed just like you guys said We also went to Kittery for Warren's Lobsta House. Again the food was great. I was a bit surprised to see that lobster was $14 more expensive for a 2 pounder there than at my hubby's restaurant down here (they fly the lobsters here live from Maine) It was still great. We hit the Kittery outlets to look for winter clothes for the kids for our trip next month. Try finding warm clothes down here in the Sunshine State! We scored at the ?Kittery Trading Post? I think that's what it was called...We hit all of the little shops downtown...Had great food and BEER at the Portsmouth Brewery...The best home made cashew turtles and raspberry gel chocolates at the local chocolate factory, some Irish trinkets and such from the Celtic Crossing. Yummy Maine blueberry jelly, marmalades, relishes, etc...from Stonewall, NH maple candy from LeRoux, excellent sandwichs at Me & Ollies, and on and on...It's funny how packing for the trip up is always easier We tried to get to Geno's Chowder Shop and ended up in Rye, twice That's a scary, dark bridge at night when it is drizzling and there is snow on the sides of the road! We did eventually find it and it was closed Side note to SUZET...don't worry about the driving. I was quite frightened about driving as hubby has never driven in snow and I haven't driven in it since I was a teen so it's been a couple years okay a few...that's 3 or more right?... The roads were great! Plowed right down to the pavement, no ice, great job to the NH road crews!! People drove very responsibly and it was busy for NH, as the hotels had quite a few bookings because of the primaries (Obama was at Pease the night we flew in, we were gone before we even knew he was arriving). As for traffic, it is probably comparable to driving around your neighborhood Suzet It's all relative to what you're used to. We had a great time!!! The only downfall, besides having to come back to this state, is that we got the doggy white chocolate dipped milk bones and now he refuses to eat his plain ones Can't wait til next month, we have a whole week to spend there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:59 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,958,407 times
It sounds like you and your hubby had a great time even with all the craziness that was going on. Haha, yeah the driving has me concerned, but I am sure we will adapt to it like anything else. I am hoping to be able to still come out there in March, but my husband is soo busy with his job (advertising) I am worried we wont make it out there. So of course I am all jealous of anyone who gets to go for a visit. Lol.

I bet my dogs would love to get some of those white chocolate dipped dog bones!! They sell them here too at the ritzy pet stores, along with doggie bon bons and such.

The cold is something that my hubby isnt too thrilled with. He is talking about buying a home in Keene and we can do the bi-coastal thing. Haha, he would only live in NH for like 3 months and spend the rest of the time in So Cali. My daughter and I love the cold and the rain. I would love it, cuz I would be able to escape the dreaded heat here!!

I am glad you had a good time kelleybell.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleybell00 View Post
We also went to Kittery for Warren's Lobsta House. Again the food was great. I was a bit surprised to see that lobster was $14 more expensive for a 2 pounder there than at my hubby's restaurant down here (they fly the lobsters here live from Maine)
That's because the chef has to lean out the window and pluck the lobster off a passing boat himself.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:34 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Glad your trip went well Kelleybell And sorry you paid so much at Warren's for the lobsta, but it's worth it to get fresh Maine lobsters (did you feel how relaxed they were, since they didn't have to go thru the trauma of flying LOL)
Once you're living up here, you'll discover that lobster is best served from your own kitchen, out to the picnic table in the back yard, along with some steamers, corn on the cob and macaroni salad

I'm SO glad you found The Friendly Toast, especially since it was just what you needed at that time. Isn't the menu just fantastic?? I love that place, one of my all-time favorite resturants, and not just for the food, but the waitstaff as well (though I feel my age more when surrounded by all those young hip people!) I'm certainly not a vegan either, but I could easily become one if there were more places like that to go to. Are the Chinese Fu Dogs still there? It's been quite awhile since I've had a chance to get there... Maybe next weekend!!

For your winter clothes, check out L.L.Bean: Over 150 New Products - Outerwear, Swimwear and More online--there should be LOTS of sales. I'll be checking the outlet store this week, hopefully will be able to get some good deals for next winter's coats, etc. The outlet's in Manchester, less than an hour away from Portsmouth, maybe you could take a ride on your next trip

Thank you for posting about your trip. It's always fun to hear of somebody else's adventures in what we think of in our own back yard

Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 AM

132 posts, read 350,829 times
Val- I didn't see the Chinese Fu Dogs, but there was alot of atmosphere to take in! I do see what you mean about the vegan options. My husband (more meat than potatoes) looked at me with eyes wide and said " it's all vegetarian" which isn't true. He just couldn't see the roast beef through the corn. Everywhere we went we ordered different things then split them and he did have meat on his sandwiches and LOVED them. As for the lobsters, I didn't experience sticker shock, it was just a surprising observation. As for the steamers...DH started with a huge pile and followed those with 2 or 3 other kinds. I only like my clams in NE chowder!!
Rmcewan- For $14 bucks a pop plus the cost of jet fuel I'll pluck the lobstas for the chefs myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire