Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 AM

335 posts, read 1,533,818 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to settle. Last weekend I visited Brattleborro and Keene. This weekend, I'm going to Portsmouth.

I'll probably spend the day there, have lunch, etc.

Any suggestions on what to check out?

How big is Portsmouth compared to Keene. How are the rents? Is it a nice place to walk around? How far from Boston?

Thanks,

C.J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Portsmouth is very nice. It is more expensive than Keene-quite expensive.

Portsmouth has a very nice downtown-nice shops, places to eat. I would check it out. If time permits and it is something you are interested in a drive on Rt1 or Rt1A and check out Rye Beach etc. Maybe if you go back again and have more time you could check out Kitterty /York Maine as well. The whole area is very nice.

I am sure that Valerie C and others will agree to check out Friendly Toast. It is a funky eclectic place to eat and I think the food is wonderful. Very yummy breakfasts and just a neat place to eat in.

Have fun exploring

Nicole

Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 AM

Is Friendly Toast a good place for breakfast?

How are rents? Are they right up their with Boston?

What I like about Portsmouth is that it is more central to Boston, MA and Portland, ME.

I'm in Western MA at the moment and it is a bit isolated here. I have to drive a long way to get to a decent shopping mall. Keene felt like a college town. I was not that impressed with Keene.... but it was okay. I just feel I should really check out as much as possible.

Also, what is the cost of housing in Portsmouth? Anywhere that I can buy a home for $200,000.

Thanks everyone,

C.J.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
Portsmouth is expensive but certainly not as expensive as Boston. It should be about an hour from both Portland and Portsmouth. I don't remember if you said you have kids, but schools are something to think about. You might like Exeter, which is close to Portsmouth, has a nice downtown and a well-educated population (because of Phillips Exeter Academy and a lot of yuppies). I enjoy walking around Portsmouth, but there are also a lot of cultural activities (film festival, music hall, theater.) Definitely drive through New Castle and down the shore just to see how beautiful they are. For shopping malls, there's one in Newington. For organic food, check out Philbrick's Fresh Market. Have fun!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post

What I like about Portsmouth is that it is more central to Boston, MA and Portland, ME.

I'm in Western MA at the moment and it is a bit isolated here. I have to drive a long way to get to a decent shopping mall. Keene felt like a college town. I was not that impressed with Keene.... but it was okay. I just feel I should really check out as much as possible.

Also, what is the cost of housing in Portsmouth? Anywhere that I can buy a home for $200,000.

Thanks everyone,

C.J.
Yes Friendly Toast is a great place for breakfast-many here on the forum enjoy it and reccomend it. I haven't been in a while- I have to get back soon!

Yes Portsmouth is a great location-near Maine, the ocean, Boston and you can even hop on Rt 16 to head up to Mt Washington-North Conway area.

As far as housing I will let others who are more familiar with the specifics chime in. I do know it can be quite pricey especially near the water and new construction.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
With a name like carrot juice, I think you'll love The Friendly Toast. If you like a fun, funky menu, w/ more veggie/vegan options than most other places, you'll love it. It is by far my favorite place to go for breakfast or lunch. And if you're into the 3AM breakfast, that's available too, on weekends.

Rents in Portsmouth are nowhere what Boston is, but they expensive by NH standards. And they do tend to move fairly quickly.

Shopping, as noted, would be the Fox Run in Newington.

Prices on homes, truly depends on what you're looking for (single fam vs. condo, bedroom count, square footage, neighborhood, etc) Asking prices on single family start over 200K, however "sold" prices can be substantially less. Our New Hampshire MLS website is Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS, and there is a search feature there. And you can always ask your friendly neighborhood NH Realtor to research prices for you...

Glad that you checked out Keene to see if the fit was right. For some, it's heaven, for others, not so much... Have fun!!

Quote:

Thanks everyone,

C.J.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the help and friendly advice. By the way, I do not have kids. I'm a single woman.

Carrot Juice

Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the help and friendly advice. By the way, I do not have kids. I'm a single woman.

Carrot Juice
Have fun and make sure you post about your trip to Portsmouth!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
If you need shoes, good quality, check out either Footnotes on Market or Footnotes 2 (can't recall where that is). I always bought my shoes there when I lived nearby and sometimes even when I lived far away.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
If you need shoes, good quality, check out either Footnotes on Market or Footnotes 2 (can't recall where that is). I always bought my shoes there when I lived nearby and sometimes even when I lived far away.
I have a new rule. I only buy clothes at places nearby enough where I can return them when I change my mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire