Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,247 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to NH and was looking at Somersworth as a possibility until I noticed the crime statistics are significantly higher compared to the rest of New Hampshire. Why is the crime higher in Somersworth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 06:19 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Former mill/factory town where the industry has mostly left. Lots of Section 8 housing. Run-down downtown. Gets a little of the Rochester effect since it's right next door. I consider Somersworth to be the next Rochester, and that's not a good thing. My in-laws live in Somersworth, but in the rural part near the Dover border. It's nice there, so as always YMMV depending on where you decide to live in the city.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Somersworth Mayor Fires Back After City Ranked 'Most Dangerous in New Hampshire'

Keep in mind that most surveys say that New Hampshire is the safest state in the country.

Somersworth is a small town and the numbers are probably skewed by a few unfortunate homicides in recent years.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:09 AM

70 posts, read 70,451 times
I have lived in Somersworth for two years. I have also spent many years in Manchester and in Keene (other "cities" though quite different from each other). The one time I was a victim of a crime (home burglary) was in Keene. I have not noticed much of a difference as far as crime and overall quality of life in Somersworth compared to Manchester and Keene. There are good parts and less desireable parts in virtually all cities. I see a good police presence in the area. The most common police call seems to be for car accidents on busy Route 9.

I too heard about "higher crime" in Somersworth. But having lived happily in a very nice part of Manchester, I have learned that you cannot paint any city with a broad brush.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 AM

323 posts, read 346,368 times
My husband and I relocated to the seacoast from Texas two years ago (and are now reloing to AZ), and we purchased in Somersworth. We lived on W. High and I can say that as busy as that part of town was and as well-known as our house was, we never had a problem. I'm sure there was stuff going on in the downtown area because it did look a little sketchy there, but in the neighborhood we were in, it was fine. We had a security system installed for our own piece of mind, but we have done that in our prior homes too.

I wouldn't let the stories you read deter you, just look at certain areas in Somersworth and you should be fine. A lot of nice well-priced properties are there (including ours!) that would be nearly double their cost in Dover and the town is investing in the school systems so that's a huge positive too. Drive around and take a look at the neighborhoods. They are nice there. Then you can make the decision for yourself. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:27 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
I wouldn't let the stories you read deter you, just look at certain areas in Somersworth and you should be fine. A lot of nice well-priced properties are there (including ours!) that would be nearly double their cost in Dover and the town is investing in the school systems so that's a huge positive too. Drive around and take a look at the neighborhoods. They are nice there. Then you can make the decision for yourself. Good luck!
There are certain areas of Somersworth that are nice but if you have kids they all feed into the same school system. They can invest all they want in the schools but the demographics of the city aren't changing. Throwing money at schools won't solve Somersworth's problems....

Old 10-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
There are certain areas of Somersworth that are nice but if you have kids they all feed into the same school system. They can invest all they want in the schools but the demographics of the city aren't changing. Throwing money at schools won't solve Somersworth's problems....
I agree Steve, but it is a start. The should be working to get the rifraf out of the town and that means bringing industry to the town and putting tighter regulations on housing. There are towns all across New England that city council and the chamber of commerce can visit to see how they handled the situation, but I think a lot of ppl want to just turn a blind eye to it. Once they actually face the music of the area and begin the hard task of pushing the negative folks out, it will be a really nice little town.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:50 AM

477 posts, read 899,975 times
I grew up in the n that town. In fact, grew up with the current mayor. Good friends since kindergarten. All I can tell you is I got out as soon as possible and feel depressed every time I go back.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
I grew up in the n that town. In fact, grew up with the current mayor. Good friends since kindergarten. All I can tell you is I got out as soon as possible and feel depressed every time I go back.
I feel that way about my hometown too...refining community in Texas and absolutely HORRIBLE. They actually used our downtown for Robocop back in the 80s/90s because it naturally looked like a place that had already been bombed. How sad is that?

We didn't have a drug problem...well, we did, but it wasn't as bad as gang violence, crime (home break-ins, assaults, rapes, etc.) and very bad pollution. My family moved away to a beautiful small town in central Texas when I went off to college at 18 and we never looked back. Sadly, out of my graduating class of 500, only ~5-8 of us got out for good.

Now that I think of it, maybe because I grew up around something so much worse, that's why Somersworth didn't seem so bad to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire