Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:22 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
I welcome anyone who wants to move to NH for the FSP. Need more people like that to counter the people who move here and make NH less free.
Who is moving here and making NH less free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Who is moving here and making NH less free?
Mostly liberals from MA...they vote the same way as they did in MA, for more government and regulation.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:10 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Mostly liberals from MA...they vote the same way as they did in MA, for more government and regulation.
I'd like to see data on this. Anecdotally, my NH coworkers tend to be more socially progressive than their MA counterparts, who tend to vary between conservative democrat to far right. The born and bread NH residents are more closely aligned with VT independents, who are generally progressive on social issues but big on personal freedoms, e.g., gun ownership.

But a sample size of 60 isn't adequate.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 AM

77 posts, read 124,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Movers from MA get somewhat of a bad rap. Most that I've met left MA for a reason and are not bringing MA ways with them... there are of course exceptions. Honestly the VT border is a little more troublesome.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 14,438 times
My husband and I are moving in a few months because of the FSP and we can't wait! In addition to the FSP, we are moving because we miss all four seasons and want to be a bit closer to friends and family in NY.

We honeymooned in Goffstown/Manchester last October to check out our soon to be hometown and we are in LOVE. We were sick so we didn't get to explore much, but it is gorgeous! We stayed in a cabin on Mount Uncanoonuc...incredible to say the least!

We are originally from Rochester, NY. We moved to Charleston,SC in late 2014. Charleston is fantastic, but the cost of living has drastically risen in the short time we've been here. (Sales tax rose to 9% in Charleston Co.!) And....everyone has the same idea to move to the Southeast these days. (Averaging 43 people a day here..) It is extremely congested and getting worse every day. Decent jobs are hard to come by unless you know someone or have a masters degree in a completely irrelevant field. The job market is much more stable in NH and wages come closer to the cost of living up north.

Right after we got down here, we heard about the Free State Project. If we had heard about the FSP before moving south, NH would've been home two years ago. As for wanting to change NH to how we see fit, no way! There is a reason why people are leaving NY and other states...to get AWAY from that latte sipping', keeping up with the Jones' , cookie-cutter culture that so many parts of the nation are being consumed by...along with high taxes. We are sick of seeing paradise being paved to put up parking lots...I know there are a lot of people that probably want those shopping centers and their 'norm' to come to their new home/region, but personally, we embrace the history and locality of everything. Older is better and small is best. It just keeps everything simple and really gives back to the majority, not corporate America.

We are ambitious people that want to be as self-sufficient as possible, fix historical homes, help save some animals, grow our own food, give back to the community, and embrace nature as much as possible in our lifetime. We are extremely down to earth people that just want to be around more like-minded folks. (Power in numbers will do liberty good...) I can't say anything regarding other movers' income, but we are not made of money by any means, we are just smart with what we have. We'd rather live somewhere where our dollar goes a bit farther and more stays in our paycheck.

I have heard there are some people out there ruining the reputation of the FSP by taking it to extremes with their actions in certain communities, but from the groups I follow, I really think most of the FSP followers are just kind, genuine people that have a passion for protecting themselves and all of our liberties and really getting the message of liberty to the nation that so many people seem to be disconnected from. It isn't about pushing an agenda either, it's more of a reminder of rights that have always been there that .gov hopes we all forget. They even have a 'welcome wagon' of people that help you move your stuff and bring pizza! That type of hospitality is almost unheard of...and a good chunk of those people are the transplants themselves. That definitely says something about the character of some of the people coming into NH.

For us, it isn't about trying changing anything, it's about protecting our liberties and really just being respectful to the people in our new community, wherever that may be, and everything else in it. NH is a place where the residents have really held on to their rights and privacy and they aren't afraid to speak out if .gov tries to step on toes. We have a lot of respect for everything NH is and we can't wait to be a part of it. I know this may not be the opinion or mentality of everyone involved with the FSP, but I hope that helps give you some insight from an 'almost' NH/ FSP resident!

Cheers to Constitutional Carry passing in the NH house!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_NH View Post
Movers from MA get somewhat of a bad rap. Most that I've met left MA for a reason and are not bringing MA ways with them... there are of course exceptions. Honestly the VT border is a little more troublesome.
I agree. I'm not saying everyone from MA that moves to NH wants to turn it into MA North. I'm just saying that some do. Just answering Deb's question from my perspective.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:55 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
I don't get how people think they can bring their own agenda to NH, whether it's FSP, social liberalism, or something else, and think they're not out to change things here, particularly after deciding they want to associate with the other "tranplants" here.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 PM

77 posts, read 124,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizabeth View Post
My husband and I are moving in a few months because of the FSP and we can't wait! In addition to the FSP, we are moving because we miss all four seasons and want to be a bit closer to friends and family in NY.

Welcome. Can't wait to have you here --- from a non FSP participant....

Old 02-10-2017, 06:34 PM

385 posts, read 345,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I don't get how people think they can bring their own agenda to NH, whether it's FSP, social liberalism, or something else, and think they're not out to change things here, particularly after deciding they want to associate with the other "tranplants" here.
That would depend on what one believes New Hampshire's natural state of being is and/or originally was. New Hampshire has a reputation of "Live free or die" so it's logical to believe that its natural state is minimal government interference at all levels. Maybe some come thinking they will help bring NH back to its roots.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 PM

500 posts, read 636,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizabeth View Post

We honeymooned in Goffstown/Manchester last October to check out our soon to be hometown and we are in LOVE. We were sick so we didn't get to explore much, but it is gorgeous! We stayed in a cabin on Mount Uncanoonuc...incredible to say the least!

We are originally from Rochester, NY. We moved to Charleston,SC in late 2014. Charleston is fantastic, but the cost of living has drastically risen in the short time we've been here. (Sales tax rose to 9% in Charleston Co.!) And....everyone has the same idea to move to the Southeast these days. (Averaging 43 people a day here..) It is extremely congested and getting worse every day. Decent jobs are hard to come by unless you know someone or have a masters degree in a completely irrelevant field. The job market is much more stable in NH and wages come closer to the cost of living up north.

Right after we got down here, we heard about the Free State Project. If we had heard about the FSP before moving south, NH would've been home two years ago. As for wanting to change NH to how we see fit, no way! There is a reason why people are leaving NY and other states...to get AWAY from that latte sipping', keeping up with the Jones' , cookie-cutter culture that so many parts of the nation are being consumed by...along with high taxes. We are sick of seeing paradise being paved to put up parking lots...I know there are a lot of people that probably want those shopping centers and their 'norm' to come to their new home/region, but personally, we embrace the history and locality of everything. Older is better and small is best. It just keeps everything simple and really gives back to the majority, not corporate America.

We are ambitious people that want to be as self-sufficient as possible, fix historical homes, help save some animals, grow our own food, give back to the community, and embrace nature as much as possible in our lifetime. We are extremely down to earth people that just want to be around more like-minded folks. (Power in numbers will do liberty good...) I can't say anything regarding other movers' income, but we are not made of money by any means, we are just smart with what we have. We'd rather live somewhere where our dollar goes a bit farther and more stays in our paycheck.

I have heard there are some people out there ruining the reputation of the FSP by taking it to extremes with their actions in certain communities, but from the groups I follow, I really think most of the FSP followers are just kind, genuine people that have a passion for protecting themselves and all of our liberties and really getting the message of liberty to the nation that so many people seem to be disconnected from. It isn't about pushing an agenda either, it's more of a reminder of rights that have always been there that .gov hopes we all forget. They even have a 'welcome wagon' of people that help you move your stuff and bring pizza! That type of hospitality is almost unheard of...and a good chunk of those people are the transplants themselves. That definitely says something about the character of some of the people coming into NH.

For us, it isn't about trying changing anything, it's about protecting our liberties and really just being respectful to the people in our new community, wherever that may be, and everything else in it. NH is a place where the residents have really held on to their rights and privacy and they aren't afraid to speak out if .gov tries to step on toes. We have a lot of respect for everything NH is and we can't wait to be a part of it. I know this may not be the opinion or mentality of everyone involved with the FSP, but I hope that helps give you some insight from an 'almost' NH/ FSP resident!

Glad you guys are moving to NH!! I love it here too and came to NH for many of the same reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire