Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 04:26 PM

81 posts, read 88,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
I just want to make sure that my reading comprehension has not failed me completely.

You didn't have $1100 for the car repair, but had $$ to buy a new car and not even trade in your old car but simply give it away??

Oh lordy lordy lordy - help me keep my mouth shut!
My SO other bought it for me and I can make the $200 car payment. We felt it would be wise to get a newer car at this point. My brother also was in need of a car and he knows how to fix my car so it worked out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
Inspections are a scam. States that do them should be ashamed. Don't worry about my rust holes. If something bad happens because of the condition of someone else's car, let them deal with the consequences on that day. We all know 4 bald tires aren't safe. If someone wants to take the chance on them for a few extra weeks until they get money to afford them, that is none of my damn business, or yours. Stuff this nanny state mentality that plagues the northeast.
Until said person spins out because of their bald tires and hits an another car. It sucks until you have to breathe the air polluted by people who pulled the emission systems off of cars. But I agree with you some aspects of inspection are suspect.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:33 PM

540 posts, read 589,306 times
Quote:
Inspections are a scam. States that do them should be ashamed. Don't worry about my rust holes. If something bad happens because of the condition of someone else's car, let them deal with the consequences on that day. We all know 4 bald tires aren't safe. If someone wants to take the chance on them for a few extra weeks until they get money to afford them, that is none of my damn business, or yours. Stuff this nanny state mentality that plagues the northeast.

Live free or die right? Yeah, no.

BTW states that do not have inspections have no higher incidents of traffic accidents. Funny how that works, I guess people want to not crash on their own without the state forcing a scam inspection on them.
I agree with you

Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Your "Live Free" stops when the failed brakes on your clunker causes me, my friends or anyone else, to die. No matter how much responsibility you are willing to take your ability, as in insurance, is probably limited and not nearly enough to cover an accidental death.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:12 AM

623 posts, read 965,818 times
Quote:

Live free or die right? Yeah, no.

BTW states that do not have inspections have no higher incidents of traffic accidents. Funny how that works, I guess people want to not crash on their own without the state forcing a scam inspection on them.
You are correct. This is why 33 states have no inspection. Someone can just get by with almost bald tires and then drive 30,000 more till the next inspection. It comes down to personal safety
and doing the right thing

Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
You are correct. This is why 33 states have no inspection. Someone can just get by with almost bald tires and then drive 30,000 more till the next inspection. It comes down to personal safety
and doing the right thing
Well it's much more than personal safety. The public roads are so crowded that a car having an accident due to equipment failure is going to take out several other cars with them... and it also affects hundreds of other motorists when the accident causes severe road congestion and possible closures.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:44 PM

I'm sorry but the vibe I get from MANY (not all) people here on the forum is that if something is a law don't even question it no matter how silly or unnecessary or unproven it may be. You can make valid arguments till you're blue in the face to no avail. It's futile. Just because it is a law that means that it must be part of the ten commandments and spoken by God himself. How dare you even THINK of questioning it?
When most of us know in reality that many silly laws & regulations are in place to generate money and control people and really don't make a damn bit of difference if they were legal or illegal. If inspections suddenly went away would the people that claim to love them so much really cry about it and beg the powers that be to bring it back? I seriously doubt it. "Oh yeah I just love to be nickeled & dimed, let me give you some more of my money". For what? A false sense of security and a warm fuzzy feeling inside that just because cars are safety inspected you believe that you are GUARANTEED to never have some idiot crash into you? That's what insurance is for..
For example, people can so easily be trusted and given the GREAT RESPONSIBILITY to carry a firearm, but on the other hand can't be trusted to be responsible enough to make sure they're not driving around in an unsafe vehicle with bald tires? :rolls eyes:
No, big brother makes it mandatory to double check and make sure the responsible owner's car is "safe" AND charge you for it to boot. At the mercy of some shade tree mechanic that will upsell you on all kinds of unnecessary **** and tell some clueless person that their blinker fluid and muffler bearing needs to be changed or else they won't give them a precious safety inspection sticker. They should be ashamed of themselves.
A torn balljoint boot, a worn shock or a hole in your muffler is not going to be the sole cause of a 50 car pileup on the highway. There WILL be other factors involved. Let's just be honest here..
Sheep is all I'm saying. Sheep.
I thought it was Live free or Die
Yeah, the truth hurts. If you're scared, go to church.
You know I love you guys, but come on.

Now.. with all that said, what's everyone's opinion on jury nullification?

(Flame suit on)

Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 PM

125 posts, read 149,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
I'm sorry but the vibe I get from MANY (not all) people here on the forum is that if something is a law don't even question it no matter how silly or unnecessary or unproven it may be. You can make valid arguments till you're blue in the face to no avail. It's futile. Just because it is a law that means that it must be part of the ten commandments and spoken by God himself. How dare you even THINK of questioning it?
When most of us know in reality that many silly laws & regulations are in place to generate money and control people and really don't make a damn bit of difference if they were legal or illegal. If inspections suddenly went away would the people that claim to love them so much really cry about it and beg the powers that be to bring it back? I seriously doubt it. "Oh yeah I just love to be nickeled & dimed, let me give you some more of my money". For what? A false sense of security and a warm fuzzy feeling inside that just because cars are safety inspected you believe that you are GUARANTEED to never have some idiot crash into you? That's what insurance is for..
For example, people can so easily be trusted and given the GREAT RESPONSIBILITY to carry a firearm, but on the other hand can't be trusted to be responsible enough to make sure they're not driving around in an unsafe vehicle with bald tires? :rolls eyes:
No, big brother makes it mandatory to double check and make sure the responsible owner's car is "safe" AND charge you for it to boot. At the mercy of some shade tree mechanic that will upsell you on all kinds of unnecessary **** and tell some clueless person that their blinker fluid and muffler bearing needs to be changed or else they won't give them a precious safety inspection sticker. They should be ashamed of themselves.
A torn balljoint boot, a worn shock or a hole in your muffler is not going to be the sole cause of a 50 car pileup on the highway. There WILL be other factors involved. Let's just be honest here..
Sheep is all I'm saying. Sheep.
I thought it was Live free or Die
Yeah, the truth hurts. If you're scared, go to church.
You know I love you guys, but come on.

Now.. with all that said, what's everyone's opinion on jury nullification?

(Flame suit on)

Stated perfectly. Could not have said it better myself.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 PM

Thank you mrplow.
Now, I understand having NH pride and I'm all for that. But is having a safety inspection something to be proud of honestly? "I'm so happy and proud that the state forces me to take my car to some numbnut and pay them to go out of their way to find the most minute thing wrong with my car so they can stick it to me and I can get a cool little sticker that says that in the numbnut's "expert" SUBJECTIVE opinion my car is safe to drive on the road. Boy I feel so safe and invincible now.."
Would you say it's needless, outdated, sort of oppressive and maybe just a moneymaker?
Does it REALLY prevent as many incidents as some people believe? Would society change drastically if there was no mandatory inspection like 75% of other states? States that have rain and snow and ice just like NH does..
These are the questions we need to be asking.
This crap should be abolished. No need for it IMO.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:19 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Why are you moving here if you don't like our laws, roads, mechanics (who, BTW, have to attend a DMV class and pass a practical exam based on an objective written list of inspection points), or houses with no double vanities? Is it just so you can insult the sheep living here ad nauseum? Please tell us what town you're moving to so we can warn your future neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire