Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 08:08 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The Crosscheck System is so bad that in 2014 it flagged 7 million potential duplicates and found only 4 actual cases of dual registration/voting. It is supposed to capture middle name, suffixes, DOB, and last 4 digits of the SS number, yet an audit showed that a quarter of the list lacked middle name, ignored suffixes, and didn't show the SS info. If your name is Jose or Joseph Garcia, you would show up as a potential "double voter" in 27 states. The ERIC system is more effective but costly to join, implement, and run and requires states to reach out to eligible but unregistered voters. I'd be fine with the use of the latter.

As for the 30 days, sure. Most students move into the state in August and September and could easily register in time to vote in the November elections.

As for penalizing parents, remember it cuts both way. More than 51% of New Hampshire students go to college outside of the state - 5th highest in the country. Those families could easily be impacted just as harshly.

IMHO, the potential for voter fraud by students voting in two places is so small that preventing them from voting where they spend a majority of their time isn't worth the effort. There aren't enough of them to sway the outcome.
You're speaking calmly into a loud wind of intentional misinformation. A number of NH conservatives continue to fear "MA influence" being established within their state and this narrative fits nicely into that belief system. The state couldn't possibly have gone blue because 40-something white male voters thought Hillary was the more qualified candidate; i.e., all of my NH coworkers.

Ethically speaking, I wouldn't be opposed to NH having a 20 day registration limit like MA - it seems to impact few people negatively including the local college student population.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
While we may have had a substantial number of Massachusetts residents helping with the Democratic Party's GOTV efforts we did not have any Massachusetts voters in our election. We Democrats worked very hard to elect sensible candidates and, for most offices with the exception of the Governor and masses of State Representatives, we did so.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:00 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default If your Driver's License says NH by all means vote in New Hampshire

Quote:
As for penalizing parents, remember it cuts both way. More than 51% of New Hampshire students go to college outside of the state - 5th highest in the country. Those families could easily be impacted just as harshly.
I see no problem with encouraging NH students attending college outside the state to vote absentee in New Hampshire. If your Driver's License says NH, vote in NH, even if it means making the effort to vote absentee.

Quote:
IMHO, the potential for voter fraud by students voting in two places is so small that preventing them from voting where they spend a majority of their time isn't worth the effort. There aren't enough of them to sway the outcome.
Sorry, I kind of mixed the issues together there; out-of-state student voting is less about intentional double voting than about students with little actual attachment to the town/state they attend school in voting in local elections -- e.g. "the Dartmouth problem" mentioned on page 1 of the thread.

If I'm paying out-of-state tuition for my son to attend UCLA and claim him on my taxes, he ought to cast his vote in New Hampshire, not in California. And a student who is Californian for tax purposes but attending Dartmouth should cast an absentee ballot in California, not in Hanover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
While we may have had a substantial number of Massachusetts residents helping with the Democratic Party's GOTV efforts we did not have any Massachusetts voters in our election.
I'll bet you a thousand bucks a non-zero number of people with Massachusetts residency took New Hampshire ballots in the 2016 general election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We Democrats worked very hard to elect sensible candidates and, for most offices with the exception of the Governor and masses of State Representatives, we did so.
So snarky! To put the results in perspective, Democrats squeaked by Federal election in NH with at best a 1.9% margin of victory, but couldn't prevail in the state races; in the races which most directly impact NH residents, New Hampshire citizens voted Republican (or Libertarian, e.g. Max Abramson got 4.3% of the vote for Governor).

And of course the results for President and US Senator had nothing to do with the many independents and republicans who dislike Donald Trump and/or Kelly Ayotte, right?

Last edited by Nonesuch; 12-01-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 02:25 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I see no problem with encouraging NH students attending college outside the state to vote absentee in New Hampshire. If your Driver's License says NH, vote in NH, even if it means making the effort to vote absentee.

Sorry, I kind of mixed the issues together there; out-of-state student voting is less about intentional double voting than about students with little actual attachment to the town/state they attend school in voting in local elections -- e.g. "the Dartmouth problem" mentioned on page 1 of the thread.

If I'm paying out-of-state tuition for my son to attend UCLA and claim him on my taxes, he ought to cast his vote in New Hampshire, not in California. And a student who is Californian for tax purposes but attending Dartmouth should cast an absentee ballot in California, not in Hanover.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Unfortunately absentee voting isn't always easy for students. Delaware makes their students who go to school out of state have the application form notarized. Alabama requires the affidavit returned with the absentee ballot be notarized. Mississippi requires one to write a letter to their county commissioner requesting an absentee ballot - no form available.

WRT students having little actual attachment to the town/state, that may or may not be the case. One coudl say the same thing for renters as they could be gone in a year as well. As for that Dartmouth student who won the election for Grafton County Treasurer, I say shame on the voters in Grafton County. There are 5600 Dartmouth and 4100 Plymouth State students. 42,000 ballots were cast in the county. The student won by less than 600 votes. Even if all the students voted, that left about 12,000 county residents who voted for her.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:08 PM

385 posts, read 345,294 times
Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Unfortunately absentee voting isn't always easy for students. Delaware makes their students who go to school out of state have the application form notarized. Alabama requires the affidavit returned with the absentee ballot be notarized. Mississippi requires one to write a letter to their county commissioner requesting an absentee ballot - no form available.
Exactly how hard is it to get something notarized in NH? My bank (TD) in Florida offers it free for all account holders: I walk in, sit down at a customer service desk, hand over my ID, sign it, they stamp and sign it, and I walk out less than 5 minutes later. (Happily I see there are TD branches in NH)

Old 12-01-2016, 06:01 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
Exactly how hard is it to get something notarized in NH? My bank (TD) in Florida offers it free for all account holders: I walk in, sit down at a customer service desk, hand over my ID, sign it, they stamp and sign it, and I walk out less than 5 minutes later. (Happily I see there are TD branches in NH)
I presume you drove to that TD Bank or was it located on your college campus making it relatively easy to walk there in order to get the form notarized? My son is away at school and the nearest branch of his bank to campus is 2 miles away. IMHO, it's an unnecessary requirement that makes absentee voting more difficult.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:24 PM

Cool Colleges usually have a staff notary, and will notarize student's gov't documents free of charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
Exactly how hard is it to get something notarized in NH?
Trivial. About as difficult as registering for new license plates (and usually available at the same window in your town hall).

In the interest of encouraging visiting college students vote at home, I will offer free notarization to any full-time student at SNHU who needs this for their home state absentee ballot application (All the other colleges I checked have their own notary on staff).

Quote:
I presume you drove to that TD Bank or was it located on your college campus making it relatively easy to walk there in order to get the form notarized?
Every university deserving of the name has at least one Notary Public on campus (Saint Anselm has 4!), and will generally notarize gov't documents for their students at no charge.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 12-01-2016 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 PM

385 posts, read 345,294 times
Quote:
I presume you drove to that TD Bank or was it located on your college campus making it relatively easy to walk there in order to get the form notarized? My son is away at school and the nearest branch of his bank to campus is 2 miles away. IMHO, it's an unnecessary requirement that makes absentee voting more difficult.
Most colleges have shuttles that can take students in and out of town and around campus.

IMHO voting should be something seriously undertaken and all efforts to insure people are who they say they are, are not voting multiple times, and are voting where they officially are domiciled is worth the minimal effort required.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I would love to see a comparison between the voting patterns of same day registration voters and the voting patterns of NH voters in general. If there is a significant disparity that may indicate there is some sort of fraud involved.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 PM

Wink When I lived in Chicago, the majority of voter fraud was accomplished with absentee ballots.

There are quite a few ways to steal an election, some riskier than others, and few ever prosecuted. Abusing our election day registration by having outsiders come in and claim domicile is certainly the easiest way to get away with it in New Hampshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I would love to see a comparison between the voting patterns of same day registration voters and the voting patterns of NH voters in general. If there is a significant disparity that may indicate there is some sort of fraud involved.
We should see the New Hampshire SOS Elections Division finally publish the certified results, including "Election Day Registrations" (aka "same day registration) and provisional ballots, sometime next week.

If history is any guide, expect to see "Election Day Registrations" totaling about 3x Hillary's margin of victory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire