Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 AM

4,581 posts, read 5,713,739 times

Advertisements

I see Durham (home of UNH) had approximately 3,200 same date registration voters this year, but I can't find statewide or town-by-town totals for same-day voters, looks like NHSOS has still not published a count of how many election day registrations, nor a summary of provisional ballots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Journal
“Keeping your out-of-state driver’s license and keeping your residency status elsewhere, and yet, claiming your right to vote in New Hampshire is sending a wrong message about what it means to be an engaged New Hampshire citizen,” (Greg) Moore said. “The impact of state legislative races by people who have no intention of living here later can have a real impact in New Hampshire politics.”
NH legislature passed residency requirements in recent sessions, every time Maggie vetoed them. Governor-elect Chris Sununu supports 30-day residency and repeal of same-day registration. Federally, we need the IRS to make it clear that out-of-state college students registered to vote anywhere but their "home" state may not be claimed as dependents on parents federal tax return.

Trump claims NH election had 'Serious Voter Fraud', NHPR says no evidence to back that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPR
“We have received what I would consider the usual types of complaints during an election. They range everywhere from illegally placed campaign signs to people electioneering in an improper way at the polling place,” says Deputy Secretary of State Dave Scanlan. “There are some isolated instances of individual voters voting improperly. Those have been passed along to the attorney general’s office — and they’ll chase those down — but we haven’t had any complaints about any wide-scale voter fraud taking place.”
. . .
Of the hundreds of election-related emails and letters fielded by state officials this campaign season, Deputy Attorney General Ann Rice says just four might fall into the category of “wrongful voting.” (But she couldn't go into more detail, as the cases are still under investigation.)
I always find it amusing how these articles try to spin things as if the type of fraud being discussed is voter impersonation. Why would anybody try to vote as a pre-registered NH resident (even a dead one), when you can bring up a carload of your MA friends, have them declare their intent to live here (give your home address as their collective domicile), and register and vote on election day? Rarely detected, and unless your friends also vote in their home state, it's pretty much impossible to prosecute.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 11-29-2016 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 AM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,725,845 times
During the primary, there were carloads of Bernie Sanders supporters from Vermont that came across the river into NH, where they went house to house offering to drive people to the polls and telling everyone why they should vote for Bernie.

This isn't technically "voter fraud" merely manipulating the election. The third time a group showed up in my driveway that day, I informed them they were on private property and needed to leave, and received the classy middle finger in return.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 AM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,277,302 times
I did notice that most of the Hillary visits and rallies were held at UNH. I agree that out of state students shouldn't be casting their votes in the state that they are going to school in. Instead, let them mail their absentee votes to where they claim permanent residence. Especially with our electoral college system.

Otherwise, it's crazy how much voting power California has with its 55 electoral votes. They should be their own country.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,168,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
During the primary, there were carloads of Bernie Sanders supporters from Vermont that came across the river into NH, where they went house to house offering to drive people to the polls and telling everyone why they should vote for Bernie.

This isn't technically "voter fraud" merely manipulating the election. The third time a group showed up in my driveway that day, I informed them they were on private property and needed to leave, and received the classy middle finger in return.
It's not manipulating the election either. Annoying? Yes, but nothing more.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Otherwise, it's crazy how much voting power California has with its 55 electoral votes. They should be their own country.
Cali has roughly 12% of the U.S. population. Their electoral votes account for 10% of the total. Their voting power is fairly proportionate ... especially when compared to states like WY, ND, VT, etc.

But yeah, it's a massive state both in terms of land area and population.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I see Durham (home of UNH) had approximately 3,200 same date registration voters this year, but I can't find statewide or town-by-town totals for same-day voters, looks like NHSOS has still not published a count of how many election day registrations, nor a summary of provisional ballots?

NH legislature passed residency requirements in recent sessions, every time Maggie vetoed them. Governor-elect Chris Sununu supports 30-day residency and repeal of same-day registration. Federally, we need the IRS to make it clear that out-of-state college students registered to vote anywhere but their "home" state may not be claimed as dependents on parents federal tax return.

Trump claims NH election had 'Serious Voter Fraud', NHPR says no evidence to back that up.

I always find it amusing how these articles try to spin things as if the type of fraud being discussed is voter impersonation. Why would anybody try to vote as a pre-registered NH resident (even a dead one), when you can bring up a carload of your MA friends, have them declare their intent to live here (give your home address as their collective domicile), and register and vote on election day? Rarely detected, and unless your friends also vote in their home state, it's pretty much impossible to prosecute.
NH law allows for college students to determine they're domicile, which may or may not be NH. The very fact that it is legal means it is definitely not fraud.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:14 AM

4,581 posts, read 5,713,739 times
Lightbulb It's just a law, we can change it, and join the Interstate Voter Registration Crosscheck Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
NH law allows for college students to determine they're domicile, which may or may not be NH. The very fact that it is legal means it is definitely not fraud.
There are constitutionally sound ways to encourage out-of-state college students to register to vote in their home state. We can update our domicile law.

If an out-of-state student is really so attached to New Hampshire that she wants to vote for NH state and federal officials, surely she can afford to spend ten bucks for a state ID card good for 5 years?

I'd like to see anybody casting a vote in a Federal election in New Hampshire who cannot present a NH state ID nor NH driver's license be required to execute an affidavit stating "I affirm that I am not registered to vote in any other state or municipality, and hereby acknowledge that intentionally voting more than once in a federal election is a felony."

At a minimum, New Hampshire should join ERIC and/or Interstate Crosscheck.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM

219 posts, read 368,241 times
NH residents pay roughly half the rate out of state residents pay to attend UNH. It is very simple, if you are not eligible for in state tuition you are not a resident and are therefore should not be allowed to vote in NH.

By the way, UNH has roughly 15,000 students, less than half are eligible for in state tuition. A significant percentage also either attend UNHM or live off campus in Dover, Newmarket, etc. During my years at UNH the vast majority of the out of staters were more affluent and able to live on campus. The NH residents were more often scraping by in a cheaper apartment in dover or newmarket and would therefore not be voting in Durham.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:17 AM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,725,845 times
It may or may not be a bad thing to have college students voting in national elections in the town where they attend school, but it's worse in local and county elections. A few years ago, there was a Dartmouth college student who ran for the part-time position of Treasurer of Grafton County and was elected primarily by the votes of other Dartmouth students. She didn't show up for meetings, didn't show up to sign checks, and had to be tracked down when needed. Once she went home (Montana, I think) on school break, leaving checks that needed to be signed. The county executive committee had a non-binding vote asking for her resignation before she finally put in an appearance at monthly meetings.

But WTH, I'm sure her title looked good on her resume.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,868,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
NH residents pay roughly half the rate out of state residents pay to attend UNH. It is very simple, if you are not eligible for in state tuition you are not a resident and are therefore should not be allowed to vote in NH.

By the way, UNH has roughly 15,000 students, less than half are eligible for in state tuition. A significant percentage also either attend UNHM or live off campus in Dover, Newmarket, etc. During my years at UNH the vast majority of the out of staters were more affluent and able to live on campus. The NH residents were more often scraping by in a cheaper apartment in dover or newmarket and would therefore not be voting in Durham.
Agreed. How can someone be "out of state" for tuition purposes but "in state" for voting? Defies common sense....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire