Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
But it doesn't force off the road Jake braking, snowmobiles, off road bikes, diesel trucks, fireworks etc.. I am a little tired of the selective bashing of motorcycles especially when there are all those obnoxious little tuner cars running around, not to mention the sounds of screaming kids and drunk adults in their yards.
We get droves of motorcycles passing our house on the weekends in the warmer months. It's really awesome. I can accept one or two motorcycles at a time passing by, but when there is more than five, it's honestly terrible.

On the other hand, jake braking, off road bike, diesel trucks and fireworks are not an issue in our area. And we don't have much by the way of tuner cars either. Snowmobiles are a winter thing when our windows are closed, so a non-issue.

Anyway, last year a pack of motorcycles crashed into each other because they decided to show-off and accelerated into an intersection with a stop sign... go Darwin!!! Yeah, we hate motorcycle packs and their crappy road hogging attitudes. And yes please, continue not to wear helmets and your ladies not wearing skin protective gear (as it's so important to look sexy at all times).

Karma's a b*tch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:41 AM
miu

BTW in case my sarcasm didn't show through, I meant "awesome" as in awesomely awful.

I think that motorcycle packs are a bad idea in the same way as when large numbers of idle urban teens misbehave and turn into destructive and thieving flash mobs in shopping malls. A crowd psychology situation.

Plus the fact that having more motorcycles together intensifies the noise level of their loud mufflers... the noise level of one times the total number in the pack.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:52 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
We get droves of motorcycles passing our house on the weekends in the warmer months. It's really awesome. I can accept one or two motorcycles at a time passing by, but when there is more than five, it's honestly terrible.

On the other hand, jake braking, off road bike, diesel trucks and fireworks are not an issue in our area. And we don't have much by the way of tuner cars either. Snowmobiles are a winter thing when our windows are closed, so a non-issue.

Anyway, last year a pack of motorcycles crashed into each other because they decided to show-off and accelerated into an intersection with a stop sign... go Darwin!!! Yeah, we hate motorcycle packs and their crappy road hogging attitudes. And yes please, continue not to wear helmets and your ladies not wearing skin protective gear (as it's so important to look sexy at all times).

Karma's a b*tch.
What pack? As in a toy run or a bunch of yahoos on rice burners ( they get loud too ) I generally find sport bikes are more prone to show off but have seen a fair share of cruiser bikes do the same as to not wearing helmets..uh what will a helmet do? Before you answer statistically nothing because most mc injuries and fatalities result from lower extremity trauma.. karma? I don't know what that is.. sounds religious to me. Oh and Darwin has been proven wrong countless times..have a great day

Old 04-11-2017, 07:22 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
I am a critic of the "loud pipes saves lives" mantra. Typically, I can hear them only when they are in front of me as the exhaust points towards the back of the bike.

This evening, I had a loud pipe biker try to pass me on the left as I was turning left (yes my directional was on.) His exhaust was plenty load once he swerved right and went past me but I never heard him behind me.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I am a critic of the "loud pipes saves lives" mantra. Typically, I can hear them only when they are in front of me as the exhaust points towards the back of the bike.

This evening, I had a loud pipe biker try to pass me on the left as I was turning left (yes my directional was on.) His exhaust was plenty load once he swerved right and went past me but I never heard him behind me.
Please understand.. we have a loud exhaust law and even I cannot stand a non baffled bike ( or truck or car for that matter ) It is up to law enforcement to make sure everyone..cars, bikes, whatever abides by them., As to your observations about modified exhaust, I cannot speak on your experience but I can say that I hear the bikes behind me even through my own exhaust.
Yeah there are idiots on motorcycles, there are idiots everywhere.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I ride a 650 Burgman scooter with a very quiet exhaust. That does not seem to make the bike too slow to meet my requirements. I can and sometimes do ride above the speed limit on rural roads and can keep up with our 75 mph expressway traffic without making excessive noise.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
...as to not wearing helmets..uh what will a helmet do? Before you answer statistically nothing because most mc injuries and fatalities result from lower extremity trauma..
You're entitled to your opinion and to not wear a helmet, but statistically the actual facts don't back you up. Helmets save lives, and lower extremity trauma is way, way down the list of causes of death in motorcycle crashes in data compiled by NHTSA and medical literature.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812295
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/810856

Old 04-12-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You're entitled to your opinion and to not wear a helmet, but statistically the actual facts don't back you up. Helmets save lives, and lower extremity trauma is way, way down the list of causes of death in motorcycle crashes in data compiled by NHTSA and medical literature.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812295
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/810856
Uh actually they do and your source is far from reliable

Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 PM
miu

There is value in bicyclists and... football players wearing helmets. Even preventing a light concussion is better for your brain cells. But whatever, it's your right in NH to not wear a helmet. And I've seen a dead motorcyclist on the side of an interstate highway with the side of his head smashed flat. Not a pretty sight.

Then another witnessed aftermath of an accident... a bicyclist got pitched from his bike, and landed head first on the curb. He was very dazed, but very much alive. His helmet absorbed the impact, and thanks to the helmet, he was able to live and ride again.

But perhaps in a bad motorcycle accident, you'd just rather not survive at all if your other body parts were smashed up. *shrug*

Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There is value in bicyclists and... football players wearing helmets. Even preventing a light concussion is better for your brain cells. But whatever, it's your right in NH to not wear a helmet. And I've seen a dead motorcyclist on the side of an interstate highway with the side of his head smashed flat. Not a pretty sight.

Then another witnessed aftermath of an accident... a bicyclist got pitched from his bike, and landed head first on the curb. He was very dazed, but very much alive. His helmet absorbed the impact, and thanks to the helmet, he was able to live and ride again.

But perhaps in a bad motorcycle accident, you'd just rather not survive at all if your other body parts were smashed up. *shrug*

Route 202 NH multiple motorcycle accident.. 4 of the five died, the survivor? Helmetless.

Here enjoy some stats

FACT There is no evidence to support the claim that laws allowing adult motorcycle riders to choose whether or
not to wear a helmet result in increased health care costs. In its recent review of hospital expenses around the country,
the Kaiser Family Foundation broke down inpatient hospital expenses per day in 2012. They did this for each state and the
District of Columbia. From that information they were able to estimate how much a single day of inpatient care costs in
each state. The average daily cost for states which had mandatory motorcycle helmet laws was $2,047. The average daily
cost for states which allowed adult riders to choose whether or not to wear a motorcycle helmet was $1,987.

FACT There is no evidence to support the claim that laws allowing adult motorcycle riders to choose whether or
not to wear a helmet result in increased yearly health care premiums. The most recent report of the Joint Economic
Committee of the United States Congress on state by state premiums looked at yearly premium payments through 2006.
The average yearly premium in 2006 for single coverage health care in states which had mandatory motorcycle helmet laws
was $4,390. The average yearly premium for single coverage health care in states which allowed adult riders to choose
whether or not to wear a motorcycle helmet was $4,335. Likewise, the average yearly premium for family coverage health
care in states which had mandatory motorcycle helmet laws $11,847. The average yearly premium for family coverage
health care in states which allowed adult riders to choose whether or not to wear a motorcycle helmet was $11,490.

FACT There is no evidence to support the claim that laws allowing adult motorcycle riders to choose whether or not
to wear a helmet result in increased monthly health care premiums. The most recent report on the subject of average
monthly individual health care premiums by the Kaiser Family Foundation looked at average monthly individual health care
premiums by state for the year 2013. The average monthly individual health care premium in states which had mandatory
motorcycle helmet laws was $267.53. The average monthly individual health care premium in states which allowed adult
riders to choose whether or not to wear a motorcycle helmet was $245.26.

FACT According to preliminary data from the Governors Highway Safety Association, states that have a mandatory adult
helmet law had six fewer fatalities in 2010 than in 2009, while free choice states saw a reduction of 74. The state with the
single largest decline in fatalities (Texas -60) is a choice state and a state which requires helmets on all riders tied for
the greatest increase (New York +24).

FACT Groups such as the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety take the
position that training and education is of little to no value when it comes to motorcycle safety, and that universal
motorcycle helmet laws are the key to saving the lives of riders. Yet according to the latest information published
by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), between 2005 and 2012 motorcycle registrations have
increased 36% nationwide while motorcycle fatalities per 100,000 registered motorcycles have decreased 20%. Additionally,
motorcycle vehicle miles traveled have increased 104% during that same timeframe, while motorcycle fatalities per
100 million vehicle miles traveled have decreased 47%. Between 2005 and 2012 there has been an increased emphasis on
motorcycle training and education, with 47 states currently having state legislated motorcycle training programs in place.
During that same time frame not a single state promulgated a universal helmet law. In fact, one state, Michigan, repealed
their universal helmet law and gave adult riders the right to choose whether or not to wear a motorcycle helmet.

FACT Between 2008 and 2011, jurisdictions with mandatory motorcycle helmet laws averaged 60.26 motorcycle
related fatalities per 100,000 registered motorcycles. States with laws allowing adults to choose whether or not to wear
a helmet averaged 57.90 motorcycle related fatalities per 100,000 registered motorcycles during that same period.

FACT Between 2008 and 2011, 42% of all registered motorcycles in the United States were registered in jurisdictions
with mandatory motorcycle helmet laws. Those same jurisdictions accounted for 43% of all motorcycle related
fatalities. During the same timeframe, 58% of all registered motorcycles in the United States were registered in jurisdictions
which allowed adult riders to choose whether or not to wear a helmet. Those same jurisdictions accounted for 57% of all
motorcycle related fatalities.

In fact, time and time again it has been show that helmets have a negligible effect at best in saving lives or decreasing brain injury, the hard data bears out one truth.. it's a crap shoot..Primary source MRF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire